This is a combination of knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal attributes that contribute to enhanced employee performance. For example, for a Product Manager, the Competencies can be business strategy and decision making. For a Technical writer, the competencies can be written skills, awareness of the user's experience, and awareness of the market.
You can tag competencies to Departments or Designations or Roles. Once tagged, you can utilize it as one of the modules for evaluation of performance. Weightage can be given for Competencies, rating can be done and they can be included as part of an appraisal cycle.
- Enabling Competencies
- Adding Competencies
- Tagging Competencies
- Including Competency as part of the Appraisal Cycle
As the first step, you need to enable the module
- From your home page, go to Performance > Settings > Performance Modules
- Enable Competency
- From your home page, go to Performance > Settings > Competency
- Click Add Competency
- Give a title and description
- Click Submit
- From the drop-down, select whether the Competency should be tagged based on Department, Designation or Role
- Click Tag Competency
- Select the designation
- Under the Competency List, click on the Competency and enter the weightage. Ensure that the total weightage of the selected competencies does not exceed 100%.
- Click Submit
To tag competencies to a specific employee,
- Go to Performance > Teammates > Peers View.
- Select the employee from the list.
- Go to the Competency tab.
- Click Tag Competency.
- Select the competency and enter the weightage in the popup.
- Click Submit.
- Go to Performance > Settings > Appraisal Cycle > Add.
- Enter the required details like Name, Appraisal Cycle period etc.
- Under Module(s) to be included, select Competency.
- Enable Set Module Weightage if required.
- Give the required weightage for the competency.
For example, if you have included Goal and Competency as modules to be included, then you can define the weightage that should be given for KRA and for Competency. This option is helpful to define the module's importance by giving different weightages. For Example, In some organizations goals have more weightage than competencies. By making use of this option, it can be made clear as to which module should be given more importance.
Tip : Click here to know in detail the steps for creating an appraisal cycle.
When an appraisal cycle is initiated, the rating will be given (by Self/Multi-Rater/Reviewer as configured in the cycle) for the modules selected as per the weightage that is set.
Consider this scenario for a better understanding of how competencies work. Assume that you have defined the following KRAs and Competencies for a designation - Product Manager
KRA - Product Management
Competencies - Business Strategy, Decision Making, Change Management
KRA weightage 60%
Competency Weightage -40%
Assume that there are 5 such KRAs and 4 such competencies added. Then the average rating will be - (Average of the sum of KRAs rating(s))x 60% + (Average of the sum of competencies Ratings)x 40%. This average rating can be used by the reviewer to give the final review for the employee.