A sales order is a financial document that confirms an impending sale. It is raised when an initial estimate is approved and the transaction is underway, and details the exact quantity, price and delivery details of the products or services being sold. Perform the simple operations mentioned below to create and manage Sales Orders for your business.
- Status of Sales Order
- Enabling Sales Order
- Creating a New Sales Order
- Sales Order Workflow
- Attaching Files with Sales Order
- Other Actions
Status of Sales Order
|Draft||Sales orders when created will be in Draft status before sending to the contact|
|Open||Sales order once sent to the contact will be changed to Sent status.|
|Due||Sales order once sent to the contact with a due date for shipping, will be shown as Due.|
|Overdue||Once the due date for shipping is exceeded, it will be shown as Overdue.|
|Partially paid||When the sales order is invoiced for a part of the items in the sales order then the status will show as Partially Invoiced.|
|Invoiced||Once the sales order is converted as an invoice it will change to the Invoiced status.|
Enabling Sales Order
Navigate to the Preferences tab under the Settings page, Choose Yes from the dropdown for Would you like to enable Sales Order? option.
Creating a New Sales Order
- Click on the + icon either next to the Sales Order tab or the icon placed on top of the sales orderwindow to create a new sales order.
- You will be navigated to a new window for entering the details for the new sales order to be created.
Enter the details for the customer related fields
- Under the Customer name field, you can either pick the customers from the list you have already created or you can add a new customer
After filling up the required details, click on Save to add the new customer to the sales order being created.
In the Sales Order# tab a sales order number is generated by default. If you wish to manually enter a sales order number, click on the Settings icon next to the tab and a pop-up will appear where you can select between auto-generated estimate number or manual entry of sales order numbers.
In the Shipment Date tab, you can set the date by which the product should be shipped to the customer.
In the Delivery Method tab, you can choose the way the product needs to be delivered to the customer or you can type to add.
Price List for the sales order can be selected from the price list you have already created under the price lists menu from Items tab. Learn more about Creating Price Lists.
- In the Sales Person tab, type to add a sales person or choose an already created sales person name.
Enter the item details for the sales order.
- Items can be added from the list of items shown in the dropdown that are already created by you in your Zoho Books account. If you want to add a new item select the Add New Item option from the dropdown which will navigate to a pop-up for filling the details for a adding a new item. Learn more about Creating New Items
To add another item, click on Add another line option.
Enter the Quantity, Rate and Tax if applicable from the dropdown. Tax dropdown shows only the taxes you created in the settings tab under taxes section. Learn more about Taxes.
Enter the Discount rate, Shipping Charges and Adjustments if applicable.
You can enter the Customer Notes and Terms & Conditions for the sales order. This will be carried forward while converting the sales order into an invoice.
- You can also change the Template of the sales order, by clicking on Change and select another template.
P.S: Templates can be customized by navigating to Setting > More Settings >Templates and choosing from the sales order templates. Learn more about associating templates to specific contact.
- Now click on Save as Draft to save the new sales order in draft state, Save and Send to save the sales order as open and the sales order will also be sent to the contact.
Creating a Sales Order from Contacts
Navigate to the Contacts tab and click on a specific contact to whom you wish to create a sales order for.
Above the Contact window, you will find a New Transaction button placed.
Click on the New Transaction button and select Sales Order, a new window will appear for creating a new sales order for that specific contact.
Now you can follow the procedure to successfully create a sales order for the contact.
After creating the new sales order, you will be able to find the sales order in draft under the Sales Orders tab.
Send the sales order to your customer by clicking on the Send Mail button placed on top of the sales order window.
Sales Order Workflow
Converting an estimate into a sales order
An accepted estimate can be converted into a sales order.
Navigate to the Estimates tab and select an accepted estimate which you wish to convert to a sales order. Select the Convert to Sales Order option from the More Actions dropdown placed on top of the estimate window.
Sending a sales order to your customer
After your customer has accepted for the quote in your estimate, you can send a sales order to your customer.
You can either send the sales order to your customer at the moment you create it by clicking on Save and Send and you can also send a sales order later by clicking on the Send Mail button placed on top of the sales order window.
Converting the sales order from Draft to Open status
Once the sales order is sent to the customer it changes to Open status.
A sales order in Draft state can be converted into Open state by clicking on the Convert to Open button placed on top of the sales order window.
Converting a sales order into purchase order
When you are out of stock and not able to fulfil the order placed by your customer, you can always convert the sales order into a purchase order and send it to a vendor to purchase the items.
- Simply navigate to the sales order you wish to convert into a purchase order and select the Convert to Purchase Order option from the More Actions dropdown.
Converting a sales order into an invoice
- When your customer accepts your sales order and would like to carry your business forward you can then convert it into an invoice by clicking on the Convert to Invoice button placed on the top of the sales order window.
- A sales order in draft can also be convertd into an invoice by selecting the Convert to Invoice option inside the More Actions dropdown.
- This will change the status of the sales order to Invoiced.
Partially invoicing your sales order
If you are out of stock for a part of the items in the sales order, you can always convert it into an invoice with the available items. In this case the sales order will change its status to Partially Invoiced
For the remaining items which are out of stock you can convert your sales order into a purchase order to purchase the items from a vendor.
Attaching Files with Sales Order
You can attach any receipts, bills or attachments associated with the sales order and send it to your customer.
- To attach a file for a invoiced sales order, click on the Attach File button placed above the sales order window.
- For sales orders in draft, open, due, overdue and partially invoiced status select the Attach File option under More Actions dropdown placed above the sales order window.
- After selecting the option, a pop-up screen appears where you can select the file to be uploaded by clicking on the Select File button or just drag & drop the files to upload.
You can Edit, Clone, Print, download as PDF, Mail and Delete your sales order. You can also make your sales order Void.
Sales orders created by you can be edited by clicking on the Edit button placed above the sales order window.
You can print a sales order by clicking on the Print icon, downlaod as PDF by clicking on the PDF button and send an email by selecting the Send Mail button. All these options are provided on the top of the sales order window.
- You can also create a duplicate of the sales order with the same details by selecting the Clone option from the More Actions dropdown.
- You can make your sales order irrelevant by selecting the Void option from the More Actions dropdown. Only Sales orders in the draft, open and due status can be terminated this way.
- A sales order can be deleted by selecting the Delete option from the More Actions dropdown.