Working with documents
Be it a company report, a letter of agreement, draft, dossier or script, Writer has all the features to help you create and manage documents better. Start by creating and naming your document. Saving is no pain with Writer as it auto-saves content as and when you type. Feel free to make as many changes as you want while you work on your document. You can also always revert to an earlier version in Writer. Move files across folders to organize them better. If you have your documents stored elsewhere and all you need is a word-processor, you can easily import your documents to Writer and work on them. Work on your documents productively even when you are not connected to the internet. Writer will sync all the changes you made, the moment you come online. Access your mostly used files from the recent files list or add them to favorites with just a click.
To create a new document,
- Click File in the top-left corner of your screen. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Select New Blank Document to open a fresh document in a new tab.
To rename a document,
- Click the document title field in the upper-left of the window.
- Enter the new name of the document and hit Enter or click outside the title field to save your changes.
To save a file in a specific folder,
- Click the document title field in the top-left corner of the window.
- Click the folder icon to the right of the title field. A drop-down menu displaying your folders will appear.
- Select the folder to which you want to add the document and click Done.
To access your recent files,
- Click File.
- Select Open Recent from the drop-down menu.
A drop-down list of your recent files will be displayed.
To create a document copy,
- Click File.
- Select Make a copy from the drop-down menu.
- In the window that appears, change the name for the document copy. Also, choose an existing folder or create a new folder to locate your document, if needed.
- Under Advanced Options, you can choose to include comments and tracked changes in your document copy.
- Click Save. A copy of the document will be created in the location you specified.
To make a document copy along with track changes and comments, you need to be either the owner or co-owner of the document. Shared users can only create a copy and move to specific folders.
You can move any document to a different folder when you want to change your file/folder structure.
To move a document,
- Click the Folder icon near the title of your document. A drop-down list will display all your folders. The file's current folder will be highlighted.
- Select from the available folders or create a new folder and move the document based on your requirements.
- Click Move.
The document properties window will display details like the title of the document, owner of the document, version number, permalink, document access details, location, publishing status, date of creation, date of modification and number of pages, words and characters available in your document.
To view document properties,
- Clickicon in top right corner of the window.
- A panel with detailed information for the document will be displayed.
You can add important files to your Favorites list by clicking the star icon in the top-left corner of the document window. The star icon will turn yellow, indicating that your document has been added to your favorites list.
All your documents are automatically saved as you make changes. However, you can also save a copy of your document in cloud drives such as Zoho Docs, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive and Evernote. Here's how:
- Click File.
- Click on 'Save to Other Drives' option from the drop-down.
- Choose your drive and click Authenticate.
- Enter your credentials in the pop-up that follows in order to link your account with Writer.
- Select the Folder you would like to copy your document to. Click Add to this Folder to save your document.
Note: Document will be saved in .docx format by default.