Choose and customise templates in Zoho Books. Customise color, font, font sizes and a lot more in the templates. Select information that needs to be shown or change text for the labels.
Sections that can be customised in templates.
1) Template Properties
2) Header & Document Information
3) Item Table
To customise templates,
- Go to > Templates.
Here you can choose the module for which you wish to customise the template for,
- Sales Orders
- Credit Notes
- Purchase Orders
- Retainer Invoices
- Payment Receipts
- Customer Statements
* You can either customise the pre-loaded templates or add a new template by selecting the +New button on the New Template section. The new template option will allow you to create a template by asking you to choose one of a pre-loaded templates as the base. * To edit a template, hover over the template you wish to edit and select the Edit button. * After editing, press the Save button to save the changes.
Common-to-All Modules Customisation
Here are the common-to-all customisation, that can be done in all the above mentioned modules.
This allows you to change the look of the template. From background color, font sizes and colors to adding a background image can be done here. Also allows you to change the way your company address and customer’s name looks.
|1) Template Name||Name of the template that you customize according to your wish.|
|2) Paper Size||This is for printing purposes. Either A4 or Letter sizes can be selected.|
|3) Orientation||You can choose either the Portrait or Landscape layout for your PDF.|
|4) Margins (in inches)||Margins present around the template.|
|5) PDF Font||Font to be used on the PDF. Select from different fonts from the drop down.
Note: On selecting the font, a note appears beneath it briefing about the different languages the particular font supports.
|6) Show Organisation Logo||The logo uploaded in organisation profile will be placed on the template.|
|7) Add Attention Content||You may want to draw your customer’s attention towards an important message in an invoice. Eg: Your magazine subscription is valid until 12th December.
You can insert placeholders for your content from the placeholder drop down.
|8) Background Image Position||Add a background image of your company’s logo or any icon and adjust the image positioning from the drop down provided.|
|9) Background Color||Background color of the template.|
|10) Label Color||Color of all the labels provided on the template.|
|11) Font Color & Size||Font color, size for the information and attention content. The font color will be applied to the Terms & Conditions content.|
|12) Customer Name||To adjust font color and size just for the customer’s name on the template.|
|13) Company||Check the box to Show Organisation Address. customise the font color and size with labels for phone and fax.|
Header & Document Information
This allows you to change the look of the header and the information present in the document. customise the background image, position and even the header content. If it’s a multi-page document, choose if the header should repeat or not. Also customise the labels and layout for the information present.
|1) Background Image & Position||Background image for the header section can be added here and position can be set from the drop down.|
|2) Background Color||This background color is only for the header section.|
|3) Header Content||Content present on top of the document. customise the content by selecting the Customise your header content option. customise from font size, color, alignment to inserting placeholders and tables in the content.|
|4) Multi-Page Header customisation||If the document is a multi-pager and if you wish to have different header content for the first page alone, check the Apply to first page only box.
You can also set the header height for the first page alone and customise the header content for other pages.
|5) Document Title, Font & Color||Customise the title of the document and also customise the font size and color as you wish.|
|6) Change Label||Customise the label names for the fields provided in the document.
Due Date (Available in Sales Order, Purchase Order, Invoice)
Contact’s VAT Number Field (Available except for Purchase Order)
Sales Person (Available in Estimate, Invoice, Sales Order)
Ship To (Available in Estimate, Sales Order, Invoice, Purchase Order)
If you wish to hide any of the fields from the template, check the box present next to the field off.
This allows you to show or hide columns related to items and customise those labels. Also you can customise the way item table looks, from table header to item row and description.
Serial Number, Item, Description, Quantity, Rate, VAT Rate(%), VAT Amount, Discount, Amount, are the field labels that can be renamed as your wish. If you wish to hide any of the fields from the template, check the box present next to the field off.
Customise the font color, size and background color of Table Header, Item Row and also the font size and color of Item Description. Also customise the color for Table Header.
This allows you to show or hide labels related to the Total section and customise those labels. Also you can customise the way Total section looks.
Total, Sub total, Items in Total are the field labels that can be renamed as you wish. If you wish to hide any of the fields from the template, check the box present next to the field off. You can also customise the position of currency symbol to be before or after the amount. At times, you might need to show the number of items on the transaction. Checking the Quantity box will help you in showing the number of items present.
To show the Summary Table for UK VAT check the Show UK VAT summary table box. This will be available only in the case of customers whose currency is not GBP. The VAT Summary table consists of details of the net amount and VAT rates charged for a particular invoice.
Customise the font size, color and background color of Sub Total and Total section. Customising the Sub Total section will also apply to Items in Total section.
- This allows you to customise labels related to Notes, Terms & Conditions, Signature. Also you can customise the way the content related to Notes, Terms & Conditions by adjusting their font size.
- Signature is available in all the modules except for Purchase Orders. You can enable the signature field by checking the box next to the signature label field. customise the label if you wish and add an image for the signature if required.
- Footer content can be added by selecting the Customise your footer content and customised by adjusting font size, color and background color.
- Background image can be added for the footer section and can be positioned by selecting the option from the drop down.
