- Starting an Appraisal Process
- Employee Salary and Salary Hike
- Salary Hike Status
- Appraisal Notifications
- Extending Review Period
- Employee Review Feedback
- To begin the appraisal cycle, go to Performance>Settings> Appraisal Cycle>Add
- Give a name and enter the period for which the appraisal is applicable
- Give a description if needed
- Upload any guideline documents if necessary.
- Enter the process period.
- Enable Self-appraisal if required and enter self-appraisal period. A self-appraisal template can also be uploaded if needed.
- Enable Multi-rater feedback if required and enter the selection and feedback period for multi-rater feedback.
- Enable Add reportees as Assessors if you want to auto-populate all the reportees as Assessors for the Multi-rater feedback.
- Select if the Reporting Manager and Employee or only the Reporting Manager can select the assessors.
- Select the minimum and maximum number of assessors that can be selected for multi-rater feedback.
- Enter the review and normalization period.
- Process period is the time taken for the appraisal cycle to get completed.
- The Self-appraisal period is the period within which employees should complete their self-appraisal.
- Review Period is the time frame for the review to get completed.
- Normalization period refers to the period within which the feedback, summary etc should be collated.
- Select the modules to be included for each type of feedback that you have enabled.
- Define the target set of employees under Applicable For based on date of joining, location, role, designation or a custom date field.
Note: You can either do the performance review by the KRAs/Goals added or have Goals mapped to the KRAs and give a rating for them.
- Under Module Rating you can set the following:
- Choose Rating type – select if you want the performance ratings to be given as Stars, Numbers, Text or Custom. If Custom is selected, enter the range you want to apply under Set Range.
- Set Mandatory – define if you want the ratings, comments or both to be mandatorily provided.
- Minimum Comment Length – if you want to impose a minimum comment length, enable the box and enter the minimum number of characters that must be entered during review.
- Enable Not Applicable ( NA) option in module rating: if you want the reviewers to be able to give NA and not comment, then tick the box.
- Decimal points in score – define if you want the scores to be given with 1 or 2 decimal points. For example, if 2 is chosen, then the score would be shown as 2.24. If 1 is selected, it would be shown as 2.2.
- Final Score – define if you want the final score to be given as it is ( Actual Score) or be rounded off ( Round off score).
- Modules with no data will be considered for score calculation – Although some modules are included to be part of the review, some employees may not have some modules applied to them. For example, even if the Goals module is included as part of an appraisal cycle, an employee may not have any goals set. Check the setting to include, else uncheck it.
- Enter and customize the rating field names and score range if required. Check Lock Rating if you do not want the reviewer make manual changes to the ratings.
- Configure approvals as required.
- Under Publish Configuration select the fields that can be shared to the employee and also select the publishers of the appraisal results.
- Enable Allow Employee to share Appraisal Feedback if you want the employees to give feedback on the concluded appraisal cycle.
- Click Submit.
There are some email alerts that are already configured to notify employees when the appraisal cycle starts, to remind reviewers to complete their review etc. You can customize these mail alerts or also add new email alerts as required.
Tip : To customize the already configured email alerts, go to Settings > Automation > Workflow. Click on the respective workflow to edit it. Click here to know how to create new email alerts.
Once the appraisal cycle is started, all the configurations will be reflected accordingly.
Zoho People's performance feature can record all employees' salary information under Employee Salary.
To enter the salary information of an employee,
- Go to Performance and then Employee Salary.
- Click Add Record.
- Select the employee's name and enter their salary.
To view the salary history of an employee, click the audit icon under Salary History.
During an appraisal cycle, every organization will review and rate employees' performance and revise the salaries. Usually, a budget is allocated budget for each team and a percentage of the budget is decided for each employee. At the end of the cycle, employees will receive their salaries along with the hike.
In Zoho People, a salary increase or "hike" is a part of an appraisal cycle. Before you enable salary hike, you must first update all employee salary information under Employee Salary.
Here is the overall flow of the salary hike process:
To enable salary hikes,
- Go to Performance > Settings > Appraisal cycle and click +Add.
- Enable Salary Hike.
- Select the Hike Appraiser.
- Set a Hike Period if you want to restrict the hike process to a specific period of time.
- Select a Hike Push Date. The salary hike data will be pushed to the salary form on this date.
- Configure Hike Approvals if needed.
