Document Merge - An Overview
Table of contents
Any organization, be it private, government or non-profit, require generating content such as letters, emails, labels, and so on. Personalizing this communication is critical when you’re distributing the content to multiple recipients. Rather than generating and sending each letter or email manually, use the Writer’s mail merge tools to automate this process, thus saving a lot of time.
Document merge is a process of generating letters and other documents that are personalized for the recipient, may be a contact or a lead. The content of each document will be predefined in the mail merge template. Mail merge templates include variables called merge fields where data from your data source, (for example, a contact's name or address) will be displayed in the generated document.
- In Writer, you can import data from different sources, such as a CSV file from your desktop, a Zoho Sheet file, or merge data from Zoho Forms or import data from your existing Zoho Contacts. Also, you can create a new data source to merge with your document.
- Customize better:
- The individual messages will almost have the same content, yet some parts of the message require to be customized based on your requirements. For example, you can greet your customers with their name and add personalized subject for each recipient while sending the mail.
- Schedule the required time for sending out the final shipment.
- You can send your document inline or as an attachment to your recipients. Also, you can additional attachments while sending the emails.
- You can send up to 500 emails at once. And up to 1000 emails can be sent in one day. The next of shipments will be looped for the next cycle. You can always check the logs to keep track of the mails delivered.
The daily sending limit for document merge based on your subscription:
- Free users: 50 emails
- Standard users: 500 emails
- Premium users: 1000 emails
- 1000 emails for Zoho CRM users, 1500 for Zoho People and Zoho Recruit.
You can send only up to 500 emails in one shipment.
You require sending letters, mailing labels or envelopes to your users every day, yet it must look like you have sent it personally to each one of them. With document merge, printing mailing labels, sending personalized letters, or contracts and other form letters to customers is as easy as sending emails. Distribute multiple copies of the same document and send to different recipients.
To get started with the mail merge process, you need the following:
Your target document
The document that contains the required text and graphics, which are identical for each version of the final merged document. For example, a document with address on the envelope or a welcome message, or a personalized letter.
Data Source: Your mailing list
Now keep the data source ready to merge it with your main document. A data source is a file/database that contains the recipients' details such as, name, address, contact number, email address, etc,. Also, make sure which data fields you require to merge with your target document. Learn how to setup your data source files.
Your merged document
This is the final merged document that is a combination of your target document and the data source file. Information is pulled from your data source and merged in your target document.
To select the data source file,
- Create or open the required document.
- Switch to the Distribute mode on your document and choose Mail Merge.
Alternatively, click the More > Tools > Mail Merge.
- Select the required data source from the Mail Merge Panel.
To know more on how to setup your data source file, click here.
When you select your data source file, a list of data field names will appear in the Mail Merge panel. These are the names of the column headers of your data source file. For example, <<Name>>, <<Company>>
The insert merge field also has a search option which allows you to search fields by name and land at the right one within seconds.
For more details, see how to setup merge fields for document merge.
Before you merge your document and the data source file, you can have a preview of the records to make sure that the field data will appear properly when the data is merged. When you preview records, the document displays actual data from the data source file instead of the field placeholders. Say for example, instead of seeing <<Company>>, you will see Zylker Corporation in your Preview. Also, use filter or use the search option to list only the required records on the Viewing panel. You can navigate through the merged copy from without leaving the document.
To view a preview of your target document,
- Click Preview under the Complete Merge header of the Mail Merge panel.
- Email a particular record or download your merged document directly from the Preview tab.
- Once the document is finalized, you can send it directly for e-signing from the Preview tab.
If you find any problem with the records in your preview, such as extra spaces, please edit the data source file accordingly and try again.
To email your document,
- Under Complete Merge header of the Mail Merge Panel, click Email.
- In the Email Merged Document pop up do the following:
- Choose the From Address, from which the emails has to be sent.
- Choose the Reply To email address from the drop-down.
- Enter/Choose the required email id from the email field.
- Also, include Cc/Bcc email ids to send a copy of the mails to particular recipients.
- Now enter a subject line to your email. You can create personalized subjects for your emails with merge fields in your subject line.
Click the icon, so that the required field will be merged with the subject line. Learn more on how to create personalized subject to your emails.
- Now choose how to send your document via email.
You can send the document as inline or either as an attachment in your mail. Learn more.
- Add additional attachments, if required.
- Schedule the time to which your email has to be sent, if needed. You can choose to send the emails immediately or set a time as per your requirements. You will also receive mail with a link to track the delivery status of the scheduled merge, once you start the mail merge process. Learn more.
- Click Send. Your merged document will be sent to all the recipients.
Here is a detailed guide on how you can preview, merge and schedule your emails
To create merged documents,
- Click Merge under Complete Merge header of the Mail Merge Panel. The Create Merged Document pop-up will open.
- Choose how to create merged documents. You can create a final merged documents for all records or create documents separately for each record using the merge option.
- Customize the File Name by adding adding merge tags.
- By default, merged documents will be saved to the root folder of your Zoho Docs account. Click on Choose to save it to a particular folder of your choice.
- Click Create. Your merged documents will be created.
You can keep track of the mails sent/delivered and have a consolidated summary of your merge sessions. In case of scheduled mail merge activity, you will receive a mail with a link to track the delivery status of the scheduled merge. You can click on the link to view the status of the activity. Also view the details of bounce messages on the details page, once the mails are sent to the recipients.Learn more about Mail Merge Status Tracking.
To view logs,
Click VIEW MAILMERGE LOGS under Complete Merge header of the Mail Merge panel.