Domain Verification in Zoho
When you add a domain in Zoho to have custom email associated with the domain, you need to verify the domain first. For that, you need to ensure that you have the necessary permissions to modify the DNS records associated with the domain. In case you do not have the required privileges to edit the DNS, you need to get the assistance of someone who has access to those details. This is essential to complete the email hosting setup of the domain with Zoho.
Table of Contents
- One-click Verification
- Manual Verification
- CNAME Method
- General Instructions for verifying using CNAME Method
- CNAME Verification steps for some popular DNS Providers
- Verifying the CNAME Added
- TXT Method
- HTML Method
- Troubleshoot Verification
Domain Verification is an essential step to ensure that the domain you have added is a valid domain, which has not expired. It is also important to verify that the user who added the domain has the required privileges to access DNS and decide about the email service for the domain. It is a mandatory step to ensure that the domain is not Spoofed domain and to prevent any loss of service due to the misuse of domain names.
The DNS access is required not only for Domain verification, but also to configure email delivery of the domain by changing the MX records of the domain.
Zoho Mail provides One-click verification for selected providers. There are manual verification methods like CNAME/ TXT/ HTML using which the domains can be verified.
In the one-click verification method, you can verify your domain in a few simple steps. Once you reach the Domain Verification step, select the One-click Verification option, login to your DNS provider and authenticate your Zoho Mail account to use your DNS provider. Zoho Mail will add the DNS record to verify your domain.
Currently, one-click verification isavailable only for 1 & 1 domain holders. Click here for detailed instructions.
In manual verification, you can verify using any of the following methods:
- CNAME Method - Add a unique 'CNAME' record specified by us in the domain's DNS Manager.
- TXT Record Method - Add a specific TXT Record, in the given format in the domain's DNS Manager
- HTML Method - Upload the given HTML file in the specific folder as provided in our instructions, under the root of your website.
The detailed instructions to verify your domain by CNAME Method for some popular DNS hosts, are available in the above links.
Change in Host:
In some scenarios, the domain registrar might be different from the actual DNS Host. You would have registered the domain with a provider (Provider 1), but changed the NameServer to a different provider (Provider 2) by changing the NameServers (NS) of your domain. In this case Provider 2 - the provider with whom your NameServers are pointed will hold the DNS Manager. The DNS records like MX, CNAME, TXT etc should be changed with the Provider 2 i.e.. the DNS Manager. When the other servers look up these records, the values will be returned by the DNS Manager (Provider 2).
In case you are not sure, you can get the assistance of your DNS registrar or the DNS host to get this done.
Once you have verified the domain, the CNAME (zb code zb***** ) or the HTML file can be removed and is no longer necessary. If your domain is already verified, and you switch your DNS provider, you need not add the zb code or CNAME again. You should definitely check the MX records of your domain after you change the DNS. Most of the DNS providers reset the MX records during the DNS change or switch.
CNAME Method for verifying the domain involves two steps. Generating the unique CNAME code in Zoho and adding the code in your DNS Manager. Once it is successfully added, you can click verify to verify the domain.
Generate unique code in Zoho
- Login to your Zoho Mail account as Super Admin
- Click Control Panel >> Domains
- Click the validate icon (!) next to the domain you added in Zoho, which has to be verified.
- This will launch the setup wizard with Domain Verification details.
- Select CNAME tab to generate the unique zb code for your domain. Note down (or copy) the unique zb****** code generated for your account.
- Once you have copied the zb code, select your domain provider from the drop down, to see the step by step instructions specific to your provider.
- The code generated zb***** is unique and different for each domain added in Zoho.
You can use any valid domain in Zoho, as long as you have the required access to manage the DNS records of the domain. The generic steps or instructions to create CNAME for verification are provided below. You can use these instructions if your specific domain provider is not available in the above list.
You can also request your domain provider to create a CNAME with the code generated in Zoho, if you are unable to do it on your own.
- Log in to your account where your domain's DNS is hosted. (Your Domain’s Administrative DNS Host)
- Open your Domain Management Page to update the DNS Records (DNS Manager or DNS Control Panel or Advanced DNS editor).
- Locate the option to add CNAME records (Generally found under DNS Records, you can also consult the help page of your registrar in case you are not clear.)
- In the Name/ Host/ Alias/ CNAME add the code generated in Zoho zb********.
- In the Value/ Points To/ Destination field add zmverify.zoho.com.
Name/ Host/ Alias/ CNAME
Value/ Points To/ Destination/CNAME
- If the TTL is editable, reduce the TTL to 300 seconds or the minimum possible value recommended by your Registrar.
- Click Save or Add Record option to save the CNAME Records.
You can check if the CNAME value has propagated by using the Zoho Toolkit. You can perform a CNAME lookup in this link and check the CNAME values. Once the values have been updated, you can proceed with the verification.
In case, you get an error during verification, refer here to troubleshoot the common reasons for verification failure.
You can also verify your domain by TXT method. In this method, you will create a TXT record in your DNS manager with the provided values.
- Select the TXT Method tab, in the Domain Verification page.
- Create a TXT record in your DNS with the title as zoho-verification and the value as zmverify.zoho.com
- The hostname should be @/ domain name for the text record you add.
- The value should be zoho-verification=zb*****.zmverify.zoho.com, where the zb code is auto generated and available in the verification page.
- Once you save the TXT record, wait for some time.
- Login to your Zoho Account >> Control Panel >> Domains page and Click on Verify.
The Zoho Toolkit is a free lookup tool by Zoho for all your DNS-related lookup queries. You can check if the CNAME/ TXT values you entered have propagated, lookup existing DNS values and perform many other admin-related activities. Learn more.For detailed instructions on using the Toolkit, click here.
You can also verify your domain by HTML method. In this method, you will be adding the file we provide in a specified path under your website page. When you click Verify, it will look for the particular file in your website, and verify your domain based on the file. Given below are the steps to verify a domain by the HTML method. Generally, the website may be hosted by any website hosting provider like WordPress or GoDaddy etc.
- Select the HTML Method tab, in the Domain Verification page.
- Download the 'verifyforzoho.html' file from the 'Click here' link in the page.
- The content of the file will vary for each domain and is usually a unique string of numbers.
- Log in to your account provided by your website hosting company.
- Create a folder in root called 'zohoverify'.
- Upload the file to ./zohoverify/verifyforzoho.html'.
- You should now be able to view the code when you click the webpage link.
- Click on Verify.
Once you have added the HTML file as mentioned, you can check the same by typing www.yourdomain.com/zohoverify/verifyforzoho.html in the browser (Replace yourdomain.com with your actual domain name). It will display a 13 digit numeric code linked to your new domain.