Domain Verification for Mail Agents
In TransMail, a Mail Agent groups your transactional emails at a high-level. Domains are added and verified within a Mail Agent. For example, OTP emails can be send using one Mail Agent and Account confirmation emails using another Mail Agent. So the first step is to create a Mail Agent. After you create your Mail Agent, the next step is to add your domains. The added domains must be verified. Emails sent using trusted and verified sender domains reach the recipient's inbox. Other's are either placed in the spam folder or rejected by the Email Service Provider.
It is mandatory to verify your added domains before you can send your transactional emails. Verifications to be done:
- SPF and DKIM validation are configured for domain verification.
- CNAME record is configured for bounce address setup. Once the bounce address is created, use this bounce address in your SMTP/ API.
You can authenticate your domain using any of the below methods:
- From the left panel, click on Mail Agents and select a Mail Agent where you want to add or verify your domain.
- To add a new domain to the Mail Agent, click on Add Domain.
Enter Domain Name and click on Add. The new domain along with its Verification Status will be displayed below your existing domain.
- Click on Verify Domain across the domain to view SPF and DKIM configuration details.
- Copy SPF Record, DKIM Record and CNAME Record and publish them to DNS. Refer here for general instructions to add SPF and DKIM records in the DNS.
- It may take 24-48 hours for the records to be published in the DNS. So your domain will not be verified until that time and you will not be able to send any emails.
- If you have an already existing SPF TXT record configured for any other service say "v=spf1 include:zoho.com ~all", then you should not create a new SPF TXT record for TransMail. If the new TransMail SPF TXT value is "v=spf1 include:transmail.net ~all", then modify your existing DNS SPF TXT record value to "v=spf1 include:transmail.net include:zoho.com ~all".
- After these records are published, click on Verify.
The next step is to add a bounce address for the Mail Agent. Hover on your domain and click on Bounce Settings option on the right side. Enter the Bounce Address and click on Add.
Your new domain is verified successfully.
Sometimes you may not be handing your domains. In that case, you can get help from your IT administrator to publish DNS Records. Follow the below steps to share your records:
Follow steps 1 to 3 as above.
Click on Share.
If you have an already existing SPF TXT record configured for any other service say "v=spf1 include:zoho.com ~all", then you should not create a new SPF TXT record for TransMail. If the new TransMail SPF TXT value is "v=spf1 include:transmail.net ~all", then modify your existing DNS SPF TXT record value to "v=spf1 include:transmail.net include:zoho.com ~all".
- You will get an email template pop-up.
- You can enter the email address of your IT administrator and all other related email ids who must be notified to get your SPF Record and DKIM Record published to the DNS. Add information in the body text. Click on Send.
After these records are published, click on Verify.
Now follow steps 7 till 10 to set up your bounce address.
It may take 24-48 hours for the records to be published in the DNS. So your domain will not be verified until that time and you will not be able to send any emails.
In TransMail all your un-verified domains can be edited. To edit your domain, follow the below steps:
- From the left panel, click on Mail Agents and select a Mail Agent where you want to edit the domain.
- Hover on the domain that is not verified.
Click on Edit icon located next to the domain you wish to edit.
- You can now change the domain name to your desired name.
Only a user with the role Postmaster can delete a verified domain from Mail Agents. If you delete a domain, all the data associated with the domain will also be deleted. You will NOT be able to send any further emails from the deleted domain. If you use a deleted sender domain in your API/ SMTP, it will show an error message. In order to send emails using this domain, you will have to add and verify the domain once again. Follow the below steps to delete a domain:
- From the left panel, select the Mail Agent whose associated domain has to be deleted.
- Hover on the domain in the listing you want to delete. Click on delete icon on right-hand-side for that domain.
Click on OK to confirm the deletion of the domain. The domain will be deleted.
|Domain verification type||Purpose||Record type||Host||Value|
|SPF*||Domain verification||TXT||@/ subdomain name||v=spf1 include:transmail.net ~all|
|DKIM*||TXT||<selector>._domainkey.subdomain||Find this value under Domains tab, while verifying a domain in your TransMail Mail Agent.|
|CNAME*||To configure bounce address||CNAME||subdomain name||Find this value in the Domain Verification tab, while configuring your domain.|
|CNAME||To enable email tracking||CNAME||subdomain name||Find this value under the Email tracking tab, while verifying the tracking domain.|
* - mandatory DNS records
Refer here for instruction specific to popular DNS providers like GoDaddy.
Before you get started it is important to know that TransMail is for sending transactional emails like welcome emailers, password resets emails, OTPs. We do not support sending of bulk emails or promotional emails like newsletters or marketing campaign emails. If you are looking for a bulk email provider, you can visit Zoho Campaigns.