Create Users and Mail Accounts
Once your domain has been verified, you can set up user mail accounts by clicking 'Add users' or 'Import users' from the Control Panel. You can choose to add users one at a time by email address or use the bulk upload feature to import up to 200 users at a time with a .csv file.
Advanced users and large organizations can get in touch at email@example.com for help with the 'Active Directory Import wizard' in order to create a user base from their active directory.
Once your domain has been verified using either the CNAME/ TXT or HTML methods, the email hosting for the domain will be enabled automatically. You can enable or disable email hosting for a domain by clicking the Mail icon for that domain in the domains page.
If mail hosting for a domain is enabled, an account will only be created for the user when you add them. If mail hosting is disabled, the user will be created without a domain-based mail account.
When you disable a domain's email hosting, all aliases based on that domain will be deleted.
- Log in to www.zoho.com/mail as an Admin or Super Admin.
- Click Control Panel, then select User Details.
- Click Add User from the upper portion of the page.
- Enter the user's first name, last name and email address in the appropriate text box, then select a domain from the drop-down menu.
- Provide a password for the user (refer password policy). Make sure the user receives this password, as they will need it to log in to their account.
Click on the 'Force user to change password during the first login' checkbox if you want the password you have set to be changed by the user on first logging in.
- Click Ok, and the user will be created.
When you create a user, they will be able to login to their account and send emails immediately. However, they will not receive any emails until the domain's MX entries are pointed to the Zoho Mail servers. The domain's MX Records can be cross-verified at www.mxtoolbox.com, a third-party tool that is used to check the domain's DNS records.
To set up users in Zoho Mail by importing from a .csv file.
- Login to www.zoho.com/mail as an Admin/ Super Admin
- Click Control Panel, then select User Details
- Select the Import from CSV option
- Download the sample CSV file from the right side pane.
- In the sample CSV file, enter the users' first name and last name in their respective columns, 'username' in the Name column and the 'Password' in the appropriate column.
- The other columns are optional, and you may provide the values based on your requirements. Once you have entered all the appropriate data, save the file in .csv format.
- Click Choose File, to select the file that you choose to import.
- Select the primary domain, for which the accounts will be created.
- Click on the 'Force user(s) to change password during the first login' checkbox if you want the password you have set to be changed by the user(s) on first logging in.
- If you have multiple domains and wish to have domain-based aliases, click More, to view and select the additional domains in your organization.
If your Organization has a CRM account or if you are a Zoho CRM Administrator and want to set up mail hosting for the entire domain, you can directly associate the users you already have in Zoho CRM with Zoho Mail Suite, using the 'Import from CRM' option. The Super Admin in CRM must also be either an Admin or Super Admin in Zoho Mail to utilize this option. 'Invite from CRM' option will only work when a CRM Admin logs into Zoho Mail and uses the Import from CRM option.
To import users from CRM:
- Log in to mail.zoho.com as a CRM Super Admin.
- Open the Control Panel and click User Details.
- Click Import Users from CRM.
- The users in your CRM Organization (with matching domain-based email addresses) will be added directly to the Zoho Mail Suite.
- Any other users in your organization can be added using the CSV file or Add user option.
CRM users with email addresses from the same domain can only be imported directly to Zoho Mail. Users with a different domain-based address must be invited to the organization.
If a CRM user who needs to be imported has already set up another organization, an error will occur. The user must log in to their account, and delete that organization in order to join yours. Only then the user can join this organization. Detailed instructions to delete an organization can be found on this help page. Those users should not close their account as it might lead to data loss.
If any of your organization's users have already registered and linked their Zoho accounts with their domain-based accounts, they can be invited to Zoho.
- Open the Add users section, then enter the users' registered email address.
- The invited users will receive an email at their domain-based email addresses.
- When a user accepts the invitation, they will be asked to provide their Zoho credentials.
- Once the user is authenticated, they will become a part of your organization.
- This will avoid the loss of data if the user already has any other Zoho applications like CRM, Recruit etc linked to his account.
- At this point, the organization administrator can reset the account password if required.
If a user already has a business account with Zoho, they won't be able to join your organization. In this case, the user will need to remove their existing organization from their account.
Once a user becomes a part of your organization, any data in their email account will be treated as organization data. If a user account is removed or deleted from your organization, any data associated with that account will be deleted permanently and cannot be recovered. If a user wants to continue using their Zoho account without the organizational link, they can remove their association with the organization by changing their account's primary email address.
Zoho Mail provides tools to discover and create corresponding users and email accounts in Zoho Mail, automatically.
- Install the Zoho Mail Active Directory User Provisioning Wizard in your system.
- When you execute the Wizard, you will be requested to provide the Super Admin credentials.
- You need to provide the Server in which the Active Directory is installed.
- You should have the details of the LDAP query to be used to list the users of the organization.
- You need to map the attributes of the Active Directory with the fields provided for Zoho Mail users.
- Based on the LDAP query and the attribute selection, the results will be displayed.
- After validating the results with your organization's user details, click 'Finish' to provision the users in Zoho Mail.
You can request the LDAP tool for User Provisioning, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your organization details.
You can view a list of all the users that are created in your organization by logging in to mailadmin.zoho.com and navigating to the User Details section. Alternatively, you can also access the User Details menu using this link.
You can search for specific users using the search toolbar on the top right corner of the Groups page.
Users can also be filtered by the role assigned to them using the Filters option on the top right corner of the page. Further, you can also view the list of users associated with a particular domain by choosing the relevant domain from the Filters listing.
User Listing options
Zoho Mail provides many options in the Group listing page, that makes it easy to perform certain functions on groups. You can add new users, import users, export user details, apply email policies, allocate location and delete users.
In case you need to export user details you can make use of the Export User(s) option from the Users listing page. You will be able to find three options in the export menu.
- If you click the Export User option, all users associated with your organization will get exported as a .csv file.
- If you have selected certain groups using the checkbox, and click the Export User option, you will find an additional Export selected Users option. This will export only the users that you have selected.
- If you filtered groups by domain, and then select the Export User option, you will find an additional Export all filtered Users option. This will export all the users created for the selected domain.
You can apply email policies to Users from the listing. When you click this option, all configured policies will be listed. You can select the required policy, and apply it to the groups on your listing. You can also add a new policy by clicking the Add New option in the listing.
You can select users using the respective checkbox, and click the Delete option from the top menu.
Once you have created the user accounts, send them their login information and have them test their accounts to make sure they're set up properly.
User Login Instructions
- From your web browser, go to www.zoho.com/mail
- Provide your username (e.g.,email@example.com)
- Provide your password and click log in
Now you can access your account and emails. You can send emails right away, but to receive them your account must be configured for email delivery.