Items in Zoho Books
Items are the products or services that you sell to your customers. You can also purchase these items from your preferred vendor, in the case of a reseller-based business, for example. Create and manage the items you deal with in your business and also create price lists for specific clients.
Follow the simple steps mentioned below to create, edit and manage the items dealt in your business.
Creating a New Item
Create a new item that could be a product you sell or a service you render to your customers.
To create a new item:
Click on the Items tab.
Click on the All Items option to view the items created.
To create a new item, Click on the New Item button placed above the items window.
- The pop-up form to fill-in the details for a new item appears.
Fill-in the Name of the item to be created
Select the Unit amount from the dropdown.
Click on the Upload Image box to upload the image of the item. This feature is not available by default. If you wish to enable it, kindly refer our FAQ page for more details.
Check the box for Sales Items or Purchase Items for the category you wish to save your item.
If you are creating a new Sales Item:
Check only the Sales Information box.
Enter the rate of the item under the USD label.
Select the account you wish to record your sales in, from the Accounts dropdown.
- Select the tax you wish to impose on the item from the Tax dropdown.
P.S: Taxes shown in the dropdown are created by the user in the Taxes tab placed under More Settings Learn More
- Note down any important description about the item you wish to save under the Description text box and click on Save to create a new sales item.
If you are creating a new Purchase Item:
P.S: You can create a new purchase item, only if you enable purchase order from settings. Enabling Purchase Order
Check only the Purchase Items box.
Enter the purchase rate of the item under the USD label.
Select the account you wish to record your purchase in, under the Accounts dropdown.
If you wish to create a new purchase account, select the New Account option from the dropdown.
The pop-up form to create a new purchase account appears.
Enter the desired account name for the new purchase account to be created and add some detail to the account if you wish to in the Description text box. Click on Save and Select to add the new purchase account to the list and to select it for the new purchase item.
Note down any important description about the item you wish to save in the Description text box.
Click on Save to create a new purchase item.
If both the Sales and Purchase boxes are checked, the inventory tracking option would appear in the form to add your items for tracking inventory. Learn more about Inventory Tracking.
Importing & Exporting Items
You can now import items into your Zoho Books account from a CSV (Comma-Separated Values) or TSV (Tab-Separated Values) File and export items created from your Zoho Books account as a CSV or XLS file.
- To import items into your Zoho Books account, select the Import option from the settings drop down.
- You will be navigated to a new window wherein you can choose the CSV or TSV file to be uploaded and the character encoding involved from the drop down. By default, the character encoding is set to UTF-8(Unicode).
Click on Next to map the fields of the file you have chosen to the fields in Zoho Books.
A few points to remember:
- Items should be imported in Base currency only.
- Item code field refers to Item name in Zoho Books.
- Description refers to the Sales description provided in the item creation page.
- Similarly, Rate and Account refer to Sales rate and Sales account respectively.
- The Purchase details will be mapped only if you have mentioned the correct value in the Item Type field - Sales / Purchases / Sales and Purchases.
- To export items from your Zoho Books account, select he Export as CSV or Export as XLS option from the settings drop down.
- Click on the CSV or XLS option and save the file into your desired location.
You can also mark your items as Active, Inactive and Delete your items.
You can edit the details of the items you created by clicking on the specific items.
To mark the item as Active or Inactive and to Delete, click on the check-box for selecting the items you wish to do the action for.
After selecting the items, you will be able to view the Mark as Active button, Mark as Inactive button and the Delete icon on top of the items window.
Click on the Mark as Active button to make an inactive item to active state, click on the Mark as Inactive button to make an active item to inactive state.
Click on the Delete icon and select OK from the pop-up to permanently delete the items selected.
Note: If the items that you wish to delete have already been part of any transactions, they cannot be deleted. Instead, they can be marked as Inactive.