Workflow Field Updates
The Field Update option helps you to automatically update certain field values in the records, when the associated workflow rule is triggered.
Profile Permission Required : Users with the Administrator profile can access this feature.
To create field updates
- Go to Setup > Automation > Workflow > Field Updates.
- In the Workflow Field Updates page, click Configure Field Update.
- In the New Workflow Field Update page, do the following:
- Enter a Name for the field update.
- Select the Module from the drop-down list.
You can also update the field values of the related parent records associated to the record selected for workflow rule. For example: While creating workflow rules for Contacts, you will be able to update the fields of the parent Account records too.
- Select the field from the Update drop-down list that needs to be updated.
- Specify the value for the field that you want updated.
- Click Save.
- Workflow Field Updates cannot be associated to a workflow rule if the Execution Criteria selected for a rule is 'Delete'.
- You can associate a maximum of 3 field updates to each action (Instant and Time Based Actions).
- You can update the Record Owner field too using this feature.
- You can also use this feature to update a Text field and DateTime field with no value so that the field is left blank.
- Using workflow field updates, the owner of the record can be changed. If the user to be assigned is inactive or unconfirmed, the workflow field update will not be executed.
- From within a workflow rule, you can also create Workflow Field Updates to update parent record's fields.
Record Type Parent Records That You Can Update Contacts Accounts, Vendors Potentials Accounts, Campaigns, Contacts Cases Products, Accounts, Potentials, Contacts Solutions Products Products Vendors Quotes Contacts, Accounts, Potentials Sales Order Contacts, Accounts, Potentials, Quotes Purchase Orders Contacts, Vendors Invoices Accounts, Sales Orders, Contacts
Scenario for Field Update
If you have candidate records from various sources, to assign a candidate owner for all candidates records' from a particular source, you can create a workflow rule and update the records in bulk.
Rule: Whenever a candidate record's Source value is Resume Inbox.
Action(Field Update): Reassign ownership of the candidate record.
First, you need to create Workflow Field Update as given below:
- Click Setup > Automation > Workflow > Field Update.
- In the Workflow Field Update page, click Configure Field Update.
- In the New Workflow Field Update page, enter a Name (Candidate Ownership) for the update.
- Select the Module (Candidates) for which the field update applies.
- Specify the Update (Candidate Owner = Christina Paul).
- Click Save.
Once the field updates are created, you need to create a workflow rule with the following:
- Module - Candidates
- Execute On - Record Action
- Rule Criteria - When candidate record Source is changed to "Resume Inbox"
- Instant Action - Workflow Field Update(select the field update that you created)
Now, when you update the source field of any candidate record(placed in Other Info section) to Resume Inbox, the record ownership is automatically reassigned to the specified user.