- Starting an Appraisal Process
- Employee Salary and Salary Hike
- Appraisal Notifications
- Extending Review Period
- Employee Review Feedback
- To begin the appraisal cycle, go to Performance>Settings> Appraisal Cycle>Add
- Give a name and enter the period for which the appraisal is applicable
- Give a description if needed
- Upload any guideline documents if necessary.
- Enter the process period.
- Enable Self-appraisal if required and enter self-appraisal period. A self-appraisal template can also be uploaded if needed.
- Enable Multi-rater feedback if required and enter the selection and feedback period for multi-rater feedback.
- Enable Add reportees as Assessors if you want to auto-populate all the reportees as Assessors for the Multi-rater feedback.
- Select if the Reporting Manager and Employee or only the Reporting Manager can select the assessors.
- Select the minimum and maximum number of assessors that can be selected for multi-rater feedback.
- Enter the review and normalization period.
- Process period is the time taken for the appraisal cycle to get completed.
- The Self-appraisal period is the period within which employees should complete their self-appraisal.
- Review Period is the time frame for the review to get completed.
- Normalization period refers to the period within which the feedback, summary etc should be collated.
- Select the modules to be included for each type of feedback that you have enabled.
- Define the target set of employees under Applicable For based on date of joining, location, role, designation or a custom date field.
Note: You can either do the performance review by the KRAs/Goals added or have Goals mapped to the KRAs and give a rating for them.
- Under Module Rating you can set the following:
- Select if you want the performance ratings to be given as stars or numbers.
- Define if you want the ratings, comments or both to be mandatorily provided. If you want the reviewers to be able to give NA as a comment, then tick the box.
- Define if you want the scores to be given with 1 or 2 decimal points. For example, if 2 is chosen, then the score would be shown as 2.24. If 1 is selected, it would be shown as 2.2.
- Enter and customize the rating field names and score range if required.
- Configure approvals as required.
- Under Publish Configuration select the fields that can be shared to the employee and also select the publishers of the appraisal results.
- Enable Allow Employee to share Appraisal Feedback if you want the employees to give feedback on the concluded appraisal cycle.
- Click Submit.
There are some email alerts that are already configured to notify employees when the appraisal cycle starts, to remind reviewers to complete their review etc. You can customize these mail alerts or also add new email alerts as required.
Tip : To customize the already configured email alerts, go to Settings > Automation > Workflow. Click on the respective workflow to edit it. Click here to know how to create new email alerts.
Once the appraisal cycle is started, all the configurations will be reflected accordingly.
Using Zoho People's performance feature, all employees' salary information can be recorded under Employee Salary.
To enter the salary information of an employee,
- Go to Performance > Employee Salary
- Click Add Record
- Select the employee's name and enter their salary
To view the salary history of an employee, click the audit icon under Salary History.
During an appraisal cycle, every organization, in addition to reviewing and rating employees, would also typically revise the salary of the employees. Usually, an allocated budget is set among teams, and a percentage of hike is decided and approved for each employee. At the end of the cycle, employees will receive their salaries along with the hike.
In Zoho People, salary hike is a part of an appraisal cycle. Before you enable salary hike, you must first update all employee salary information under Employee Salary.
Here is the overall flow of the salary hike process:
To enable salary hike,
- Go to Performance > Settings > Appraisal cycle and click +Add
- Enable Salary Hike
- Select the Hike Appraiser
- Give a Hike Period if you want to restrict the hike process within a period
- Select a Hike Push Date. On this date, the hike data will be pushed to the salary form
- Configure Hike Approvals if needed
Salary hike process
- Once Salary Hike is enabled in the appraisal cycle, enter the overall Allocated Hike Percentage applicable for all the employees in the appraisal cycle and click Submit
- Initiate the appraisal cycle
- The Hike Appraiser navigates to Teammates > Salary Hike and enters the Proposed Hike for all their applicable employees
- If hike approval is not enabled, the proposed hike is taken as the final hike. If hike approval is enabled, the proposed hike is sent for approval
- The Hike Approver navigates to Teammates > Hike Approvals and approves, rejects or makes changes to the proposed hikes. The approved hike is taken as the final hike
Proposed hikes that are rejected return to the Hike Appraiser. The appraiser will re-evaluate and update the proposed hike. Once the approver approves all salary hikes the salary hike will be finalized.
