An employee handbook is a written document that provides information and guidance related to an organization's history, values, mission, and processes. It provides detailed information on the company's policies and the roles and responsibilities of employees on the job.
A well-written employee handbook ensures company transparency and sets clear expectations for employees from the first day of their new job. It also serves as a reference tool that supports employees throughout their time in the organization.
Here are some tips on how to write an effective employee handbook:
- Include your organization's history, mission, and vision to help employees become better acquainted.
- Create a checklist of documents to include in the handbook.
- Make your handbook simple and engaging to avoid information overload.
- Include a summarizing paragraph for each policy and procedure to increase comprehension.
- Get the handbook reviewed by your legal team or a legal expert to ensure compliance.
- Add an employee acknowledgment form to reinforce the employment relationship.
- Review the document periodically to make updates and improvements.
Developing a handbook that balances your organization's goals with the needs of your employees requires a lot of time and effort. Read our article on creating employee handbooks for deeper insights into building a valuable handbook for the employees in your organization.