ZeptoMail is a transactional email service. Depending on your type of business, some transactional emails are more common and frequently used than others. For example, OTP emails, password reset emails etc. You can create and use the transactional email templates in ZeptoMail to avoid writing the same email repeatedly. It can also be used to standardize the emails you send to your users.
- Login to ZeptoMail.
- Navigate to the Mail Agent where you would like to create the template.
- Click on the Templates tab.
- Click Add new template in the right corner to start creating a new template.
- Add New template pop-up appears.
- You can choose one of the sample templates available or use the blank template to create the template from scratch.
- Enter the Template Name and Subject.
- You can edit the sample template or create your new template using the Text editor or the HTML editor. While creating a new template or even while editing them, you can add or edit the appropriate placeholders to include your product name, customer's name, etc.,using the merge tag icon from the toolbar. Mentioned below are example merge tags for a welcome email given within the parentheses.
- These merge tags help you customise your emails according to your needs. They can be included in the request body of your API under the "merge_info" parameter.
- To add a merge tag, simply place the cursor at the desired location within your template and click the merge tag icon. The tag will be inserted.
- You can also attach files to the template by clicking on the Attach icon in the editor tools.
- The template has now been added to your Mail Agent in ZeptoMail. All the templates you create will be listed in the Templates tab along with the Subject, Template key, Last modified date, and size of the template.
- You can search the desired template from the list by selecting the search criteria drop-down menu.
- Choose the criteria based on which you wish to search the template, i.e., whether based on 'Template name' or 'Template key'.
- Fill in the corresponding value. Press enter to view the desired Template.
Select an email template to view it's sections. They are :
- Template info
- Edit template
- Merge Info
- Single email setup
- Batch email setup
You will find all the information related to the contents of the selected email template. This has two sections, the left side gives you details of the subject, date of creation, date of modification and it's size. The right side gives you the preview of the template. You can check the web and mobile views of the email and alter it accordingly. Further, you can also view the contents according to the screen modes - dark or light.
If you wish to edit the template, you can choose to do so by selecting the Edit icon at the top. Once selected, you will be taken to the Edit template section where you can edit the contents.
You can edit your template's contents in this section. To edit your content :
- Click on the Editor drop-down.
- You will find two options - Editor : that allows you to edit the plain text content and HTML : which allows you to edit the HTML code of the template.
- Choose the appropriate one and start editing.
- Depending on the type you choose, you will find the corresponding formatting and editing options.
Template alias key :
You can add an alias name to the template keys you use in the edit section of your templates. This helps you identify and fetch them better in the future. The alias name can be used in the place of the template key within the request body of your API.
Navigate to the edit template section. Enter the appropriate alias name.
Once you make the necessary changes, click Save.
The merge info section allows you to add merge tags that help you customize your emails based on your needs. You can enter the values that need to be fetched for the merge tag you have added in the left console. Once you enter the merge tags and their values, click Change values.
Apart from simple variable substitution, you can use merge tags to include more information within your email body. Refer our guide on adding dynamic data in your templates.
You can send test emails to check how a particular email content in a template looks like to your recipients. To do so :
- Navigate to the template you like to check.
- Go to the Merge info tab and click Send test email.
- Add the recipient details in the dialog box and click send.
Credits will be consumed for sending out test emails.
This API is used to send the same email content to multiple recipients. For example, the email that is sent when a user registers for your webinar. Though the email is sent to multiple recipients, it will contain the same webinar link. In the case of Single Email API, each recipient can see the other recipients in the email. View the detailed instructions for the API here.
This API is used to send batch emails using templates. Though the email is sent to multiple recipients, each email will contain information specific to the recipient. Also in contrast to Single Email API, recipients will not be able to view the other recipients of the email. For example, emails that contain contact information or company details of each user. View the detailed instructions for the API here.
You can view the reports of the emails you have sent using a particular template using the View Report button.
Hover on the template you wish to delete and click on the Delete icon on the right side. A confirm pop-up will appear. Click OK.
Before you get started it is important to know that ZeptoMail is for sending transactional emails like welcome emailers, password resets emails, OTPs. We do not support sending of bulk emails or promotional emails like newsletters or marketing campaign emails. If you are looking for a bulk email provider, check out Zoho Campaigns.