How to create a free email account
What is email?
Email stands for 'Electronic mail'. Similar to paper mail, it is a way to send messages from one person to another digitally, using the email accounts provided by the service provider. Every email account has a unique identity, which is the email address of the particular email account. The email address is used to send/ receive emails using the internet.
Why do I need an email account?
An email account is no longer a luxury, but a necessity. Especially, in today's digital world, the internet can be named as a basic necessity and email address, an online identity associated with every individual. Email has become the most reliable mode for formal communications. While most of the personal communications have moved to messaging apps centered around mobile devices, email is still the most preferred mode for professional communications.
Even individuals need a secure email account for the following purposes:
- Signing up for social media accounts
- Manage their e-commerce accounts
- Receive updates from various services
- Organize various subscriptions and transactions
- Register and manage job portals
- Receive updates from educational institutions
- Get physician appointments and receive medical reports
- Manage financial accounts with banks/ insurance companies
It is always recommended to keep professional email accounts separate from personal email accounts. Use a professional email account for business-related communications and a personal email account for communications for individual purposes, not related to your business.
How to create a free email account?
You can create a personal email account from many popular service providers. Zoho Mail offers both personal and business email service, which is secure and protects your privacy. At Zoho Mail, your privacy is always our foremost priority. Our service is constantly evolving to ensure our commitment to your privacy. By employing industry-standard privacy practices, we ensure the confidentiality of your data.
A Zoho email account comes with all the tools for managing communications, and categorizing information as tasks, notes, or files for future reference.
If you are looking to create a personal email account, you can directly sign up for the personal account without a domain. You will be provided an email address with your preferred username based on the availability along with a predefined Zoho domain depending on the data center chosen.
A professional email account with Zoho provides you the option to create a business email address with your custom domain. For a business email account, you will be needing a domain of your own. You can also buy a domain from Zoho Mail and set it up to host your email.
This article provides step-by-step instructions to create a personal email account in Zoho.
Step-by-step instructions to sign up and create an email account in Zoho
- Visit www.zoho.com/mail and select 'Personal email'.
- Choose a username for the email address.
- When choosing your username, ensure that you provide a valid and respectable username. This will be your email address's primary part.
Your email address will be as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org (for US Data Center users)
- Based on your determined location, the data center will be automatically chosen and your email address domain will be based on the chosen data center.
- If you are in Europe, your email account will be created by default in EU DC and your email address will be in the format email@example.com
- For India DC, the email address will be firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Australia DC, the email address will be in the format email@example.com
- You can also signup for a free email account using the federated sign-in via Google/ Facebook/ Twitter/ LinkedIn by clicking the respective icons.
- Even in this case, you need to choose the username part in the next step which is essential to creating an email account.
- Provide a password, that is simple to remember for you, but hard to guess for others. It is recommended that your password matches the following rules:
- Minimum 8 characters length
- At least one upper case alphabet & one lower case character
- At least one numerical character
- At least one special character
- Provide your first name and last name in the fields.
- Provide your phone number, which is required for verification. (10-digit number including your area code, without any dashes or spaces)
- Select your Country/ Region.
- Read and agree to the Terms of Service and click the Sign up for Free button.
- You will receive a verification code by SMS.
- Provide the verification code to confirm and proceed using the account.
Your account is now ready and you can start using your account.
Securing your account with Multi-Factor Authentication (TFA)
Multi-factor authentication provides an extra layer of security to your account. Once you enable MFA, all the future sign-ins will require to verify the identity to ensure that the account isn't accessed by hackers or miscreants, just with a password. When you enable MFA for the account, the hackers will not be able to access your account, even if they are able to guess/ find out the password.
In case you enable SMS-based OTP for MFA, an OTP will be sent to the mobile number configured by you, when you sign in with the correct password. Once you provide that OTP, you will be able to access your account.
MFA modes supported
Zoho provides four MFA modes
- SMS-based OTP
- OTP authenticator
You can set up the MFA for your account to keep your account secure. Refer here for detailed instructions to set up MFA for your account.
A unique signature for your email account
An email signature is your contact information, which is added at the end of your email, similar to a footer of the email. You can also add a favorite quote to your signature, in addition to your contact information. Zoho Mail supports saving multiple signatures to your account. Adding an email signature renders professionalism to your email and helps the recipient know details about you including your role, contact number, and more.
Mail on your mobile
You can manage your business emails on the move with Zoho Mail's mobile application. The Zoho Mail mobile app goes beyond being another email app. It includes calendar, contacts and files modules - a complete app suite. It has powerful mobile optimized features like quick swipe actions and empowers users to do more while on the move.