Let’s face it—almost everyone who’s anyone is on social media. And brands have picked up on it, too, with each of them trying hard to outdo their competition and grab eyeballs on different channels.
But social media is also extremely dynamic. With all the algorithm updates, changing content preferences, and trends that come and go, it can seem overwhelming to adapt to the market and do social media right. It’s takes a lot of focus and dedication from your social media team to stay ahead of the curve, spot these changes before they occur, and adjust your strategy so your efforts have the best chance of success.
But despite all the changes you see on social media, there’s one constant—the people using it. Success on social media is largely dependent on engaging with people, so if you develop an audience-centric strategy, where you focus more on the people using the channels than the trends emerging on them, you’ll be better placed for success.
To help you do this, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite quotes about social media, all from experts, influencers, and marketers who’ve all seen remarkable success. We hope these quotes will inspire you, and give you a new perspective into your social media marketing strategy.
1. “If your stories are all about your products and services, that’s not storytelling. It’s a brochure. Give yourself permission to make the story bigger.” – Jay Baer
2. “A large social media presence is important because it’s one of the last ways to conduct cost-effective marketing. Everything else involves buying eyeballs and ears. Social media enables a small business to earn eyeballs and ears.” – Guy Kawasaki, Chief Evangelist, Canva
3. “Social media is about the people. Not about your business. Provide for the people and the people will provide you.” – Matt Goulart
4. “It’s a dialogue, not a monologue, and some people don’t understand that. Social media is more like a telephone than a television.” – Amy Jo Martin, author of Renegades Write The Rules
5. “Trustworthy content has a balanced point of view. It asks and answers the right questions. It doesn’t love itself. It tries to inform and educate.” – Steve Farnsworth
6. “The best Facebook ads look and feel as relevant and timely in your News Feed as the posts you see from your friends.” – by Mari Smith
7. “Random social media tactics lead to random results. You need a strategy.” – Stephanie Sammons
8. “Marketing is no longer about the stuff you make, but about the stories you tell.” – Seth Godin
9. “The ultimate content strategy is listening.” – Marcus Sheridan
10. “Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart.” – Joe Chernov
11. “Marketing is about knowing your customer so well that your product sells itself.” – Peter F. Drucker
12. “The social media web is a very noisy one indeed and making sure that you are heard requires you to shout more effectively, rather than louder.” — David Amerland
13. “Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t want plastered on a billboard with your face on it.” – Erin Bury
14. “Good content always has an objective; it’s created with intent. It therefore carries triggers to action.” — Ann Handley
15. “Everyone starts out with nobody listening to them and nobody to listen to. How and who you add determines what Twitter will become for you.” — Laura Fitton
16. “Social media will help you build up the loyalty of your current customers to the point that they will willingly, and for free, tell others about you.” — Bonnie Sainsbury
17. “Content-based marketing gets repeated in social media and increases word-of-mouth mentions; it’s the best way to gather buzz about a product.” — Marsha Collier
18. “Successful companies in social media function more like entertainment companies, publishers, or party planners than as traditional advertisers.”—Erik Qualman
19. “The best marketing doesn’t feel like marketing.” — Tom Fishburne
20. “We don’t have a choice on whether we do social media, the question is how well we do it.” – Erik Qualman
What are your favorite quotes from list? Do you have any other relevant quotes to share? Let us know in the comments below, and we’ll get back to you!