The meals are taxable while the tips are not. Can I record both together, without applying tax on the tip?
Let’s say you meet a client for lunch and would like to record that expense in Zoho Expense. You might want to apply tax only on the food and not on the tip you paid. In this case, you can split the expense into taxable and non-taxable portions by itemizing the expense.
- Go to Expenses on the left sidebar.
- Click + New Expense in the top right side of the page.
- Enter the expense Date and select a Merchant.
- Click the Itemize option in the right corner of the Amount field of the expense form. The form expands to include expenses as items.
- Enter the meal expense as your first item and apply tax on it.
- Add the tip you paid as your second item and associate it with a different category, if necessary. The expense total will be calculated automatically, with tax applied only to the meal expense.
- Associate the expense with the customer and make it billable, if required.
- Add it to an existing report or to a new report.
- Click Save and Close.