Table of Contents
When you read an email, you may need to get the headers of the email for some troubleshooting, Print the email or save the email content for some reference. In some cases, if the email was not coded, it may appear distorted, without the correct unicode format. Hence the Email Options, help you in such small actions for the email.
Email Message Headers are present in all the emails you send and receive via internet. They have uniquely identifiable message ids, the sender, recipients and the subject information and also present various diagnostic information which is useful for Spam identification, message hops, delays and so on.
Steps to get the headers of an email in Zoho Mail:
- Log in to www.zoho.com/mail
- Locate and Open the email in Zoho Mail, for which you want to get the headers.
- Click the 'More Options' drop down in the right corner of the email.
- Select the option 'Show Headers' from the dropdown menu.
- The header details will open in a new window.
- Click 'Show full message' to view the entire source of the email including the html source of the formatted email.
- You can copy the entire stuff and place them in a text file, to send it to others.
Generally, if you are having issues in email sending or receiving, you will need to send the headers of the email. In case you have trouble the way the email is displayed, then you need to send across the entire source of the email. The step by step instructions to get the email headers from various email clients are available in this third party help link.
You can Print an email from the 'Print' option under 'More Options' when reading emails. Select 'Print' from the drop down menu when reading the email. The printable format of the email will open in a new window. Click Print again to print the email.
You can save the email content for future reference in HTML format. Select the 'Print' option from the 'More Options' drop down when reading the email.
This saves only the content of the email in the HTML format. If you want the sender/ subject details, use the export option from the Settings.
When you receive an email, the email content has the 'encoding' details using which the email will be decoded and displayed in Zoho Mail in readable format. UTF-8 encoding is adapted as universal encoding, and can be used to display multiple languages across browsers, and without any issues in the readability of emails.
In some cases, the email content may have certain character codes, that are not supported in the 'encoding' details provided in the email. Hence such content may appear Garbled when viewing the message. This often occurs when you have a chain of emails in the same thread, with different character encoding values.
You can use the 'View Garbled Message' Option, to open the particular email in a new window, and choose a suitable encoding from the browser.
- Open the email which appears as Garbled.
- Select 'Garbled Message?' from the More Options drop down.
- The message will open in a new browser window.
- Select ‘Encoding’ from the ‘View’ menu.
- From the list, select an encoding appropriate for the language in which you think that this message is written.
- The message would display properly on selecting the correct encoding.
- If you still have issues in the display of the email, contact support with email headers.
Different browsers have different menu name or items for encoding. Internet Explorer displays the item as 'Character Encoding', Safari displays it as 'Text Encoding' etc. Select the appropriate item as per the browser you use.