If you are a medium sized business or an enterprise, your organization would have invested on an intranet solution for document management. All documents are uploaded and accessed from this central repository. For viewing/editing documents, your users would be using desktop-based software like Microsoft Office installed in their PCs / laptops. Currently, your workflow for accessing a document would be like below :
- User downloads the document from the document repository to his/her local hard drive
- Uses a desktop-based software to read and (if need be) make changes to the document
- Uploads it back to the document repository
How can the above flow be improved using Zoho?
By using Zoho’s Remote API. This is how it works :
- Clicking on a document will open it in the Zoho editor. Based on the file type (doc, xls, ppt etc), Zoho Writer, Zoho Sheet or Zoho Show editor will open the document.
- Once the document is viewed/edited and saved, the saved copy will be transferred to the enterprise document repository.
As you can see, this model is a more straight-forward and an easier one. No need to download a document copy, view/edit using a desktop-based software, then upload back to the repository. There is no duplicate copy of the document created locally in the user’s machine. And most importantly, no need to install costly desktop software in each of your user’s machines. Using Zoho’s Remote API is secure. And you don’t need to have a Zoho account for each of your users.
For illustration, screenshots taken from box.net
Related Article : An enterprise balancing act in the cloud, by Oliver Marks @ ZDNet.