One of the most basic functions of an email service is sending emails. Zoho Mail provides rich text format editors for sending properly formatted emails. The recipients of the email can be picked from contacts.
Zoho Mail is explicitly built for businesses therefore, helps in sending business emails and normal correspondences. However, as per the policy, Zoho Mail cannot be used to send mass emails or marketing emails to unknown senders.
Click the New Mail button in the left pane, to open the Zoho Mail composer, with Rich Text Formatting options. The composer opens in a tab. You can choose the inline editor or the new window option to reply to/forward emails from the Settings. The default settings for the Compose can be customized from the Compose Settings.
The composer includes the following:
- From: The From address can be selected from the drop-down which contains the main email address of your account, your email aliases, and the external email addresses configured. The corresponding Display name will also be displayed next to the selected email address. Refer here for instructions to configure external email address as a From Address.
- To: Specify the direct recipients of the email here. The organization email addresses will be available from the AutoFill. Click the To Label, to open the address book and choose an email address from the address book.
- Cc (Carbon Copy): Specify the recipients to whom the email should be copied. When you add an email address in Cc, other recipients will be able to view the addresses.
- Bcc: (Blind Carbon Copy): Specify the recipients to whom the email should be copied, without exposing the email addresses to others. The other recipients will not know about the email addresses in Bcc.
- Subject: Title or a Short Summary of the contents of the email
Zoho mail provides a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, which provides options to send a richly formatted email with images, tables, hyperlinks and even smileys. The formatting options allow you to personalize the layout and your email. The built-in Spell-checker help you to perform spell check in your outgoing emails, across multiple languages. You can choose the encoding for the outgoing email. It is recommended that you use UTF-8 for outgoing emails, as it is capable of encoding all characters in Unicode.
- Font Face Options
- Font Size Options
- Font Color Options
- Background Color for text (Text highlight)
- Alignment Options
- List Options
- Indentation for text and Lists
- Line Spacing
- Text Direction
- Remove formatting
- Format painter
Other than the formatting options available, you can also insert the following in your emails:
- Hyperlinks - Directs a selected portion of the text to the linked URL or email address.
- Images - Inserts images either from the disk storage or directly from the web.
- HTML - Provides options to enter content in HTML format, which will be reflected in the compose window.
- Tables - Inserts tables according to the customizations provided.
- Horizontal Separators - Inserts a horizontal line between text.
- Smiley - Inserts the selected smileys from the list of options.
Zoho Mail has an inbuilt spell checker to correct your spelling errors on the go. After composing your email, click the Check spelling icon. The misspelled words in your email content will be highlighted. Click the highlighted words to see a list of possible words with the nearest spelling. You can also add a word to your custom dictionary so that it doesn't get flagged the next time you spell check an email.
If you click the drop-down next to the Check spelling icon, you will be shown a list of languages that you can choose from. This primarily means the language against which your email content will be checked for validation during a spell check. It does not refer to the language you can compose the email in. For example, if you've chosen English (US) from the composer language listing, the email content will be checked with an American English dictionary, and relevant spelling suggestions will be provided.
The language your email is composed in depends on the keyboard you use, and not on any of Zoho Mail's settings.
A plain text email is one that contains only the content of the email, without any formatting such as Bold, Italics etc. You can choose the Plain Text option to send an email without any formatting. Click the drop-down in the right corner of the composer, and choose Plain text mode.
The system will request confirmation for converting Rich Text to Plain text. On confirming, the formatting toolbar will hide and you will see only the spell check icon. Any formatting done to the content will be lost. The message will be sent as a plain text message. When you select Plain Text for composing mail, any images inserted and all formatting done to the signatures will also be removed when sending mail.
To revert back to the Rich Text mode, click the same drop-down and choose Rich Text mode. Now you will be able to format the text that you've inserted, insert tables etc. Even if you revert to Rich Text Mode, the prior formatting will not be restored.
While composing an email you can also set certain preferences in the compose window before you send the email. You can set the priority for the email, insert a signature/template, change the encoding format and ask for read receipts from the recipient end.
You can set the email priority to High/Medium/Low. This will help the recipient classify those emails that need to be attended to immediately, and prioritize them accordingly. In the Compose window, click the Options icon on the top of the window and choose the required priority from the listing.
The icon denotes High priority and the icon denotes Low priority.
Emails with Medium priority are not indicated with any icon.
You might have some saved templates that might be necessary from time to time. You can insert such templates or one of your signatures directly from the compose window. Click the Options icon at the top of the compose window. The templates/signatures you've added to your account will be listed. Choose the required option and it will be added to the email that you're composing.
If you want a specific email to be sent with a different encoding, you can choose the required option from the Options menu. This will be applied only to the current email. The encoding format selected in the Settings will only be applied to the other emails. To know more about encoding options, click here.
When you send certain emails, you might need an acknowledgment to know whether the recipient has read the email. In such cases, you can make use of the Ask Receipt feature. In the Options menu, select Ask Receipt.
Based on the recipient's Read Receipt settings, you will be notified whether the email has been read or not.
If the recipient sends a read receipt, a new conversation gets created in the relevant email. Click the Preview whole conversation icon to view the time at which your email was read.
You can choose the default behavior for the email which requests you for a 'Read Receipt' by following the below steps.
- Log in to Zoho Mail
- Click the Settings icon.
- Go to Mail View Options.
- Locate Read Receipt.
- Select Always Send to always send a Read Receipt acknowledgment to the sender.
- Select Never Send to never send a Read Receipt acknowledgment to the sender.
- Select Ask me to ask for confirmation before sending a Read Receipt acknowledgment to the sender.
You can set more preferences for your email composer from the Compose Settings page.
In certain circumstances you might want to send an email to two or more customers, but with certain changes in the email content. In such cases, you can make use of the Edit as newoption. Open the email that you'd like to send to a new recipient with edits, click the More option icon, and select Edit as new from the listing. The same email will open in the email composer window. You can now make the essential edits and send the email.