What if you can authorize a user in your organization to perform actions on your behalf? Zoho Expense lets you delegate your expense reporting work to another user, without sharing your login credentials. Introducing the delegation workflow in your organization will allow you to delegate tasks to other users when you are away from work.
Let’s take a scenario where Patricia, the business head will be organizing an important business meet in her office. A lot of expenses might be incurred and what if she has to add expenses each time she incurs one? Patricia might be busy with meetings and closing business deals and might not be able to focus on tracking expenses! Patricia wonders what can be done, and immediately sets up the delegation workflow. She adds her assistant as a delegate, chooses the tasks the delegate can do on her behalf and starts preparing for the meet.
Similarly, you can setup the delegation workflow in your organization and add delegates to perform actions on your behalf. You can also specify an access end date, past which they will lose their delegate access and you take complete control over your account.
This document will help you learn about:
Setting-up the Delegation Workflow
You can setup the delegation workflow in your organization by following the steps below.
Adding a Delegate
The first step in setting-up the delegation workflow is to add a new delegate to whom you can delegate all your tasks. Please note that you can add only one delegate for yourself, but you can be a delegate to any number of users. To add a delegate:
- Log in to your Zoho Expense organization and click your profile image in the top-right corner.
- Click the + Add Delegate option.
- Select the Delegates option.
- Under My Delegates, click the + add delegate button.
- Select the user you wish to add as your delegate under the Delegate Access to field.
- Select the Access Type and End Date.
- Click Save.
Note: If you do not specify an end date, the date will be set as indefinite, i.e., the delegate will have access until you revoke it manually.
Currently, the access type is restricted to Submit Access where the delegate can only create and submit expense reports.
Editing or Deleting a Delegate
Once you have added a delegate, you can also choose to edit your delegate or delete them based on your preference. To do so:
- Go to your profile and select Delegates.
- Select the delegate under the My Delegates field.
- Make the required changes in the pop-up and hit Save.
- To delete a delegate, select the trash icon in the pop-up and confirm the action.
The Delegate’s View in Zoho Expense refers to what the delegatee(the person to whom tasks are delegated) can see in the delegator’s (the person who delegates) account. Once a user has been added as a delegate, they can switch from their view to the delegate view by following the steps given below:
- Sign into your Zoho Expense organization and click your profile icon in the top-right corner.
- Select Delegates.
- In the following screen, you can view the list of delegators in the Delegated to Me section.
- Click the user for whom you would like to perform actions and you will be taken to the Delegate’s View to access on their behalf.
- If you wish to switch back to your view, just click the SWITCH TO YOUR VIEW option, present in the top of your screen.
- Alternatively, you can also go to your profile details and select SWITCH TO YOUR VIEW.
Abilities of a delegate
Once you have added a delegate and setup the workflow, the delegate can start performing actions on your behalf. Let’s see in detail what are the abilities of a delegate when he is given the Submit Access.
What are the modules that a delegate can view?
The delegates will be able to view and access the following modules:
- Receipt Inbox
- Advance Payments
What are the abilities of a delegate?
A delegate can usually view all transactions added by them and can’t view the transactions in the approved and reimbursed status that are added by the delegator. The following table explains the actions that can be performed by a delegate:
|Receipt Inbox||Upload reciepts and convert them to expenses.||1. Unreported Reciepts added by the delegator.
2. All reciepts uploaded by the delegate.
|Expenses||Create new expenses and add them to reports.||1. Expenses created by the delegator in the Unreported, Unsubmitted, Submitted and Rejected status.
2. Expenses in all statuses created by the delegate.
|Reports||Create and submit reports.||1. Reports created by the delegator in the Draft, Submitted, Rejected and Recalled status.
2. Reports in all statuses created by the delegate.
|Cards||Categorize and match transactions.||1. All corporate cards associated to the user.|
|Advance Payments||Record or request advance payments||1. Unreported advance payments requested by the delegator.
2. All advance payments raised by the delegate.
Note: Currently , delegates can only create and submit expense reports. We do have plans to provide approval access to delegates.