How to create an email alias for your account
What is an email alias?
An email alias is like a nick-name or a nick email address. It is an additional email address for an email account, which can send/ receive or set forwards to. A single user account can have multiple email aliases, with different domains or even with the same domain.
Example: A user Rebecca Anderson working for Zylker corp needs multiple email addresses. So her administrator can create additional email addresses for her account.
- email@example.com - Compliance purposes - With first name and last name in the email address conforming to the overall
- firstname.lastname@example.org - For customer communication, she prefers this as people find it easier to remember.
- email@example.com - The organization has another domain and since she is a part of initiatives from the other domain also, she needs an email address with that domain also.
Email alias is a feature that enables employees to use multiple email addresses for different purposes.
What are the uses of an email alias?
Email aliases are generally considered as the best way to protect the privacy of your primary email address or the primary email account.
Temporary email address/ Disposable email address
You can use the email aliases for signing up for some temporary services and delete them after a period of time.
Ex: Suppose you are planning to attend an event related to your business and printing your email address in a business card or publishing it in a website. Spammers generally crawl through the websites to harvest email addresses from public websites and forums. So in this case, a published event website is an easy way for spammers and scammers to get the email addresses. Also the event organizers generally share the participant list with the sponsors. In case the list gets into hands of spammers/ scammers then your primary account will getting constantly spammed.
In case of temporary aliases, you can create an alias specific to the event, you can remove the alias after sometime or once you find that you have been receiving only unwanted promotions and spam to the email address.
Title/ Designation based email address
In some cases, the employees need email address based on their job title, rather than their names. In this case, the primary email address can be based on their names. You can create email aliasess like firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com etc. This will really help when a person changes position. You can simply delete the email alias from one employees account and add it to the new employee in that role.
Email address for Marketing activities
When you do a huge marketing activity like running a campaign, or publishing an ad in the dailies or putting up a nice hoarding, you can set up a specific email alias for the campaign. Just like landing pages, the email address also helps you measure the reach of the campaign and keep track of the leads and potentials generated from the particular ad campaign or the marketing activity.
How to create an email alias for a Zoho account
Organization super administrators or administrators can create email aliases for the user accounts from the Control Panel.
- Log in to your Zoho Mail account as administrator.
- Access the new Zoho Mail Control Panel.
- Navigate to the User Details section.
- Select the employee for whom you want to add an alias.
- This will display all the details of the selected user.
- Select Mail settings, to view the email related settings of the user.
- Under the Mail Settings, select the 'Email Alias' option from the left menu.
- Provide the desired alias username and select the domain from the drop down.
- Click the '+' icon to add the email alias to the account.
- The employee will now be able to send/ receive emails using the new email alias, in addition to the existing email address.
The users can create and use filters to automatically segregate emails received via different email addresses.