- The deadline for submitting Form GSTR-8 through ecommerce operators for the months of October, November, and December 2018, has been extended to the 31st of March 2019.
GSTR-8 - Monthly GST return for E-Commerce Operators
- What is the GSTR-8?
- Dates associated with the GSTR-8.
- Prerequisites of the GSTR-8.
- Contents of the GSTR-8.
What is the GSTR-8?
The Goods and Services Tax Return 8 is a document/statement that must be filed e-commerce operators (those who build and operate online marketplaces that allow other vendors to sell their wares to customers) every month. It must contain the details of supplies made to customers through the taxpayer’s e-commerce portal by both registered taxable persons and unregistered persons, customers’ basic information (whether or not they are registered taxpayers), the amount of tax collected at source, tax payable, and tax paid.
Dates associated with the GSTR-8
- The GSTR-8 for a particular month can be filed upon the completion of that month.
- The last day for filing this return is before the 10th of the following month. (E.g.: If you are filing the GSTR-8 for March 2018 then, you have to file it before the 10th of April 2018.)
- In order to file the GSTR-8
- You must be a registered tax payer under the GST with a 15 digit PAN based GSTIN.
- The aggregate turnover of your business should be greater than 20 lakh rupees (10 lakhs in NE India).
- You must be an e-commerce operator with an online marketplace where other traders/companies sell goods to customers.
- This return applies to all registered tax payers under the GST who have neither opted for the composition scheme nor have a Unique Identification Number (UIN). This return is also not applicable to non-resident tax payers.
- You are required to keep track of the details of all the tax collected at source by you for the transactions that are carried out through your marketplace.
Contents of the GSTR-8
Let’s take a look at all the different fields inside the GSTR-8:
- GSTIN – Here you have to specify your unique PAN-based 15-digit Goods and Services Taxpayer Identification Number (GSTIN).
- Name of the Taxpayer – This field should contain the name of the registered tax payer for your business.
- Tax Period, Month, Year – This field will help you specify the period of return for which GSTR-8 is being filed. (e.g.: Monthly return for July, 2017)
- Details of the supplies to Registered Taxable Person made through the e-commerce operator –
- Under this section, the merchants who use your e-commerce platform to sell their goods and/or services to registered taxpayers (B2B transactions) are required to furnish the details of all such sales using your portal (like the GSTIN of the merchant, the merchant ID that was issued by you along with the gross value of supplies etc).
- You can amend/modify the details of such B2B transactions through your e-commerce platform during the previous months using the Section 4A of the GSTR-8.
- Details of the Supplies to Unregistered Persons –
- Under this section, you would have to report the details of all the B2C transactions that happen through your e-commerce platform (those between merchants and end customers who are not registered under GST).
- Using the Section 5A of GSTR-8, you can modify/update the details of B2C transactions that were carried out during previous months .
- Tax Collected at Source (TCS) Details – Here, you as the e-commerce operator is required to furnish the details of all the tax that you have collected at source (TCS) along with the details of merchants involved. This data is cross verified against the data submitted by those merchants.
- Liability Payable and Paid – Upon recording all of the above information, the system will calculate the tax you owe under this return to the government and that data will be displayed here. This section will also include the tax you have paid, late fees, penalities, etc.
As always, you need to digitally sign the declaration of correctness and trueness at the end of the return. This can be done by either using a DSC or an Aadhar based verification system.