Understand schema builder
A schema builder provides you with an illustration of the logical structure of your application's database. The forms in your application come with the facility of interacting with each other by way of relationships. The term relationship refers to the link that is created while using a lookup or a subform field to enable one form to access the data stored in another form. Your application can have many forms with many relationships. Schema builder presents a holistic view of the forms and relationships between the related forms is a pictorial manner.
The illustration in the image represents your application in terms of forms and the existing relationships. The circles denote forms and the lines denote relationships. Each form along with its fields and reports is referred to as an entity.
- Related form in another Zoho Creator application
- Select entities that need to be displayed
- Edit form entity
- View full screen
- Print the illustration
Attributes of the schema builder:
- Provide a bird's eye view of the entities in your application
- Build a basic framework for an application that you have conceptualized
- View relationships and create new relationships without having to navigate to the builder
- View all reports associated with each form
- View all fields in each form along with the field properties that are changed
- Navigate directly to the required form's builder
Let's assume that you have an Order Management application with forms like Product Details, Stock Details, Order Details, Vendor Information, Product Catalogue, and many more. In schema builder, all these forms are portrayed graphically along with their relationships. If you click on the circle that is assigned for Product Details, the fields in the form and the reports associated with the form are displayed is their respective tabs. The fields and the enabled field properties will be available. If you need to make changes, click the edit icon to directly navigate to the form builder directly.
You can create a new relationship in schema builder. Point and drag from one form to another, select the fields in the respective forms, select the display options, and complete the procedure. Let us say you need to create a relationship between Order Details and Stock Details. You need to lookup the field Status in Stock Details from Order Details. Point the cursor on Stock Details and drag it towards Order details. The Relationship window allow appear for you to create the required relationship.
To create a new relationship:
- Click Settings. The ApplicationSettings page will appear.
- Click Schema Builder under Developer Tools. The illustration will appear.
- Drag the connector from the form that you need to lookup data to the form that you want to the data to be displayed. A pop-up window will appear.
- Select the display type.
- Click Create button. A new relationship has been established between the two forms.
Note: The Swap button allows you to interchange the direction in which you want the lookup to be created. For instance, you want to lookup Stock Details form from Order Details form but you had mistakenly dragged the connector from stock details to order details. In the following pop-up you will find that the direction of your lookup is reversed. Click the Swap button to rectify this.