Adding Users and Employee Profiles
Employees of your organization can be added as Users into your Zoho People account, using any of the following methods.
- Add User directly
- Add multiple Users directly
- Invite user
- Invite multiple users
- Import User
- Import Multiple Users directly
- Adding and Importing Employee Profiles
- Converting Users into Employee profiles
- Converting Employee profiles into Users
- Adding Users by mobile number verification
If you run into errors when trying to add users in Zoho People, use the following link to read about troubleshooting:
If you have an existing database or employee repository, you can sync users from the following services with your Zoho People account.
To Sync Users, simply navigate to Settings > Organization > Users > Sync
Select from the following options
When you invite users to your organization, you send an invitation to their email id with a temporary password. Once they accept the invitation, they will become part of the organization. They can change the password during the consecutive logins.
Add users directly is a method to add users directly to your organization. You can give the users' user name and password, and add them to the org domain. They can change their password later. Given below are the steps for both these methods.
- From your home page, go to Settings > Organizations > Users
- Click on Add User Directly if you would like to add a single user, or click Add Multiple Users Directly if you are adding more than one user in this instance.
- Enter the email address, select a verified domain from the drop-down provided.
- Note that by default auto-generated passwords will be used, if you wish to manually enter the password, use the Click here to set password manually option.
- Click Next
An account will be set up for the user you added, an email will then be sent to you (Administrator) the email includes the email id and the password for that particular user.
Note: A verified domain is required to add and invite users to your Zoho people account.
The process is similar when adding multiple users directly. Go to Settings > Organization > Users, click on the down-facing arrow next to Add User Directly button and select Add Multiple User Directly option. Simply use the + icon to add multiple email id's to invite multiple users. Note that the email you (Administrator) receive will contain a table consisting of the various email id's and their respective passwords.
If the users you are adding are candidates who would be joining your organization, use the Trigger Onborading checkbox, This option will send an invitation link to the candidates, the candidates can use the email id and password they receive via email to login into their newly created Zoho People accounts. The included auto-generated passwords can be changed by the candidates when they login.
- From your home page, go to Settings (Gear icon) > Employee > Add > Invite user
- Fill in the mandatory fields, and click invite
The user gets email invitation sent to the email id mentioned. This email will expire in 7 days and if the user does not accept the invitation within this time, then a re-invite is sent to the user.
To resend the invitation, click the envelope icon beside the invited user.
Once the invitation is accepted, the user becomes part of the organization.
- From your home page, go to Settings (Gear Icon) > Employee > Add > Invite Users
- Fill in the mandatory fields, and click invite
Users get email invitation sent to the email id mentioned. Once the invitation is accepted, the users become part of the organization.
The Import user option lets you import users from your existing files without the need to add users manually.
- From your home page, go to Settings (Gear icon) > Employee > Users > Import User
- Click upload file with First name, Last Name, email id etc and click Next
- Map the fields, confirm the mapping and handle the duplicates if any
- Click Next
The users will receive an invite to their email id (which you have given in the file during upload). Once they accept the invitation, they will be part of the organization. They can change the password in the consecutive log ins.
If you have a verified domain, you can Add users directly. However, if there are too many users to be added, you can opt for the import users directly option.You can import multiple users directly only if you have a verified domain. Follow the steps given below:
- From your home page, go to Employee > Users > Import
- Select 'Import Users Directly'
- Under Applicable domain, select the domain as per your need
- Click Upload file which has details like User name, Password, First Name, Last Name etc
- Click Next
Once the file is uploaded, all the users will be part of the organization. In this method, there is no need to send invitations. As an administrator, you will be creating user name and temporary password for your users. This can be communicated to the users when they login for the first time in their account. The temporary password can be changed by the user in consecutive logins.
Apart from active users, you may have staff who are on a contract or temporary basis. Using Zoho People, you can maintain their details on the system without providing any access to them. Follow the steps given below to add users as Employee Profiles or Non-users.
- From your home page, go to Settings (gear icon) > Organization > Employee Profiles.
