The Field Update option helps you to automatically update certain field values in the records, when the associated workflow rule is triggered.
Profile Permission Required : Users with the Administrator profile can access this feature.
To create field updates
- Click Settings > Setup > Automation > Workflow > Field Updates.
- In the Workflow Field Updates page, click Configure Field Update.
- In the New Workflow Field Update page, do the following:
- Enter a Name for the field update.
- Select the Module from the drop-down list.
You can also update the field values of the related parent records associated to the record selected for workflow rule. For example: While creating workflow rules for Contacts, you will be able to update the fields of the parent Account records too.
- Select the field from the Update drop-down list that needs to be updated.
- Specify the value for the field that you want updated.
- Click Save.
- Workflow Field Updates cannot be associated to a workflow rule if the Execution Criteria selected for a rule is 'Delete'.
- You can associate a maximum of 3 field updates to each action (Instant and Time Based Actions).
- You can update the Record Owner field too using this feature.
- You can also use this feature to update a Text field and DateTime field with no value so that the field is left blank.
- Using workflow field updates, the owner of the record can be changed. If the user to be assigned is inactive or unconfirmed, the workflow field update will not be executed.
- From within a workflow rule, you can also create Workflow Field Updates to update parent record's fields.
|Record Type ||Parent Records That You Can Update |
|Contacts ||Accounts, Vendors |
|Potentials ||Accounts, Campaigns, Contacts |
|Cases ||Products, Accounts, Potentials, Contacts |
|Solutions ||Products |
|Products ||Vendors |
|Quotes ||Contacts, Accounts, Potentials |
|Sales Order ||Contacts, Accounts, Potentials, Quotes |
|Purchase Orders ||Contacts, Vendors |
|Invoices ||Accounts, Sales Orders, Contacts |
Scenario for Field Update
You want to make sure you don't lose track of all the Large Enterprise leads.
So you create a workflow rule and associate a field update to it.
Rule: Whenever a lead is created/edited with Industry as Large Enterprise and its Lead Status is Not Contacted
Action (Field Update): Update Lead Status to Contact Immediately.
First, you need to create Workflow Field Update as given below:
- Click Setup > Automation > Workflow > Field Update.
- In the Workflow Field Update page, click Configure Field Update.
- In the New Workflow Field Update page, enter a Name for the update.
- Select the Module for which the field update applies.
- Specify the Update as Lead Status = Contact Immediately.
- Click Save.
Once the field updates are created, you need to create a workflow rule with the following:
- Module - Leads
- Execute On - Create
- Rule Criteria - Lead Status is Not Contacted and Industry is Large Enterprise.
- Instant Action - Workflow Field Update (select the field update that you created)
Now, when you create a lead with the Industry as Large Enterprise and Lead Status as Not Contacted, the Status is updated automatically as Contact Immediately.