Salary hike process
- Once Salary Hike is enabled in the appraisal cycle, enter the overall Allocated Hike Percentage for all the employees in the appraisal cycle and click Submit.
- Initiate the appraisal cycle.
- The Hike Appraiser navigates to Teammates and then Salary Hike and enters the Proposed Hike for all their employees.
- If Hike approval is not enabled, the proposed hike is automatically approved and is used as the final hike. If hike approval is enabled, the proposed hike is sent for approval.
- The Hike Approver navigates to Teammates and then Hike Approvals and approves, rejects or makes changes to the proposed hikes.
Proposed hikes that are rejected are returned to the Hike Appraiser to re-evaluate and resubmit another proposed hike to be approved.
Pushing salary hikes to the employee salary form
Once the salary hike is fixed, the data must be pushed to the employee salary form so that the employees' salaries can be revised.
If the Salary hike push date is entered while enabling Salary hike in the appraisal cycle, then the Salary hike data is pushed automatically to the Employee Salary form on the selected Hike Push Date, once all salary hikes have been approved.
If the salary hike is not completed for some employees, that data can also be pushed manually. To push the data manually,
- Go to Appraisal Cycle list view.
- Click the Review Statusicon for the corresponding appraisal cycle.
This report shows the current status of salary hike process completion for all the hike appraisers.
To view this report, go to Performance > Reports > Salary Hike Status.
Notifications and other automated actions
Workflows, mail alerts and other automated actions can be configured for the salary hike process.
For example, if you want to create a mail alert to remind the hike appraiser to enter the proposed hike for their team, you can do this using a workflow.
To create a workflow,
- Go to Settings > Automation > Workflow
- Select the Salary Hike form
- Click + Add Workflow
- Enter a name for the workflow
- Select Create from theTrigger Processsection.
- Select Mail Alert under Actions. Click the + icon beside Mail Alert to create one.
- Enter a name for the mail alert and select Hike Appraiser you want to send it to.
- Create the email template
- Click Save
Now the workflow has been configured successfully and the email alert will be triggered once the appraisal cycle is initiated.
Exporting and Importing salary hike data
To export the Hike Status report,
- Go to Performance > Reports > Salary hike status.
- Click the ellipsis icon in the top right corner.
- Click Export.
Details of salary hikes can also be exported from the Salary Hike tab.
To import hike percentage and justification details,
- Go to Performance > Settings > Import data.
- Select Salary Hike from the drop-down.
- Select the Appraisal Cycle you want to import data to under Appraisal Name.
- Click Submit.
There are some notifications that are already configured for each step of performance evaluation. Notifications will be sent automatically as and when each step gets completed in the appraisal process.
You can customize these notifications.
- From your home page, go to Performance > Settings > Customize Forms
You will be able to see all the configured mail alerts.
- Click on the Edit icon to edit the mail alert
You can also disable the notifications under Automation > Workflow
When a manager is unable to complete the performance review within timelines, they can request for the review period to be extended. To extend the review period,
- Go to Performance > Teammates > Appraisee View.
- Click on the banner.
- Give the reason for the extension and click Send Request.
- Once the manager sends the request, an Admin can view the request under Performance > Extend Review.
- The Admin can click on the request to view the details, give comments and accept or decline the request.
Once the extended review request has been accepted by the Admin, the manager will be able to give their rating or make any changes within the extended time.
Once an appraisal has been completed and the manager has given their rating to the employee, the employee can use the Share Feedback option to give feedback on their rating.
To use Share Feedback,
- Navigate to Performance > My Review.
- Select the appraisal cycle that you want to give your feedback for.
- Click Share Feedback.
- The employees can select their feedback from the options given and also give comments.
- The manager can then view the comments given by the employee and also respond to the comments.
If the manager wants to re-evaluate the employee's rating based on feedback shared, then the manager can send a request to extend the review to the Admin ( if extend review has been enabled).
To request for the review period to be extended, click on the banner.
General Settings - Employee Review Feedback
You can customize the options for the review feedback. To customize these options,
- Go to Performance > General Settings > Employee Review Feedback.
You can also enable extend review automatically and specify the number of days the review is extended for.
For instance, you can set a rule that when an employee chooses Not Satisfied, then the review gets extended for one day.
You can also set the number of days to be given based on various scenarios by using the + icon.