What should I do if an employee’s advance amount is greater than the reimbursable amount?

If the employee’s advance amount is greater than the reimbursable amount, the admin can choose to receive the balance amount from the employee or carry forward the remaining advance amount, which employees can apply to another expense report. If the employee returns the balance advance amount, the admin can record a reimbursement for the amount received from the employee. If the admin lets the employee to carry forward the balance amount, a new advance will be created for the employee.

To record a reimbursement for the excess advance amount:

  1. Switch to Admin View.
  2. Go to Reports.
  3. Navigate to the Awaiting Reimbursement tab and click the approved report which has excess advance.
  4. Click Record Reimbursement.
  5. If the employee has returned the balance amount, select Yes, returned the balance amount option, and enter the other details such as Notes and Reference#.
  6. If you want to let the employee use the excess amount on their future reports, select No, can use the balance amount on future expense reports option. A new advance will be created with the balance amount. The employees can view the newly created advance under the Advances module and apply it to their future reports. If advance approval is enabled for the organization, the advance will be automatically approved.
  7. Click Record Advance Refund or Record Advance Carry Forward to save the details.
Get a personalized demo from our experts

Attend a demo and receive $50 worth of Zoho Wallet credits that you can use to subscribe to Zoho Expense!



By clicking Submit, you agree to our Privacy Policy.