- For a multi-page document, you can choose to show the page numbers on the document. Check the Show Page Number box to enable it.
Module Specific Customisation
Apart from the common customisation available in different modules, there are specific customisation provided for every module.
- In the Estimate module, the Expiry Date field under Header & Document Information section is added. You can choose to show/hide the field by checking the box on or off and customise the label name.
- In the Total section, a field for Shipping Charges is also added and the label can be customised.
- In the invoice module, the option to add a Payment Stub is provided under Template Properties. Check the Do you want to use a ‘payment stub’ box to enable it. The labels for Payment Stub and Amount Enclosed can be customised.
What is a Payment Stub?
Let’s say you have sent an invoice to your customer and he decided to pay you by cash or check. This payment stub section will be added in your invoice for your reference of the amount being paid and your customer can return the invoice with the cash or check attached to you.
- The Terms field has been added under Header & Document Information. This will show the payment terms information on the invoice. You can choose to show/hide the field by checking the box on or off and customise the label name.
- You can also choose to show the status as a stamp on the invoices by checking the Show Status Stamp option under Header & Document Information.
Paid, Partially Paid, Void and Draft are the statuses shown. This will be shown only in the PDF and not in the preview.
- As invoices can be created for projects too, provision for customising labels such as Project Item, Project Description and Project Quantity are given under Item Table > Labels > For Invoices Created from Projects.
- For the Total section, Shipping Charges, Hours in Total under Quantity (for projects) are added. You can also choose to show Payment Details which will have Payment Made, Credits Applied, Amount Withheld, Write Off Amount & Balance Due fields under it. You can choose to show/hide the field by checking the box on or off and customise the label name.
- In the Footer, you can choose to show the Online Payment Options by checking the Online Payment Link box. In case you do not have the option and would opt for a bank transfer or any other offline means, you can add the required details on the template by selecting the Add your bank details option. This will be displayed below the customer notes.
- In the Purchase Order module, the usual Customer Name section has been changed as Vendor Name section under Template Properties. Font color and size can be customised.
- The Shipment Preference field under Header & Document Information section is added. You can choose to show/hide the field by checking the box on or off and customise the label name.
- In the Sales Order module, the Delivery Method field under Header & Document Information section is added. You can choose to show/hide the field by checking the box on or off and customise the label name.
- For the Total section, you can also choose to show Payment Details which will have Credits Used, Refund, Credits Remaining fields under it. You can choose to show/hide the field by checking the box on or off and customise the label name.
The Header & Document Information and Item Table tabs have been replaced by Receipt Information and Invoice Details tabs in the Payment Receipts module.
The fields for Over Payment, Payment Refund, Amount Received and Currency Symbol have been added. For Over Payment and Payment Refund, you can choose to show/hide the field by checking the box on or off and customise the label name.
You can also choose to Show Invoice Details which will have Payment for, Invoice#, Invoice Date, Invoice Amount, Withholding Tax and Payment Amount under it. You can choose to show/hide the field by checking the box on or off and customise the label name.
Creating Templates in Multiple Languages
There might be a case where your customers might prefer to have the invoice delivered to them in their native language. Zoho Books allows you to create invoice templates in multiple languages. You can associate the template to a contact of your choice.
To create a template in a different language:
- Click on the Gear icon on the top-right corner and select More Settings.
- In the page that follows, click on the Templates section and choose the type of template, say invoice template.
- Click on the + New button present within the New Template section.
- A pop-up window will display all the available templates.
- Hover your mouse over the template of your choice, and click on the Use This button.
- In the window that follows, you will be asked to enter a name (optional) for your template, and choose a language in which it will be displayed.
- Choose the language of your choice by clicking the Language drop-down, say Spanish, and click on the Continue button.
- Configure the template properties, and click on the Save button. Now, your chosen template will be added to your list of templates.
The next step is associating your newly created template to a contact. To know more, kindly take a look at our help document for Associating PDF Templates
The same can be done for all types of templates (Estimates, Credit Note, Sales Order, and Retainer Invoice)
Creating Email Templates in Multiple Languages
Apart from creating and sending PDF templates in multiple languages, you can also create email templates in a different language and associate them to a contact.
To create an email template in a different language:
- Click on the Gear icon on the top-right corner and select More Settings.
- In the page that follows, click on the Email Templates section and choose the type of email template, say invoice notification.
- Click on the + New button present on the top right corner and a new email template window will open on the screen.
- Give your template a name and enter the content in your preferred language.
- Once you’re done click on the Save button.
The next step is associating your newly created template to a contact. To know more, kindly take a look at our help document for Associating Email Templates
Clone Templates from one module to another
You might follow a certain standard template for all your business documents, you need not go to each and every module to create it. You can simply clone the template of your choice, from one module to another.
To clone a template :
- Click on the Gear icon on the home screen of Zoho Books.
- Select Templates from the panel that appears.
- Select the module from the left panel, from where you wish to clone the template.
- Hover over the template and find the Gear icon next to Edit button.
- Click on the Gear icon and select a module from Clone as option , to clone the template