You can collaborate with your employees and accountants in Zoho Books by inviting them as users and providing role based access. Since Zoho Books is an online application, multiple users can access it and work from any location.
- Adding Users
- Deleting Users
- Changing User’s Status
- Adding Custom Roles
- Restricting user access to a set of customers
Zoho Books allows you to add unlimited users. To do this, follow the steps below:
Click on the Gear icon and navigate to More Settings > Users . Click on the Invite User button provided on the top right hand side of the Users page.
Enter Email address and Name of the user.
Choose a Role. Head to Adding Custom Roles section to know more about roles.
Click Send button to send the email invitation.
The user needs to click on the Join Account link provided in the email to gain access to the organization he is invited to.
The user can be a part of this organization by clicking on the Sign up today link provided.
In case the user is already registered with Zoho Books he can login straight away to the account using his credentials.
To delete a user follow these steps:
- Click on the Gear icon and select Users from the drop-down. Hover over the user you wish to delete.
- Hover over the row of the user you wish to delete. Click on the Gear drop-down icon as seen in the image below and select Delete.
- A pop up window will appear to confirm if you wish to delete. Click OK to confirm.
- Only an admin can delete users.
- An admin cannot delete his or her own account.
- At any given point of time there has to be one admin.
Changing User’s status
In circumstances where you don’t want to permanently delete a user but would like to prevent or restrict a user from accessing Zoho Books, you can change the user’s status to inactive. This ensures that the person is no longer able to use Zoho books but remains listed as a user. You can also reactivate a user if you want him to use Zoho Books again.
To change the user’s status, follow these steps:
In the Users screen, hover over the row of the user you wish to reactivate or deactivate.
Click on the Gear drop-down icon as seen in the image below and select Mark as Inactive or Mark as Active.
Adding Custom Roles
Users can access the modules based on their role. Predefined roles are:
- Admin: has unrestricted access to all the modules. Usually this role is assigned to partners and accountants.
- Staff: has access to all modules except reports, settings and accountant.
- Timesheet Staff: A user with this role can only log time spent on a particular project and has no access to any other modules.
You can create additional roles based on your needs. To create a custom role, follow these steps:
- Go to Roles by clicking on the Gear icon and selecting Users from the drop-down.
- Create a role by clicking on the New Role button or click on the clone button to duplicate an existing role.
- Configure permissions based on your needs.
- Click Save.
- Assign the newly created role to the users.
Restricting user access to a set of customers
Zoho Books allows you to create a custom role for a user in which he/she can create, view and edit transactions for specific customers. You can then assign the user as a contact owner for that contact.
While creating a custom role, you can set permissions such that anyone in this role can only access and add new transactions only for assigned customers in the Contacts section.
In the New Role page, under the Contacts section, select,
- Customer: Allows the user to create transactions only for customers assigned to him/her.
In the users list page, hover the cursor over the name of the user, click on the Gear icon and select the option View Customers to view the customers the user has been assigned to.
Click here to learn more about assigning a user to a contact.
Note: Only Admin users can create custom roles, users and assign contact owners.