Yes, you can set up custom approvals if you want more than two stages of approval for a record. However, if your organization has a two-level approval process, you can opt for the hierarchical approval option.
Custom approval is based on a level-based hierarchy. The submitted report will first have to get approved by the Level one Approver, followed by the Level two Approver, and so on.
To enable and create a new custom approval flow:
- Click Admin View.
- Click the icon in the top right corner.
- Go to Approvals under Automation.
- Click the module for which you want to enable custom approvals and select Custom Approval.
- Click + New Custom Approval.
- You can configure the criteria based on which the approval flow will be triggered.
- Next, select any of the following approvers to configure an approval flow:
Submits To: It refers to the default approver of the user. It follows the reporting hierarchy in your organization.
Choose an approver manually: Select an approver manually from the existing users.
Project Head: This option is selected in case a particular report is associated with a project and needs the approval of the Project Head.
Project Heads of Expenses: It refers to the Project Heads of all the expenses in a report or a trip.
Department Head of the logged-in user: It refers to the Head of the Department to which the owner of the report belongs.
Department Head: Approver will be the Department Head of the department you choose.
Choose a Lookup Field: Approver will be the user selected in the lookup custom field you have chosen.
You can remove an approval flow by clicking the (-) icon in the right corner of the flow.
- Click Save. Now, your approval flow has been created.