FAQs on Tagging Records in Zoho CRM
- What are the benefits of tagging records in Zoho CRM?
- How do tags work any differently than a multi-select picklist field?
- I am not able to add tags to records. Why?
- Are there logical operator in the search of tags so will it be possible to search for [Tradeshow leads] AND [Australia Leads]?
- Can I add tags via API?
- How can I search for records based on tags added?
- Can I push out tags from Zoho CRM to other third party applications such as Mailchimp via APIs?
- Can a lead tag be carried over to a contact tag?
- Where are all the tags for a module maintained?
- Can I use the tags created by other users? Will I be able to edit/delete tags used by others?
- Can I automatically replace tags? For example, if a customer's Contact Status is updated to Contacted, the To-be-contacted tag should be replaced with Contacted tag automatically.
- Is it possible for me to merge similar tags? If so, how?
- What happens when I delete tags associated to a bunch of records?
- Can I add tags via the CRM mobile app?
- Can I import specific tags and attach them to records?
- Can I use tags as a parameter to generate reports using Advanced CRM Analytics (Zoho Analytics)?
- Can I overwrite existing tags?
- Can I only add tags to records that I own?
- Can tags be exported?
The primary objective of tagging in Zoho CRM is to help you categorize and prioritize records so that you can fetch them easily. For example, you can tag certain records as "Big deals" or "Tradeshow leads from Australia" or "Junk leads from referrals" and so on. When you categorize them based on the type of records, or activities associated to them, or the potential profits from the deals - is entirely up to you.
Consider tags as labels for records. They simply offer you an easy way to fetch a certain bunch of records and work on them. Following are some quick points on tagging in Zoho CRM.
- You can add tags manually or assign tags on import of records or those created via APIs.
- You can also automate the assignment of tags to records via workflow rules.
- You can filter records on Global Search and via Advanced Filters based on tags.
- You can create CRM reports based on tags for a module.
The thin line that separates tags from multi-select picklist values is the purpose that both of these solves.
While tags are meant to help you cateogorize and prioritize records, multi-select picklist fields are part of the record information. For example, multiple tags for a lead can be "New lead", "Tradeshow lead" and "Australia leads". All these can be attached to a single record. Notice the range of tags - one talks about the type of lead, another about lead source while the last one denotes a territory/area.
However, a multi-select picklist field for the same lead might be something like "Products Interested In" which would be something like "A, B and C". This is part of the record information and not a label. You cannot have a range of values as seen in tags, as that is not the purpose. To solve this using fields, you might have to create three custom fields. Instead of that, you can create tags and save custom fields for a real need.
Apart from the difference in purpose, note that users need to be administrators to add multi-picklist values. It’s not possible to automate the addition, removal or replacement of options within a multi-select field. However, with Tagging, you can select a Tag from the cloud or create a new Tag and associate it to records. You will aslo have options to append/overwrite tags on mass update of records.
- Make sure permissions to add Tags is enabled under Other Permissions in your user profile.
- Your CRM organization account has exceeded the tag limits for the module, so you are not able to add a tag afresh.
- You are not part of a Zoho CRM paid edition. Note that tagging records is available for the Standard Edition and above.
Currently, Zoho CRM does not support addition of tags via APIs. Watch this space for updates.
You can search for records on Global Search as well as Advanced Filters based on the tags.
In Advanced Filters, simply select criteria as "Tag is _____" and enter the tag name. You will be able to fetch relevant records.
You can also create custom views in a module based on tags.
Are there logical operator in the search of tags so will it be possible to search for [Tradeshow leads] AND [Australia Leads]?
Currently this is not possible via search. However, you can achieve the same using custom views for a module. When you create a custom view for a module, you can add criteria using the AND logical operator and save the view.
Currently, this is not possible. Watch this space for updates.
Yes, you can carry over lead tags on conversion, to a contact, account and deal.
Tags for a module are maintained under the Manage Tags section. Go to the required module, click on the More icon in its list view and click Manage Tags.
- Yes, tags are public and you can use tags created by other users in your organization.
- You can edit/delete tags created by others if you have the Modules Customization permission in your profile.
Can I automatically replace tags? For example, if a customer's Contact Status is updated to Contacted, the To-be-contacted tag should be replaced with Contacted tag automatically.
You can overwrite tags in bulk automatically via workflow rules as well as automated actions in Blueprint. Note that ALL tags associated to the record will be replaced with the new tag and not a specific one alone.
Yes. You can merge similar tags. Simply go to the Manage Tags section of a module and Edit a tag. When you update the tag name to an existing tag, CRM will throw an alert, "Tag already exists. Do you want to merge this Tag?"
Click Yes, Merge. The two tags will be merged and reflected across associated records in the module.
When you delete a tag, it will be dissociated from all the records on which it has been applied. Please note that if a tag is associated as part of criteria in workflow rules, reports, custom views etc (wherever criteria are applicable in CRM), you will be prompted to first remove the association in the relevant sections before deleting the tag.
No, currently you cannot add tags via the CRM mobile app.
Currently you do not have an "Import Tags" option in CRM. However you can assign tags to a bunch of records upon import.
Currently, tags do not sync with Advanced CRM Analytics. This is on our roadmap. However, you can generate built-in reports in Zoho CRM (Reports module), with tags as part of the report criteria.
Yes, you can overwrite tags. This can be either using the Add Tags option from the [Module] List View or via workflow rules/Blueprint.
By default, you can add tags to records you own. You can also add tags to records to which you have the Add/Edit permission
No. Currently, you do not have an option to export tags separately. However, when you export records from a module, the corresponding tags are exported as a column in the spreadsheet.