Email Disclaimers are organization-wide footnotes, added at the end of all the emails sent from the organization.
An email disclaimer is a paragraph or a piece of text appended to the bottom of the email, as a legal notice combined with a confidentiality notice. It is also referred to as email footer, organization signature, email boilerplate and is common for the entire organization.
The advantage of setting up a Disclaimer in Zoho Mail over each user's Signature is that the disclaimer is added to the emails, even when sent from other POP or IMAP email clients using the Zoho SMTP Servers. Zoho Mail supports Rich Text format for disclaimers. The users may miss out adding the text or have some typo errors or the format may be inconsistent.
- Log into http://www.zoho.com/mail as Administrator
- Click Control Panel >> Organization Settings
- Select the Disclaimer Tab
- Select 'Add' across the domain for which you want to add disclaimer
- You can enter and format the disclaimer text using the Rich Text formatting options
- You can set up custom disclaimers for multiple domains in your organization
Make sure that you let the users know that the disclaimer text will be added at the server level. Hence if any users have the disclaimer text added in their signatures, they need to remove the option, once you enforce Disclaimers.
A sample disclaimer is provided below for your reference.
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. You cannot use or forward any attachments in the email. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Company X, Suite# 1, Street, City, Country, www.company.com
When you add a disclaimer for the domain, it may end up in multiple disclaimers getting displayed at the end of the emails for long email chains within the organization. This cannot be avoided as the disclaimer once added will become the part of the email, and cannot be removed automatically during replies or forwards. When the same email is replied or forwarded again, another disclaimer gets added at the end, making multiple disclaimers taking up proportionally more space and size in the email. Hence make sure that your disclaimer is short and simple, and is relatively less in size. The size of the email will be calculated together with the disclaimer text which you add.
- Disclaimers are added at the domain level for the entire organization.
- The Signatures are set up at user level and generally has the details like the user's name, designation and the work location information and applies only to the web interface