Auto-populating Tax return for monthly inward supplies
What is the GSTR-2A?
The GSTR-2A is a purchase-related tax return that is automatically generated for each business by the GSTN portal. It’s based on the information contained in the GSTR-1, GSTR-5, GSTR-6, GSTR-7 and GSTR-8 of your suppliers. You can verify and amend this return before you file it in the GSTN portal as your GSTR-2.
Contents of the GSTR-2A
After capturing the year and month, the GSTR-2A asks for the following details:
1.GSTIN: your unique PAN-based 15-digit Goods and Services Taxpayer Identification Number (GSTIN).
2.Name of the Taxpayer:
- Legal name of the registered person.
- Trade name, if any.
- 3.Inward Supplies from Registered Taxable Person other than the supplies attracting reverse charge: Invoice-wise details of all purchases and supplies received from other registered taxpayers, excluding those that may attract tax liability under a reverse charge basis.
- 4.Inward supplies on which tax is to be paid on reverse charge: All purchases and supplies received (from both taxable and non-taxable persons) for which the buyer has to pay taxes under reverse charge.
- 5.Debit / Credit notes (including amendments thereof) received during the current tax period: Captures the details of debit notes and credit notes issued by your vendors for this month along with any changes made to them by comparing the revised documents with the original documents.
- 6.ISD credit received (including amendments thereof): If your firm is an input service distributor, then the data under this section will be auto-populated whenever your head office files the GSTR-6 return for a particular month.
- 7.TDS and TCS Credit received (including amendments thereof): If you engage in TDS (tax deducted at source) transactions, or sell online through an e-commerce operator, this section will be auto-populated from the transacting party’s GSTR-7 or e-commerce operator’s GSTR-8.
As an auto-generated document, it cannot be filed directly into the GSTN without the taxpayer’s intervention, so it does not have a declaration at the end of the document.