(Available in Professional & Enterprise Editions)
Change Password feature in Zoho Vault allows you to automatically change passwords for your secrets in a single click, thus relieving you from the hefty task of manually resetting them from your respective accounts.
Password changes and security issues
IT security best practices demand that strong, unique passwords be used across web accounts and they be changed frequently. If you follow a predictable pattern while changing passwords, it makes your accounts far more vulnerable to attacks. On the other hand, assigning strong, unique passwords and tracking them becomes a big pain. Zoho Vault's Change Password feature comes in handy in this regard.
- Browser extension should be installed for this feature to work.
- New password will be automatically generated using the default password policy.
- To install the Zoho Vault browser extension, refer to the browser extension page.
How does the feature work?
This feature allows you to change passwords for your web accounts directly from the Zoho Vault GUI or using Zoho Vault's browser extension. When you initiate password change, Zoho Vault automatically logs into the account, resets the password, and updates the changes with the website as well as Zoho Vault. A separate pop up window displays the progress when the action is being performed. Also, every password change that is attempted/accomplished is captured as an audit trail thus providing the administrators complete visibility over the process. In case of a reset failure, the old password is retained with the website as well as Zoho Vault.
To change your password from the Zoho Vault GUI,
- Navigate to Secrets >> All Secrets page and click that particular secret for which password needs to be changed. The secret details are listed in the right pane.
- Click the ( ) icon beside the password fields.
- A new tab opens and Zoho Vault logs you in, resets your password and the changes are applied both to Zoho Vault and the website.
Changing passwords using browser extension
You can also change your passwords directly from the browser extension without logging into Zoho Vault's GUI. The changes are automatically synchronized with Zoho Vault.
- Click on the Zoho Vault browser extension, and provide your credentials. You are logged into your Zoho Vault account.
- Go to Secrets and click on the required secret for which the password has to be changed.
- Click on the change password icon ( ) beside the password fields.
- A new tab opens and Zoho Vault logs you in, resets your password and the changes are applied both to Zoho Vault's list of secrets and your respective web account.
Auditing password resets
(Applicable to super-admin/admins)
- To view the audit logs for password resets, navigate to Admin >> Audit >> Secrets Audit.
- All the attempted/accomplished password resets along with the details such as when and by whom was the action performed is displayed, thus aiding administrators to track the process.
Note: Zoho Vault's Change Password feature currently works with the following domains.
If you face any issues, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be glad to assist.