Inactive accounts in Zoho Mail
A Zoho Mail account is considered inactive when it has not been accessed via any of the available methods like web, IMAP, POP, mobile application, desktop client, and so on to access Zoho Mail for 180 days. Once marked inactive, we will send an email to the account holder warning that their mailbox will be cleared if the mail account continued to stay inactive. Note that this is only for personal accounts and not organization-wide accounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an inactive account in Zoho Mail?
- How does clearing an inactive mailbox work?
- I don't want to lose the data of my Zoho Mailbox. What should I do?
- I want to keep using Zoho Mailbox with its data. But, I forgot my password. What can I do?
- I am using my Zoho Mail account actively. I don't know why I received an email about it being inactive.
- I don't want to keep my account. What should I do?
- Does clearing my Zoho Mail account affect other services I use with Zoho?
- What will happen to my data if I stay inactive?
- Can I close the account myself?
- How can I close my Zoho Mail account?
A mailbox/account is considered inactive in Zoho Mail when there has been no activity/login registered for 180 days. An account will be considered active based not only on web login and activity but also on any activity in POP, IMAP, desktop client or mobile application.
After an email account stays inactive for more than 180 days, you will receive an email from us warning you about the status of your mailbox. You will have 90 days to take action from the day you receive the first email notification. The email notification sent by us will have the address of your mailbox scheduled to clearing. We will notify you 5 times at specific intervals. Once 90 days expire, your mailbox will be cleared of its data. Note that this action only affects your Zoho Mail account and will not hinder any other Zoho services you may use.
If you want to prevent your mailbox from getting cleared of data, all you need to do is Sign in Once you sign-in your mailbox will be considered active and not be cleared by us.
If you want to retain your mailbox and its data, but forgot your password, you can refer to this page and follow the instructions to reset your password. After resetting the password and logging in, your mailbox will be considered active and not be cleared by us.
I am using my Zoho Mail account actively. I don't know why I received an email about it being inactive.
- The email warning you received is for a Zoho Mail account. If you have been using other Zoho products and not Zoho Mail, your mailbox will still be considered inactive.
- Check the email address of the mailbox we will be clearing. It's most likely a warning for a different account than what you are using currently.
- If you still believe it was a mistake from our side, contact our support.
- If you want to keep using other Zoho products, you can let us clear your Zoho Mailbox after the expiration of 90 days. Or,
- If you don't want to use any other Zoho product including Zoho Mail, you can choose to backup your data and close the account by yourself. Note that closing your Zoho account will result in the termination of all the Zoho services you may be using.
No, it doesn't. We clearing your Zoho Mail account will not affect your usage of any other Zoho products.
If you choose to stay inactive and take no action until the expiration of 90 days, all the data in your Zoho Mail account will be cleared. This will result in you losing all data of your Zoho Mailbox. This only applies to your Zoho Mailbox and not other products.
Yes, you can close your Zoho account by yourself. But once you close your Zoho account, you will not be able to access any other Zoho services you may have availed under the same account.
To close your Zoho Mail account,
- Login to Zoho Account, the Identity and Access management application for all Zoho accounts.
- Select Preferences.
- Under Preferences select Close Account.
- You will be asked to enter your Password. Enter the password.
- Let us know why and click then click Close Account.