Client Approval For Time Entries
Client Approval allows you to get your time entries verified and approved by the clients you’re working for. This would let the clients know the total number of hours you’ve worked for them. The approved time entries alone can later be invoiced to the client.
Understanding Client Approvals
Andy used Client Approval while managing the projects in his business. Let’s take a look at his business scenario to understand this better.
Andy has taken up a project for which he will be paid based on the time he has worked on it. He records the work done by each employee and sends the time entries to his customer for approval. By this way, the customer will get to know the exact number of hours spent on each task and the total time spent on finishing the project. Once the time entries are approved by his customer, Andy will invoice to the client, thus making the work clear and easy to both the customer and Andy.
Enabling Client Approvals
- Click the Gear icon on the top right corner and select Preferences.
- Go to the Projects tab and mark the Enable Client Approvals for time entries box.
If you haven’t enabled projects and timesheets in the Client Portal, a pop-up will appear asking you to enable it.
Check the Enable Projects and Timesheet in Client Portal option and click Save and Enable to let your customers view your client approvals from the Client Portal.
Note: Client Approvals are only available for customers for whom you’ve enabled the Client Portal.
Creating Client Approvals
Once you enable the Client Approval option, a tab named Client Approvals will appear in the Time Tracking module.
Prerequisite: Client Approvals are available only for projects for which you’ve enabled them. To enable Client Approval for a project:
- Mark the Enable Client Approval for the time entries of this project box when creating a new project or editing an existing project.
There are two ways through which you can create client approvals:
1. From the Client Approvals Module
- Go to the Client Approvals module under the Time Tracking tab on the left sidebar.
- Click + Create Approval.
2. From the Timesheet Module
- Go to the Timesheet module under the Time Tracking tab on the left sidebar.
- Select the time entries that need to be sent for approval.
- Click the Submit for Client Approval button on the top.
In the client approval creation page:
- Choose a customer from the Customer Name dropdown.
- Provide a name for the approval in the Name field.
- Select the projects for which you’d like to include time entries from the Projects dropdown.
- Add a description (if any) for the client approval in the Description field.
- Choose a due date in the Due Date field if you want your client to approve the time entries before a specific date.
- Select the time entries you wish to send your customer under Timesheet.
- Click Save and Submit to save and submit the approval immediately. Next, click Submit for Approval in the following pop-up.
- Click Save to save and submit it later.
Note: You cannot include the time entries that have already been invoiced in a client approval.