Credits in Zoho Subscriptions represent the money that you owe your customer. A credit note is issued in the customer’s name in order to keep track of this debt until it’s paid off. The debt remains until it’s refunded or subtracted from the next invoice you send your customer.
In this page…
- Create a credit note
- View a credit note
- Associate Template
- Credit Note Status
- Refund a credit note
- Redeem a credit note
- Credit note details report
In the following scenarios, a credit note is automatically generated for the respective difference in cost.
- If a subscription is downgraded from a higher tier plan to a lower tier plan.
- If the quantity of addons are reduced in a subscription.
- If the quantity of plans are reduced in a subscription.
- If a recurring addon is removed from a subscription.
A credit note can also be created manually.
Create a credit note
Follow the below steps to manually create a credit note:
- Go to Customers tab and select the customer for whom a credit note has to be created.
- Click on More and choose New Credit Note as shown in the image below.
- Then give your Reference #, Plan Name, Addon Name, Customer Notes and Terms & Conditions and click Save. Credit Note will be created.
View a credit note
Follow the below steps to view a credit note:
- Go to Customers tab and select the customer.
- Click on Transactions section and filter by Credit. Credit notes for that particular customer will be listed there.
Follow the below steps to associate template to a credit note.
- Go to the Customers tab and select the customer.
- Click on More present at the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on Associate Templates. Choose your preferred template there and click Save.
A template can be associated while creating a credit note.
Credit Note Status
- Open - When a credit note still holds some unused credits.
- Void - When a credit note is voided.
- Closed - When a credit note is redeemed or refunded completely.
Refund a credit note
Follow the below steps to refund a credit note:
- Go to the Customers tab and select the customer for whom refund has to be made.
- Click on Transactions.
- Select an open credit note and click on the Refund button.
- Enter the amount of credits to be refund and click Save.
Redeem a credit note
Redeem is nothing but to regain something. In Zoho Subscriptions, credits that are unused can be redeemed in the course of creating, updating and renewing a subscriptions. Follow the below steps to redeem a credit note:
- Click on the gear icon present at the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on More Settings.
- Choose Preferences from the left navigation pane.
- Move to Invoice and under Credit Notes enable Redeem Credit Notes as shown in the image below.
NOTE:- When you downgrade a subscription from higher tier plan to lower tier plan, a credit note gets created. In such cases the credit note gets automatically redeemed without enabling Redeem Credit Notes.
Credit note details report
Credit note details can be viewed and also exported either in CSV or PDF format from the report section by following the below steps:
- Click on Reports tab.
- Move to Transactions present on the left navigation pane and then choose Credit Note Details.
- Filter accordingly and click on Show Report.
- To print and export click on Print/Export as CSV/PDF present at the top left corner of the credit note details screen.