You can create projects and collaborate with your team. Projects can be created newly or created from existing project templates. You can also create groups and classify projects based on your business need. And you can control the project access and privileges for other project users by making it private or public.
- Create projects
- Project templates
- Strict projects (Premium and Enterprise plans)
- Project groups
- Custom fields (Enterprise plan)
- Creating public and private projects
Get started with projects and collaborate with your team. Click Projects and then click New Project on the right side to create a New Project.
In New Project, specify the project details like Project Name, Choose a Template, Owner, Start Date, End Date, Is it a strict project, Project Overview, Show this project overview by default, Project Groups , Custom Fields , and Project Access . And the created new project is grouped in Recent Projects.
The Start Date and End Date are the default project fields. The default fields cannot be edited, reordered or deleted. These default fields are available while creating and editing projects.
You can create a new project or choose an existing project template.
- In Choose a Template, you can select any of the existing templates based on which you can publish your real time project details
- All the Milestones, task lists, tasks and other information from the chosen project template will be shifted to the newly created project
- The start time of the project activities (milestones, task list and tasks) will be shifted based on the Project Start Date of the new project
Read a forum on Project Templates.
- If you create a project from an existing project template, the Project Start Date option is enabled.
For Example: In a project template, Task A has Start After as 2 days and a Duration of 5 days, then by selecting a new Project Start Date as Jan 15 2013, the Start Date of Task A will be shifted to Jan 17 2013 and the End Date will now be Jan 22 2013. The newly selected Project Start Date will automatically shift all your milestones, tasks, subtasks, forums and documents in the selected project template.
Strict projects have a scheduled start and end date, and it is compulsory to plan project activities within this scheduled project dates. Projects following the strict methodology are more successful because their project modules cannot extend beyond the scheduled project dates.
All strict projects must mandatorily have a scheduled project start and end date, also the project cannot start and end on the same day. If you select the Make this a strict project checkbox, the project modules like Milestones, Tasks, etc., must have their start and end dates within the scheduled project Start Date and End Date. However, the Make this a strict project checkbox is available only in the Premium and Enterprise plans.
And you cannot start or extend the start and end dates for any project modules beyond the scheduled project dates. Such as,
- If you do not select the Make this a strict project checkbox option, the project modules can be scheduled without any date restrictions. Also, it is not mandatory to have a scheduled Start Date and End Date, if it is not a strict project.
Strict projects are distinct from other public and private projects in the Projects list view as they are indicated with the strict project icon. You cannot select dates beyond the project schedule dates in any of the date pickers, for strict projects. An error message is displayed whenever you do not select a valid date range for the project modules.
More information about strict projects
- Timers are not automatically stopped even after the project finish date
- You can link both tasks and bugs with different milestone dates
- Meeting and log hour duration are not restricted by the scheduled project dates
- SLA in bugs do not follow the project finish date schedule
- You can add expenses for dates even after the project finish date
- Task and event recurrence are auto-adjusted based on the project dates
- While importing task or bug, the dates may exceed the scheduled project dates
- Bugs associated to milestones, will automatically consider only the Release Milestone dates
- While associating an existing task template in a real time project, the task dates are auto-adjusted to the scheduled project dates
You can create project groups, to classify the various projects based on your convenience.
If required, in Group Name, click the Plus icon to create a new project group. You can create a new group, only if you are the Admin.
- Currently, we do not support sub projects in our project management.
Custom fields are added manually based on your business need. You might want to add certain project fields based on your business along with its default values, and in such instances you can customize the entire project by adding custom fields. The custom fields created in Settings will be displayed while creating a new project and you can choose the default values for your custom fields.
Learn More about creating custom fields.
You can choose to make your project go public or private. Private projects, can be accessed only by the selected project users, whereas public projects can be viewed and followed by all the portal users. In public projects, users will have only read access but they can view and follow projects, and add comments. However, if you are the Admin, you will have all the access privileges even for public projects.
While creating projects, in Project access, choose Private, if you want the project to be accessed only by the project users in the selected project. If you choose Public, the project will be followed and viewed by all the portal users. The public projects are highlighted with a distinct icon in the Projects list page.