Task Roll-up in Projects
Roll-up helps you summarize a project’s information such as the overall project duration, planned work hours, actual log hours, and percentage completion. A project roll-up summarizes the total of the planned work hours of the project, the total of the actual hours logged in, the aggregate of the completion percentage based on all tasks in a project, and the overall project duration based on the start date of the earliest task and end date of the last task in the project. These details can also be rolled up to the milestones. Additionally, task work hours and log hours can be rolled up from their subtasks.
Start date, end date, and % completion will rollup from Subtasks -> Tasks -> Milestone -> Projects
Work hours and log hours will roll up from Subtasks -> Tasks
- Feature Availability: Premium and Enterprise plans.
- Enable Roll-up while creating a new project
- Enable Roll-up while editing new projects
- Roll-up using Gantt Chart
- Roll-up work hours of subtasks
- Roll-up log hours of subtasks
- Can I disable Roll-up?
- Navigate to Projects list view.
- Click New Project.
- Fill in the project details and check Roll-up option.
- Start date, end date, and % completion are rolled up from tasks/subtasks to milestones and project.
- Start date, end date, % completion, work hours, and log hours are rolled up from subtasks to tasks.
- A dependent task cannot be made a subtask when roll-up is enabled.
- Dependencies cannot be set between subtasks and its parent when Roll-up is enabled.
- Strict Project start and end dates will not change with change in subtask dates.
- Subtasks start and end dates should fall within the date range of a strict project.
- Navigate to a project.
- Click and select Edit Project.
- Edit project details and check Roll-up option. (Enabling Roll-up when editing a project is available only for new projects.)
- Roll-up cannot be enabled if there are dependencies between subtasks and their parent task.
- Roll-up cannot be enabled if a parent task has work hours or log hours.
Start date, end date, and % completion can also be rolled up from tasks/subtasks to the milestones and projects in the Gantt chart.
Work hours are rolled up from subtasks to their parent tasks.
Log hours are rolled up from subtasks to their parent tasks.
Since work hours and log hours are updated automatically from child tasks to parent tasks, disabling this feature and entering data manually will lead to inconsistencies and generate faulty reports. Hence, you will not be able to disable this feature after enabling it.