Tasks can be defined as an activity which needs to be accomplished within a period of time. Creating Tasks and assigning them to respective owners helps have a track of the job done by individuals and also helps to maintain a record of activities to be completed.
Tasks can be of three types.
1. Individual Tasks - which can be added by the admin or by Reporting Manager for his/her subordinates or by the user for self. There are already permissions set by default, for tasks to be added to Subordinates and for self. The administrator can add tasks to anyone. However, the other permissions can be changed in the Task Form. For eg. In the Task Form, if you give 'Add' permission for a role (Team Member)to All data, then it means that the users/employees under the Team Member role can add a task to anyone in any form.
2. Tasks added directly from the respective Forms - These tasks are added in the form itself for a record.
3. Workflow driven Tasks - These tasks are associated with a checklist which is in turn mapped to a workflow. A workflow is configured and as a result of an action, a checklist is triggered with the tasks that you create. Click here to know more about this.
Follow the steps given below to create individual tasks.
- From your home page, go to Checklists & Tasks > Add Task
- Under Task Owner, select the user from the drop down
The Task Owner is a primary lookup field from the Employee Form because the primary lookup decides the record owner - in this case, the Task Owner.
- Give a Task Name
- Give a description, Start date and due date if needed
- Under 'Reminder', give a date and time for the reminder
- Under Priority, set a priority if needed
- Under Status, select Open or Completed based on the need
If you are adding an already completed task in order to maintain a track of it, then the status will be 'Completed' at the time of addition of the task.
- Click Submit
Once a task is added, it will get displayed under 'My Tasks' for the task owner and an email notification will be automatically sent notifying the user of the task added to him/her.
These tasks are added directly from the forms. For eg. If a Task should be added in the Asset form for an employee/user, then it can be done by following the steps given below.
- From your home page, go to Compensation > Assets
- Click on the ellipsis icon of the record for which you would like to add a task
- Select 'Add Task'
- Select Task Owner
- Give a description if needed
- Enter Start date and Due date
- Set a date and time for reminder and set a priority if needed
- Select a Status and click Submit
Now a task is triggered for the particular record in the selected form (Asset Form) and the Task Owner will be notified.
The tasks for which you are the owner will get listed in your list view. The administrator can by default change the task owner.This way you can assign your tasks to your sub-ordinates or someone else
Apart from this, you can re-assign your tasks to your subordinates based on the permissions configured for the respective form.
To configure Form Permissions,
- Go to Settings(gear icon) > User Access Control > Permissions > Form Permissions
- Select the respective form, in this case, 'Task' from the Form name drop down
- Under Record Permissions, enable the 'Subordinates + My Data' option under the 'View' and the 'Edit' column
Now you have configured permissions for the Reporting Manager to edit data on the 'Task' form.
To assign the task to your subordinate,
- From home, go to Checklists & Tasks > List View
- Click on the task that you would like to re-assign to your subordinate
- Click on the edit icon, select the subordinate from the Task owner list
- Click Submit
Note: You can re-assign a task to only one subordinate.
An email will be triggered automatically to the user to whom the task is re-assigned.
Tasks can sometimes be tagged to another employee when their input is needed or when they need to work on a part of the task. This can be done by @mentioning them in the comments space.
The employees who are tagged can view the tasks they have been tagged to under the Watchlist tab.
As soon as a task is added or triggered, an email notification is sent to the Task Owner with the task details. Apart from this, the Task Owner can also view the tasks assigned to him/her by navigating to Self-service > Checklists & Tasks > List View
The ListView gives the list of all the tasks assigned to the individual. In case of Task(s) assigned to a group or department, everyone in the group/department will be able to see the task(s)assigned, in the list view. The 'Pick' option enables the user to pick the task and work on it.
Once a member of a group or department picks the task, another member of the same group or department will be able to see that the task has been picked up already.