Salary hike push to employee salary form
Once the salary hike is fixed, the data must be pushed to the employee salary form so that the employees' salaries can be revised.
If the Salary hike push date is given while enabling salary hike in the appraisal cycle, then the Salary hike data is pushed automatically to the Employee Salary form on the selected Hike Push Date, once all salary hikes are approved.
In case the salary hike is not completed for some employees, that data can also be pushed manually. To push the data manually,
- Go to Appraisal Cycle list view
- Click the review status icon near the corresponding appraisal cycle.
Salary Hike Status
This report shows the current status of salary hike process completion of all the hike appraisers.
To view this report, go to Performance > Reports > Salary Hike Status.
Notifications and other automated actions
Workflows, timely mail alerts and other automated actions can be configured for the salary hike process.
For instance, if you want to create a mail alert to remind the hike appraiser to enter the proposed hike for his team, this can be achieved using a workflow.
To create a workflow,
- Go to Settings > Automation > Workflow
- Select the Salary Hike form
- Click + Add Workflow
- Give a name for the workflow
- Under Trigger Process, select Create
- Under Actions, select Mail Alert. Click the + icon beside mail alert to create one
- Give a name for the mail alert and select Hike Appraiser to whom you want this mail to be sent
- Create the mail template
- Click Save
Now the workflow has successfully been configured and the mail alert will be triggered once the appraisal cycle is initiated.
Exporting and Importing salary hike
To export details of the hike status report,
- Go to Performance > Reports > Salary hike status
- Click the ellipsis icon on the top right corner
- Click Export
Details of salary hike can also be exported from the Salary Hike tab.
To import hike percentage and justification details,
- Go to Performance > Settings > Import data
- Select Salary hike from the drop down
- Select the Appraisal Cycle under Appraisal Name for which you want to import data for
- Click Submit
There are some notifications that are already configured for each step of performance evaluation. Notifications will be sent automatically as and when each step gets completed in the appraisal process.
You can customize these notifications.
- From your home page, go to Performance > Settings > Customize Forms
You will be able to see all the configured mail alerts.
- Click on the Edit icon to edit the mail alert
You can also disable the notifications under Automation > Workflow
When a manager is unable to complete the performance review within timelines, they can request for the review period to be extended. To extend the review period,
- Go to Performance > Teammates > Appraisee View.
- Click on the banner.
- Give the reason for the extension and click Send Request.
- Once the manager sends the request, an Admin can view the request under Performance > Extend Review.
- The Admin can click on the request to view the details, give comments and accept or decline the request.
Once the extended review request has been accepted by the Admin, the manager will be able to give their rating or make any changes within the extended time.
Once an appraisal has been completed and the manager has given their rating to the employee, the employee can use the Share Feedback option to give feedback on their rating.
To use Share Feedback,
- Navigate to Performance > My Review.
- Select the appraisal cycle that you want to give your feedback for.
- Click Share Feedback.
- The employees can select their feedback from the options given and also give comments.
- The manager can then view the comments given by the employee and also respond to the comments.
If the manager wants to re-evaluate the employee's rating based on feedback shared, then the manager can send a request to extend the review to the Admin ( if extend review has been enabled).
To request for the review period to be extended, click on the banner.
General Settings - Employee Review Feedback
You can customize the options for the review feedback. To customize these options,
- Go to Performance > General Settings > Employee Review Feedback.
You can also enable extend review automatically and specify the number of days the review is extended for.
For instance, you can set a rule that when an employee chooses Not Satisfied, then the review gets extended for one day.
You can also set the number of days to be given based on various scenarios by using the + icon.