Items in Zoho Books
Items are the products or services that you sell to your customers. You can also purchase these items from your preferred vendor, in the case of a reseller-based business, for example. Create and manage the items you deal with in your business and also create price lists for specific clients.
Follow the simple steps mentioned below to create, edit and manage the items dealt in your business.
Creating a New Item
Create a new item that could be a product you sell or a service you render to your customers.
To create a new item:
- Select the Items module from the side bar.
- To create a new item, click on the + New Item button placed above the items window.
- The pop-up form to fill-in the details for a new item appears.
- Select the Type of the item, whether it is Goods or Service.
- Fill-in the Name of the item to be created.
- Select the appropriate Unit for the item from the dropdown.
- Click on the Upload Image box to upload the image of the item. This feature is not available by default. If you wish to enable it, you can enable it in Settings > Preferences > Items. Kindly refer our FAQ page for more details.
- If its a Digital Service, select Service and check the It is a digital service option. You must enable VAT MOSS to view this option. Learn more.
Check the Sales Information or Purchase Information box according to the category you wish to save your item.
If you are creating a new sales item:
- Check only the Sales Information box.
- Enter the sales rate of the item under the GBP label.
- Select the account you wish to record your sales in, from the Account dropdown.
- Select the VAT rate you wish to impose on the item from the VAT dropdown.
Note: Taxes shown in the dropdown are from the VAT tab placed under Settings, learn more.
- Enter the sales description of the item under the Description field and click on Save to create a new sales item.
If you are creating a new purchase item:
Note: You can create a new purchase item, only if you enable purchase order from settings. Enabling Purchase Order
- Check only the Purchase Information box.
- Enter the purchase rate of the item under the GBP label.
- Select the account you wish to record your purchase in, from the Account dropdown.
- If you wish to create a new purchase account, select the New Account option from the dropdown.
- A pop-up form to create a new purchase account appears.
- Enter the desired account name for the new purchase account to be created and add detail of the account in the Description field. Check the Make this a sub-account option and select a parent account, if you wish to create it as a sub-account.
- Click on Save and Select to add the new purchase account and to select it for the new purchase item.
- Enter the purchase description of the item in the Description field.
- Click on Save to create a new purchase item.
If both the Sales Information and Purchase Information boxes are checked, the inventory tracking option would appear in the form to track Inventory for the item. Learn more about Inventory Tracking.
Importing & Exporting Items
You can import items into Zoho Books either as .csv (Comma-Separated Values), .tsv (Tab-Separated Values) or .xls (eXceL Spreadsheet) files, and export items created from Zoho Books as a .csv or .xls files.
- To import items into your Zoho Books account, select the Import Items option by clicking on the Gear icon.
- You will be navigated to a new window wherein you can choose either a .csv, .tsv or .xls file to be uploaded.
- Under Duplicate Records, select Skip if you do not want the new items from the import to replace the similar old items or select Overwrite if you want the new items from the import to replace the similar old items.
- Select the character encoding involved from the drop down. By default, the character encoding is set to UTF-8 (Unicode).
Click on Next to map the fields of the file you have chosen, to the fields in Zoho Invoice. The column headers of your file may differ from the ones in Zoho Invoice, so you would have to carefully match them.
The mandatory fields to be mapped, will be highlighted in red.
A few points to remember:
- Items should be imported in Base currency only.
- Item code field refers to Item name in Zoho Books.
- Description refers to the Sales description provided in the item creation page.
- Similarly, Rate and Account refer to Sales rate and Sales account respectively.
- The Purchase details will be mapped only if you have mentioned the correct value in the Item Type field - Sales / Purchases / Sales and Purchases.
Note: Download the Sample file to compare how the perfect import file should be made.
- To export items from your Zoho Books account, select the Export Items option by clicking on the Gear icon.
- Select CSV or XLS option from the pop-up page and click Export.
Select the Module for which you would like to export data.
Click the dropdown under Fields in Export File to select a template (If you don’t select an export template, all data fields will be exported).
Select the format in which you wish to export: CSV or XLS.
Click Export and save the file into your desired location.
You can also mark your items as Active or Inactive and Delete your items.
You can edit the details of the items you created by clicking on the specific items.
To mark the item as Active or Inactive and to Delete, click on the check-box for selecting the items you wish to do the action.
After selecting the items, you will be able to view the Mark as Active button, Mark as Inactive button and the Delete icon on top of the items window.
Click on the Mark as Active button to make an inactive item, active and, click on the Mark as Inactive button to make an active item, inactive.
Click on the Delete icon and select OK from the pop-up to permanently delete the item(s) selected.
Note: If the items that you wish to delete have already been part of any transactions, they cannot be deleted. Instead, they can be marked as Inactive.