Configure multiple levels of approval, add users from your organization as approvers to review submissions, and set up emails to notify everyone.
Table of Contents
To set up an approval process:
- After building your form, click on the Approvals tab.
- Under Levels, click the Configure button.
- In the Create Level pop-up, enter the Level Name.
- Add Approvers for the level by entering their email addresses.
- Under Mark level as complete when approved by,
- Select All if you want the approval level to be marked as completed, only when all the approvers approve/deny a record.
- Select Any if you want the approval level to be marked as completed when any of the approvers approve/deny a record.
- Click Next.
- Under Field Permissions, choose the form fields to be included in the approval process. You can re-arrange its order too. If you want the approvers to have the option of editing a field, click the drop-down menu under Permission and select Write (All these changes are applicable to the current level you're setting up.)
Note: The Approval Admin will be able to view all the fields, regardless of the selections made under Field Permissions. If a field is assigned with Write permission, then the Approval Admin will be able to edit its entries.
- Click Next to go to the Notifications section (This setting is optional). You will find the following types of notification settings here, each of which can be configured as per your requirements:
- Notify your users when they are added as approvers
- Notify approvers in this level when a new record is submitted for approval
- Notify respondents/approvers when this level is marked as complete
- After you're done configuring the notifications, click Save.
- To add additional levels of approval to the approval process, click the + Level button, and repeat the above steps.
Note: The entire approval process can be enabled or disabled using the toggle button on the top-left of the Approvals page (as seen in the above image).
You can set up notifications to notify your users and respondents during the course of the approval process.
Notify users when they are added as approvers
When users are added as approvers in a level, you can choose to notify them by sending them an email with a link of the form for which they've been added as approvers.
Notify approvers when a new record is submitted for approval
When a record is submitted for approval in a level, you can notify the approvers in that level by sending them an email with a link of the record that they have to approve.
Notify respondents when their record is approved in a level
When a record is approved in a level and passed on to the next level, you can choose to update the status to your respondents by sending them an email.
You can change the button labels and choose when to process integrations under Approvals >> ApprovalSettings >> GeneralSettings.
When you choose to process integrations only on successful approval, records from Zoho Forms will be pushed to other integrated services only after successful approval. Denied records will not be pushed.
If the Final Approval Status of the form is Approved, this is the email that will be sent to the specified email addresses.
To set this up:
- Click the Final Approval Email dropdown under Approval Settings.
- Specify the From and To email addresses, subject, and body of the email. You can choose the responses to fields in the form by selecting the required field from the Choose Field dropdowns.
- Click Save.
If the Final Approval Status of the form is Denied, this is the email that will be sent to the specified email addresses.
To set this up:
- Go to Approval Settings and click the Final Denial Email drop-down.
- Specify the From and To email addresses, subject, and body of the email. You can choose the responses to fields in the form by selecting the required field from the Choose Field drop-downs.
- Click Save.
Note: The Final Approval Status is the status of the form after crossing all the levels of approval in the Approval Process.
The approval admin can approve or deny submissions on behalf of other approvers, skip approval levels, and monitor the entire approval process. If a field carries Write permission, the Approval Admin will be able to edit its entries. By default, the Form Admin is the Approval Admin. The email address next to Currently assigned to represents the current admin (as seen in the image below.)
To change the Approval Admin of a form,
- Go to Approvals >> Approval Settings >> Approval Admin.
- Enter the preferred admin's email address in the Reassign to text box.
- You can customize the email notification message, which will be sent to the new Approval Admin.
- Now, click Assign.
Once a user is added as an approver for a particular level, each time a form is submitted for review, they will be notified via in-app notification or by email, if it has been configured while setting up the approval system.
When a submission is received for approval, the approver has the option to approve or deny it. They may also include a reason for their decision. This reason will be visible to other approvers in the approval system.
An approver can also add and delete comments after they review a level.
The approval admin can approve or deny submissions on behalf of other approvers, skip levels, and monitor the entire approval process.
When you add Office 365 users as approvers, you can create a separate email template to notify them when they receive a new form submission for review. When notified, they can view the form submission and can approve or deny the record directly from their outlook email.
To set this up,
- In the Approvals EmailNotification setup, click near the Message section to create the template.
- Personalize the email header and footer messages of the template.
- Choose the form fields to be displayed and enter a DisplayName for each field.
- Click Preview to see how the email renders in real time.
- Click Done to save this template.
If you delete this template, Office 365 Users will receive the email that is configured for the organization users.
Note: When both the Office 365 users and your organization users are added as approvers for the same level, only the Office 365 Users will be notified with this email template.