If you want to trial Zoho Mail for your business, with a minimum number of accounts, without changing the MX records of the main domain, you can try domain aliasing or subdomain stripping features. Enterprises and Organizations can use Domain Aliasing or Subdomain Stripping options, for migrating the users in a phase by phase manner to Zoho Mail, without disturbing the current email setup.
Even the organizations with multiple domains can opt for domain aliasing option to easily manage all such domains with Zoho Mail.
In case you are looking for a new additional domain for your business, you can buy a domain through Zoho and have it pre-configured for Zoho Mail. Learn more.
Domain aliasing is the process of mapping a new domain as an alias to an existing domain that is already configured in Zoho. This ensures the automatic delivery of emails addressed to new aliased domain to the corresponding accounts in the existing domain.
Ex: Suppose you have set up mydomain.com, and have already configured email accounts based on the domain in Zoho to receive emails. You can add a new alias domain 'zylkernew.com' and map it to 'zylker.com', without having to set up new accounts/ aliases for zylkernew.com domain.
- Login to https://zoho.com/mail as the Super Administrator
- Ensure that you have at least one domain, already added and setup in Zoho Mail.
- Click Control Panel >> Domains >> Add Domain
- Add the new domain, which you want to add as the alias.
- Ensure that you have already registered the new domain, and have sufficient privileges to access the DNS records of the domain.
- Verify the domain using CNAME/ HTML verification methods.
- Set up email delivery for the alias domain, by changing MX records of the domain.
To add a domain as an alias domain, the email hosting status should be disabled for the domain. Only the email hosting disabled domains will be displayed in the drop down to configure domain aliases.
- Go to Control Panel >> Domains
- Disable Email Hosting for the new alias domain (zylkernew.com), by clicking the mail icon in the domains page.
- After disabling, select the Domain Alias tab.
- Select the Primary domain (existing domain - zylker.com), from the first drop down
- Select the alias domain (new alias domain - zylkernew.com), from the second drop down.
- Click Add to create a new domain aliasing.
- Once added, it will be listed in the Domain alias listing.
- The new alias domain (zylkernew.com) should be verified in Zoho, but Email Hosting should be in disabled state. Refer the image under Point 2.
- The existing domain (destination domain - zylker.com) should be enabled for Email Hosting and have domain based accounts in Zoho.
- Email delivery of new domain should be configured by the admin to ensure email delivery to Zoho Servers.
- The email delivery would be mapped as in the table below, where zylkernew.com is the alias domain and the zylker.com is the existing domain:
To Address Delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
- The account firstname.lastname@example.org will not exist in Zoho. Only the account email@example.com should be configured in Zoho.
- It is recommended to configure a catch-all for the destination (existing) domain, (zylker.com) to avoid any bounce backs that may occur due to account mismatches.
Subdomain stripping is the process of removing the subdomains from the main domain and delivering the emails to the main domain directly. Suppose, you have configured your subdomain child.mydomain.com to deliver emails to Zoho servers, any email delivered to the address firstname.lastname@example.org will be delivered to email@example.com automatically if subdomain stripping is enabled for the domain mydomain.com.
Suppose the primary domain is zylker.com and the admin wants to configure sales.zylker.com for your sales related email accounts, support.zylker.com for your support related email accounts, etc. You need not specifically create aliases based on these subdomains, but simply enable subdomain stripping for zylker.com. In that case, the emails to sales.zylker.com or support.zylker.com will automatically be delivered to the corresponding zylker.com accounts.
|To Address||Delivered to|
Any email delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org will be automatically delivered to email@example.com, after stripping the subdomain.
Steps to configure Subdomain Stripping:
- Login to https://www.zoho.com/mail as Super Admin
- Click Control Panel >> Domains
- Make sure that the primary domain is added and verified
- Click Subdomain Stripping
- The list of domains configured in your organization will be listed.
- Click ON across the domain to enable subdomain stripping for the domain.
- Ensure that any subdomain you use is configured to deliver email in Zoho.
You can ideally use the Subdomain stripping option, for trial using Zoho Mail. You need not change the MX records of your actual domain, but just need to create and update the MX records for a subdomain, say sub.yourdomain.com. By this you can complete all the other set up tasks like adding/ verifying the domain, creating user accounts etc, without pointing the MX records. You can enable email forwarding for some selective accounts, from @yourdomain.com to sub.yourdomain.com, until you decide to change the MX records of the actual domain.
- You can use your default domain in Zoho, during Email Hosting set up.
- Create the users, in Zoho Mail.
- Enable subdomain stripping in Zoho Mail.
- In your currently active email account, configure email forwarding at user level from firstname.lastname@example.org email account to email@example.com, for the trial users.
Alternatively, you can also create specialized subdomains like sales.yourdomain.com, support.yourdomain.com etc for functional requirements and publish the email addresses based on those subdomains in your websites etc. Once the email delivery for the special domains has been configured, the emails delivered to Zoho will be routed to the corresponding accounts in yourdomain.com. This will help you to easily filter out emails from different sources to the same account.