Importing Data from Files and Feeds
Often you would already have data locally stored in tabular file formats like CSV, XLS (Excel), JSON, and HTML files. The data in such formats could also be available as a URL or Web feed or even some application generated. Zoho Reports offers easy import and copy-paste options of such data for jump-starting your reporting and analysis. This section explains how to import data into Zoho Reports.
Watch the below video to get a quick overview on importing data from from files and feeds into Zoho Reports.
- What are the file formats that can be imported into Zoho Reports?
- How do I import data from a CSV file into Zoho Reports?
- How do I import data from Excel into Zoho Reports?
- How do I import data from an HTML file into Zoho Reports?
- How do I import data from JSON into Zoho Reports?
- How do I import data from XML into Zoho Reports?
- How can I import data using an OData feed?
- Can I import data into an existing table?
- Can I import huge files into Zoho Reports?
- How do I set custom date format?
- Can I map a column from my file into a column in Zoho Reports table while importing?
- Can I save my import settings?
- Why do I see Warning Details in Import Summary?
- How do I set On Import Error options?
- Can I retain the relational data modeling from my source?
- Can I schedule importing data?
- Can I import files from my cloud storage?
Zoho Reports supports importing data from the following sources.
- Comma Separated Value (CSV)
- Excel (XLS and XLSX) /SXC
- Tabular Text files
Yes, you can import data into an existing table. Follow the given steps to import data into existing table.
- Open the table into which you want to import data.
- Click Import Data > Import Data into this Table. Import wizard to import data into that table will open.
Refer to the following video to know more on this.
Zoho Reports has the following restrictions on the size of data import. You can upload a maximum of 1,000,000 rows and the file size should not exceed 100 MB.
However, you can upload huge CSV files using the Upload Tool. This is a packaged downloadable tool installable in your machine. You can use this via GUI mode or command line mode to upload the data. You can also schedule upload of data using this tool.
Refer the Upload Tool section to know more on this.
By default, Zoho Reports tries to identify the date format of the given date column from the data provided and display the same. If you find that to be incorrect or if Zoho Reports had failed to recognize any date column then you can set the date format in the Format of Date Column(s) option. Refer to this link, to know more how to construct custom date format.
Yes, you can map columns while importing. In the Data Preview of the Import Setting, a drop-down will list all the columns in the Zoho Reports table. You can choose whether this is a new column or the data need to be mapped to an existing column in the Zoho Reports table in this drop-down.
Your import setting will be saved when your data source meets the following criteria.
- You have your data in Web or FTP server
- Your data has a column header
You can choose to import the data whenever you want using the Refetch Data Now option.
Specifying a wrong data type for your column will generate errors on import. Zoho Reports will handle the errors condition as you have set in On Import Errors option.
In case of such errors, the details of the same would be shown in the Import Summary dialog.
You could specify how Zoho Reports should handle errors condition (in case it occurs) in the Import settings dialog of Import Wizard.
The following are the possible options:
- Set Empty Value for the Column (default) - Select this option to set empty value to the corresponding column value which had problems while importing.
- Skip Corresponding Rows - Select this option to skip the corresponding rows in which an error occurs while importing.
- Don't Import the data - Select this option to abort the import process, if any error occurs during importing.
In case any error occurs during import, the details of the same would be shown in the Import Summary dialog (refer to the below question) which would be shown on Import process completion.
You cannot retain the relational data modeling from your source. However, Zoho Reports allows you to auto join tables.
While importing a new table into an existing database, Zoho Reports auto identifies columns with the same column name and datatype and provides suggestions for lookup. You can create this lookup by following the steps in the below slide.
Yes, you can schedule your import. Zoho Reports supports scheduling import when you have stored your data in a web URL or FTP Server. It is mandatory that your data has a column header.
Refer the slide to know how to import data.
Yes, you can import files from cloud storage. Zoho Reports allows you to import data from CSV, Excel (XLS and XLSX), JSON, HTML and zipped files stored in different Cloud Storage/Drive such as Zoho Docs, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box and OneDrive.
Refer to the Importing Data from Cloud Storage/Drive section to know more on this.