A customer has requested a refund for receiving an expired product. How do I handle this in Zoho Inventory?
Assumption: The shipment has been delivered and the invoice has been paid.
Step 1: Create a sales return
- Navigate to the sales order.
- Open the sales order.
- Click on Create > Sales Return.
- Enable the option ‘This sales return contains credit-only goods’.
- If any item was damaged/expired, enter the damaged quantity in the Credit-Only field for that item. This quantity won’t be taken into stock.
Insight: In this case, you have to record a sales return even though there is no return initiated for the product. Since you have specified the quantity returned under ‘Credit-Only’, it will not be taken back into stock. Hence, it’s the same as the customer not returning it. This step is essential to create a credit note for the item.
- Click Save.
Step 2: Create a credit note
- Open the sales return.
- Click on More > Create Credit Note.
- Save the credit note.
Step 3: Record a refund
To record a refund:
- Open the above credit note.
- Click on More > Refund.
- Enter the refund amount and select the expense account.
- Click Save to record the refund.
The return process is complete.