The Field Update option helps you to automatically update certain field values in the records, when the associated workflow rule is triggered.
Profile Permission Required : Users with the Administrator profile can access this feature.
To create field updates
- Click Setup > Automation > Workflow > Field Updates.
- In the Workflow Field Updates page, click Configure Field Update.
- In the New Workflow Field Update page, do the following:
- Enter a Name for the field update.
- Select the Module from the drop-down list.
You can also update the field values of the related parent records associated to the record selected for workflow rule. For example: While creating workflow rules for Contacts, you will be able to update the fields of the parent Account records too.
- Select the field from the Update drop-down list that needs to be updated.
- Specify the value for the field that you want updated.
- Click Save.
- Workflow Field Updates cannot be associated to a workflow rule if the Execution Criteria selected for a rule is 'Delete'.
- You can associate a maximum of 3 field updates to each action (Instant and Time Based Actions).
- You can update the Record Owner field too using this feature.
- You can also use this feature to update a Text field and DateTime field with no value so that the field is left blank.
- Using workflow field updates, the owner of the record can be changed. If the user to be assigned is inactive or unconfirmed, the workflow field update will not be executed.
- From within a workflow rule, you can also create Workflow Field Updates to update parent record's fields.
|Record Type ||Parent Records That You Can Update |
|Contacts ||Accounts, Vendors |
|Potentials ||Accounts, Campaigns, Contacts |
|Cases ||Products, Accounts, Potentials, Contacts |
|Solutions ||Products |
|Products ||Vendors |
|Quotes ||Contacts, Accounts, Potentials |
|Sales Order ||Contacts, Accounts, Potentials, Quotes |
|Purchase Orders ||Contacts, Vendors |
|Invoices ||Accounts, Sales Orders, Contacts |
Scenario for Field Update
While creating leads you want to update the following field values based on some criteria.
Lead Status as Contact Immediately
The criteria is, if the lead status is Not Contacted and the email address of the lead does not contain yahoo, gmail, or hotmail, then the following fields should be updated:
First, you need to create Workflow Field Updates as given below:
- Click Setup > Automation > Workflow > Field Update.
- In the Workflow Field Update page, click Configure Field Update.
- In the New Field Update page, enter a Name for the update.
- Select the Module for which the field update applies.
- Specify the Update as Lead Status = Contact Immediately.
- Click Save.
Once the field updates are created, you need to create a workflow rule with the following:
- Module - Leads
- Execute On - Create
- Rule Criteria - Lead Status is Not Contacted and Email doesn't contain yahoo, gmail, hotmail.
- Instant Action - Workflow Field Update (select the two field updates that you created)
Now, when you create a lead with an email address other than yahoo, gmail, hotmail, the Lead Type and Lead Status field values automatically get updated for the record.