Create & Send Retainer Invoices
In this page, you will learn about:
Status of a Retainer Invoice
A retainer invoice in Zoho Books will have any one of the following statuses after creation:
|Draft||Retainer Invoices when created will be in Draft status before being sent to the customer.|
|Sent||Retainer Invoices once sent to the customers will be changed to the Sent status.|
|Paid||Once you record payment for the retainer invoice, its status will change to Paid.|
|Partially Drawn||When you use a part of the retainer amount towards an invoice, the status of the retainer invoice will change to Partially Drawn.|
|Drawn||When the full retainer amount is used towards an invoice, the status of the retainer invoice will change to Drawn.|
Enabling Retainer Invoices
To enable retainer invoices in Zoho Books:
- Click the Gear icon in the top right corner of the page.
- Select Preferences.
- Under Select the modules you would like to enable, check the box Retainer Invoices.
- Upon checking the box, a drop down of accounts will appear to record the retainer invoice. As this will be recorded under a liability, in general, it is preferred to select Unearned Revenue.
- Click Save.
Creating a New Retainer Invoice
To create a new retainer invoice:
- Go to the Sales module on the left sidebar.
- Select Retainer Invoices.
- Click the + New button in the top right corner of the page.
- Fill in the New Retainer Invoice page.
- Click Save as Draft or Save and Send.
|Customer Name||Select the customer for whom you will be creating the retainer invoice.|
|Retainer Invoice Number||This number is auto-generated. You can manually set it by clicking the Gear icon next to it.|
|Reference#||Enter a reference number (optional).|
|Reference Invoice Date||Date on which you create the retainer invoice.|
|Description||Enter the product for which you are creating the retainer invoice.|
|Amount||Enter the retainer invoice amount.|
|Customer Notes||Enter notes relating to the retainer invoice which will be displayed on the invoice when sent to the customer.|
|Payment Options||Select the payment option that should be used for charging the customer or for the customer to make payment for the retainer invoice.|
|Terms & Conditions||Customize the terms & conditions section that will be displayed on the retainer invoice.|
|Template||You can change the Template of the invoice, by clicking the Pencil icon.|