This is a combination of knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal attributes that contribute to enhanced employee performance. For example, for a Product Manager, the Competencies can be business strategy and decision making. For a Technical writer, the competencies can be written skills, awareness of the user's experience, and awareness of the market.
You can tag competencies to Departments or Designations or Roles. Once tagged, you can utilize it as one of the modules for evaluation of performance. Weightage can be given for Competencies, rating can be done and they can be included as part of an appraisal cycle.
As the first step, you need to enable the module
- From your home page, go to Performance > Settings > Performance Modules
- Enable Competency
To add competencies:
- From your home page, go to Performance > Settings > Competency
- Click Add Competency
- Give a title and description
- Click Submit
To Tag Competency:
- From the drop-down, select whether the Competency should be tagged based on Department, Designation or Role
- Click Tag Competency
- Select the designation
- Under the Competency List, click on the Competency and enter the weightage
- Click Submit
To include Competency as part of the Appraisal Cycle:
- Go to Performance > Settings > Appraisal Cycle > Add
- Enter the required details like Name, Appraisal Cycle period etc
- Under 'Module(s) to be included', select Competency
- Enable to 'Set Module Weightage' option if required
- Give the required weightage for Competency
For example, if you have included Goal and Competency as modules to be included, then you can define the weightage that should be given for KRA and for Competency. This option is helpful to define the module's importance by giving different weightages. For Example, In some organizations goals have more weightage than competencies. By making use of this option, it can be made clear as to which module should be given more importance.
Tip : Click here to know in detail the steps for creating an appraisal cycle.
When an appraisal cycle is initiated, the rating will be given (by Self/Multi-Rater/Reviewer as configured in the cycle) for the modules selected as per the weightage that is set.
Consider this scenario for a better understanding of how competencies work. Assume that you have defined the following KRAs and Competencies for a designation - Product Manager
KRA - Product Management
Competencies - Business Strategy, Decision Making, Change Management
KRA weightage 60%
Competency Weightage -40%
Assume that there are 5 such KRAs and 4 such competencies added. Then the average rating will be - (Average of the sum of KRAs rating(s))x 60% + (Average of the sum of competencies Ratings)x 40%. This average rating can be used by the reviewer to give the final review for the employee.