Configure and Manage Merge Fields
Table of contents
Once you have created your merge template with the content and merge fields, you need to configure the type of fields in your document.
You can configure the of fields with respect to each field label. This makes it easy to identify the exact field type and merge accordingly in your document.
To configure the type of fields,
- Open your template document.
- Click More > Automate > Prepare > Merge template.
- In the Merge Template panel that follows, you can see the fields created or imported for that particular template under the Manage Fields header.
- Click the Settings icon near the Manage Fields header.
- In the Manage Fields pop-up that follows, map the field label with the equivalent field types. For example, map the <profile link> field with the Link Field Type.
- Select the checkbox "Remove the blank lines, if any, due to empty merge field", if needed. This makes sure to remove the empty lines in your merged document for fields that has no data.
- Click Save.
Mail merges that involve data like addresses, may have empty data for a few of its records as they are optional. Previously, a line break was added in the generated document if the merged field is empty, but now you have the option to control the output and reduce the number of blank spaces in your final document. With the advanced option, you can manage to suppress a blank line that appears for every empty field. Instead, if there is no text in the line, the line is not created at all in the merge result. This helps you to avoid multiple blank lines in the document and saves you the trouble of deleting them manually.
Sort or filter the recipient list before you start Mail Merge in Writer. You can customize your merge and create a filter to include or exclude certain records based on specific criteria. For example, if you want to send offer letters for records with “Designation” specified as “Content Writer” in your data source, you can filter the recipient list based on the above condition and send the email only to these records.
Once you have linked the data source and set up your merge fields, choose to filter the recipient details from the Merge existing data panel.
To filter records,
- Open the target document.
- Click More > Automate > Merge Template.
- Under Select Data Source, you will find a Filter icon next to the linked data source file.
In the following Filter Records popup, you can,
- Filter records based on certain conditions.
- Filter records between a particular range.
Filter records based on conditions
If you want to filter records based on certain conditions, use this option. For example, if you want to send the mail to the users with particular criteria, you can specify the condition and click Filter.
Filter records between a particular range
If you want to send the document to a particular range of records from your mailing list, you can use this option.
- Choose the "Between a particular range" option from the filter records popup.
- Set the record range and click Filter.
The following is an example of how you can merge your template and map it with a personalized hyperlink field.
You can include a hyperlink field in your data source file (a spreadsheet or .csv) and merge it in the target document. Say, for example, you are sending a welcome letter to your new recruits and you require including a link to their respective profiles personally. Now, If you want the full hyperlink to be displayed in your merged document (as shown in your data source file), then simply insert the merge field by adding a column with the required links in your data source. However, if you do not want to show the entire link in the letter and want to place this link behind some standard text (such as, “click here”), here's how you can do it.
Step 1: Create your merge template
Firstly, create a new template document or open the existing document that contains the required text and merge fields.
Step 2: Prepare your data source with personalized hyperlinks
Now keep the data source ready with the required data (for example, Name, Email id, Hyperlinks) to merge it with your template document.
Step 3: Map hyperlink fields
You need to configure and map the required fields (<<Naame>>, <<hyperlink>>) in your email template.
To map the hyperlink field,
- Select the "click here" text and click on the link icon from the pinnable tool palette.
- Choose the required Field from the Merge Fields drop-down and click Apply.