Domain Verification in Zoho
You need to verify the domain added in Zoho, to ensure that it is a valid domain and you have the required privileges in the domain to manage the email services.
Table of Contents
- CNAME Method
- General Instructions for verifying using CNAME Method
- CNAME Verification steps for some popular DNS Providers
- Verifying the CNAME Added
- TXT Method
- HTML Method
Domain Verification is an essential step to ensure that the domain you added is Valid, Not expired and the user who added the domain has the required privileges to access DNS and decide about the email service for the domain. It is a mandatory step to ensure that the domain is not Spoofed domain and to prevent any loss of service due to the misuse of domain names.
The steps like DNS access is needed not only to verify the domain but also to configure email delivery for the domain.
Zoho Mail provides three different verification methods for you to choose from:
- CNAME Method - Add a unique 'CNAME' record specified by us in the domain's DNS Manager.
- TXT Record Method - Add a specific TXT Record, in the given format in the domain's DNS Manager
- HTML Method - Upload the given HTML file in the specific folder as provided in our instructions, under the root of your website.
The detailed instructions to verify your domain by CNAME Method for some popular DNS hosts, are available in the above links.
In some cases, you might have registered the domain with a provider but changed the NS (Name Server) hosting to a different provider. In this case, the CNAME/ TXT should be added in your new DNS host. The DNS records like MX, CNAME are returned by your Name Servers and are available with your DNS Host. You can get the help of your DNS Registrar/ DNS host to get assistance in this.
Once you have verified the domain, the CNAME or the HTML file can be removed and is no longer necessary. Once your domain is in verified state, in case you switch your DNS provider, you need to check the MX records of the domain alone. Most DNS providers reset the MX entries during DNS shift or change.
CNAME Method for verifying the domain involves two steps. Generating the unique CNAME code in Zoho and adding the code in your DNS Manager. Once it is successfully added, you can click verify to verify the domain.
Generate unique code in Zoho
- Login to your Zoho Mail account as Super Admin
- Click Control Panel >> Domains
- Click the validate icon (!) next to the domain you added in Zoho, which has to be verified.
- This will launch the setup wizard with Domain Verification details.
- Select CNAME tab to generate the unique zb code for your domain. Notedown (or copy) the unique zb****** code generated for your account.
- Once you have copied the zb code, select your domain provider from the drop down, to see the step by step instructions specific to your provider.
- The code generated zb***** is unique and different for each domain added in Zoho.
You can use any valid domain in Zoho, as long as you have the required access to manage the DNS records of the domain. The generic steps or instructions to create CNAME for verification are provided below. You can use these instructions, if your specific domain provider is not available in the above list. You can also request your domain provider to create a CNAME with the code generated in Zoho, if you are unable to do it on your own.
- Log in to your account where your domain's DNS is hosted. (Your Domain’s Administrative DNS Host)
- Open your Domain Management Page to update the DNS Records (DNS Manager or DNS Control Panel or Advanced DNS editor).
- Locate the option to add CNAME records (Generally found under DNS Records, you can also consult the help page of your registrar in case you are not clear)
- In the Name/ Host/ Alias/ CNAME add the code generated in Zoho zb********.
- In the Value/ Points To/ Destination field add zmverify.zoho.com.
Name/ Host/ Alias/ CNAME
Value/ Points To/ Destination/CNAME
- If the TTL is editable, reduce the TTL to 300 seconds or the minimum possible value recommended by your Registrar.
- Click Save or Add Record option to save the CNAME Records.
You can check the validity of the CNAME by providing zb******.yourdomain.com in the browser. It will be redirected to Zoho login page. It denotes that the CNAME is correctly added.
In case, you get an error during verification, refer here to troubleshoot the common reasons for verification failure.
You can also verify your domain by TXT method. In this method, you will create a TXT record in your DNS manager with the provided values.
- Select the TXT Method tab, in the Domain Verification page.
- Create a TXT record in your DNS with the title as zoho-verification and the value as zmverify.zoho.com
- The host name should be @/ domain name for the text record you add.
- The value should be zoho-verification=zb*****.zmverify.zoho.com, where the zb code is autogenerated and available in the verification page.
- Once you save the TXT record, wait for some time.
- Login to your Zoho Account >> Control Panel >> Domains page and Click on Verify
You can also verify your domain by HTML method. In this method, you will be adding the file we provide in a specified path under your website page. When you click Verify, it will look for the particular file in your website, and verify your domain based on the file. Given below are the steps to verify a domain by the HTML method. Generally the website may be hosted by any website hosting provider like WordPress or GoDaddy etc.
- Select the HTML Method tab, in the Domain Verification page.
- Download the 'verifyforzoho.html' file from the 'Click here' link in the page.
- The content of the file will vary for each domain and is usually a unique string of numbers.
- Log in to your account provided by your website hosting company.
- Create a folder in root called 'zohoverify'.
- Upload the file to ./zohoverify/verifyforzoho.html'.
- You should now be able to view the code, when you click the webpage link.
- Click on "Verify"
Once you have added the HTML file as mentioned, you can check the same by typing www.yourdomain.com/zohoverify/verifyforzoho.html in the browser. It will display a 13 digit numeric code linked to your new domain.