- Click Add Employee Profile, enter the mandatory details and click Add.
The user gets to the system but does not have any access to it. If you would like to add a bulk of non-users, you can do it by Importing employee profiles.
- From your home page, go to Settings (gear icon) > Organization > Employee Profiles
- Click Import Employee Profiles
- Upload the file
- Map fields, handle duplicates and click Next.
The employee profiles are now imported into the system.
- Go to Settings.
- Under Organization, select Users.
- Select the user profiles you want to convert.
- Click on Convert to Employee Profiles button at the top.
- Go to Settings.
- Under Organization, select Employee profiles.
- Select the employee profiles you want to convert. (bulk conversion is possible too)
- Click on Convert to Users drop-down at the top.
- Select Invite Users or Convert Directly.
Note: Employee profiles can be directly converted into user profiles only if they have an email address within a verified domain. If not, they will be updated to user profiles once they accept the invitation.
In addition to adding users by email id verification, Users can also be added by verifying mobile number.
Note: This feature is not open to all by default, but can be activated on demand. Please contact email@example.com to enable this feature.
Once this feature is enabled the following prerequisites must be met to add users using mobile number verification:
- A verified domain for your Zoho People account.
- User must have Admin privileges.
Adding a single user
1. Navigate to Settings > Users > Add
2. Fill in the details, fields with a red asterisk are mandatory
3. Enter the mobile number of the user you are trying to add
Dial code is required. Example 91-900320XXXX
(91 is the dial code for India)
4. Click Invite
The user will receive a link in their mobile phone via text message, Account verification will be done once the user opens the link and sets up his/her password.
Note : If the user already has an existing Zoho account, then they will be prompted to login directly using existing credentials.
Adding multiple users using the import feature
1. Navigate to Settings > Users > Import > Import Users
2. Now in the file you are importing (xls, xlsx and csv formats supported), Leave Email ID column data blank. However, mobile Number column must be filled. The format is dialcode-mobilenumber.
Note : Add user directly, Add Multiple User Directly, Invite Multiple Users options cannot be used while adding users via mobile number verification.
Here are some points to note when mobile-only users added:
- Users added through mobile number verification only cannot be defined as Admins.
- Once the invitation is accepted and the user is added, The Mobile number of the active user cannot be changed.
- They are not authorized to import or export users.
- Password protected mail functionality cannot be used as an email-id is required.
Note : Email ID can be updated for users added through mobile number verification. However, an Email ID with verified domain is required. Once Email ID is added, complete functionality is restored without any restrictions.
The 5 most common issues when trying to add users in Zoho People and what you can do to avoid:
- Adding user failed because a user with the same email address already exists in the organization.
This issue occurs when the email id of the user you are trying to add is an exact match to an existing active user's email address. No two email addresses of active users can be the same and therefore ensure that unique email addresses are used.
- Adding user failed because an Invited user with the same email address already exists in the organization.
This issue occurs when one of the invited users has a matching email address of the user you are trying to add. All active user email addresses must be unique.
- Adding user failed because a user with the same email-address is in one of our data servers.
This error is reported when a user with the same email address exists in any of our data servers. All active user email address is required to be unique across all data servers.
- Adding user failed because a user is yet to complete account verification from their end.
This error is reported when verification is pending from the user's side. When a user is invited from Zoho People, the user is expected to respond and login to verify their account (invitation link would be valid for 7 days)
- All other errors
For all other technical errors when adding users, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Avoid adding users with "+" symbol in email address. Example email@example.com. The added users will not be able to accept the invitation to join the organization.
Apart from adding and importing User(s), you can sync users from other services if you are a user of anyone of the following services.
- Zoho Mail
- GApps or Gsuite
You can add bulk users from Zoho Mail into Zoho People in a single click
- From home, go to Settings (Gear icon) > Employee > Users > Sync
- To sync users from Zoho mail, click Import from Zoho Mail
- Search user using the Search box
- Select the users that you would like to sync and click Submit
The same steps can be followed if you would like to sync users from Google Apps or from Office365.