What is the GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new data privacy regulation that aims to give individuals in the European Union (EU) better protection and control over how their personal information is used, processed, or disposed. This regulation, effective from the 25th of May, 2018, clarifies how EU personal data laws apply even beyond the borders of the EU.
If you're a business with customers in the EU, the GDPR will be applicable to you while you're handling personal data of your EU customers.
Why is it crucial that you use a GDPR-ready Social Media Management Software?
As a social media management tool, Zoho Social helps its users manage all their social media channels from a single place. Since the content on social networks is user-generated, it may contain personal data of individuals, in case they decide to share it. The GDPR mandates that companies maintain a log of all of the customer information and all the ways in which it is being used.
What has Zoho Social done to be GDPR-ready?
Right to Data Portability
One of the key aspects of the GDPR is the right to transfer data from one controller to another.
- We store our users' data safely in multiple data centers either across the United States or Europe. However, if you wish to migrate your data from the US data center to our EU data center, we will do it for you right away, without compromising its safety.
- If you'd like a list of all the actions you've made in Zoho Social, right from scheduling posts to creating drafts, we will help you download and export that information in a CSV file.
Security of Processing
When it comes to data protection, Personally Identifiable Information (PII) lies at the heart of it. This refers to personal details such as name, email address, etc., specific to an individual that can be used to easily differentiate one individual from another.
- Zoho Social is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. We use Encryption At Rest (EAR) to encrypt such sensitive data about you to prevent hackers from misusing your information.
- You can also view Audit Logs from within Zoho Social to reveal the history of changes you or your team members have made, and easily keep track of all modifications.
- Zoho Social helps you create reports based on how your business or agency is performing on social media. We also make sharing reports with your stakeholders via emails simple, along with the option of protecting your report's ZIP files with strong passwords, while ensuring a high level of security.
1. Why should you be GDPR compliant?
- According to the GDPR, any organization that works with EU residents' personal data in any manner has obligations to protect the data. This includes basic customer information that your business needs such as name, email, and phone number.
2. How does GDPR help businesses?
- When customers know how their data is being stored and used, they have a greater degree of trust in the business. This regulation ensures that.
- Opt-in emails ensure better open and CTR rates for email engagements, because only those who're interested in your content will choose to receive it.
3. How does GDPR help customers?
- Since businesses can only store necessary personal data (with a specific purpose), customers experience enhanced privacy and have a stronger control over their personal data.
- Strict regulation and strong penalties ensure fewer data breaches and security incidents, giving more security over their personal data to end users.
4. How does the GDPR impact Zoho Social customers?
- At Zoho, we've never used your information to serve ads, and never will. This is something that's been there since before the inception of the GDPR. In line with the GDPR and our "privacy first" culture, we've also further introduced a set of changes to ensure that our customers around the world have better protection and more control over how their data is used.
- The GDPR distinguishes between organisations that are “data controllers” and those that are “data processors”. Zoho Social is a data processor of content created, requested, or published via supported social networks in accordance with how the customers engage with our platform. As “data controllers”, our customers control how their content is collected and used by them, on Zoho Social.
5. Can I delete my data any time I want?
- You will have all the rights to close your account or discontinue using our services at any point you deem fit. Once you send us an email requesting us to erase your data, we will oblige your request to do so without any delay.
6. How can I download my personal data?
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will help you export all your data.
Disclaimer: The information presented herein should not be taken as legal advice. We recommend that you seek legal advise on what you need to do to comply with the requirements of GDPR.