Critical path is crucial for project management. Critical path shows the longest stretch of dependent activities in a project. These activities or tasks cannot be delayed without delaying the overall project. Identifying critical path lets you effectively devote time and resources to such tasks.
- Feature Availability: Enterprise plan
- Advantages of Critical Path
- Critical Path in Zoho Projects
- View Critical Path on Gantt Chart
- Slack in Tasks
- Identify activities that require more focus. Delay in these activities can throw projects off-track.
- Determine activities that can be completed in a shorter time (crashing) and reduce project duration.
- Use the critical path timeline as a benchmark and measure the actual progress against it.
- Track multiple critical paths if available.
- Identify non-critical activities and manage resources economically.
All you need to do is create tasks, set duration, and establish task dependencies. Zoho Projects gives a visual representation of the critical path on a Gantt chart. You can also view non-critical activities and their slack time be hovering over the activity.
Constructing a house involves numerous tasks which are dependent on each other. Considering a broad level list of tasks, let's see how critical path can be viewed on the Gantt chart.
The critical path in the project is highlighted in red.
- Navigate to a project.
- Select Gantt & Reports and select Gantt Chart.
- Click in the upper right corner.
- Toggle Critical Path and Slack to view them on the Gantt Chart.
- Critical tasks will be highlighted in the task details page even if Critical Path is toggled off.
Slack is the acceptable delay in a task without delaying the project. Tasks which have slack are not part of critical path and are considered as non-critical activities. Slack is represented by a dotted line.
Slack in dependent tasks
- If there a multiple successor tasks, the slack line will be shown from predecessor task to the nearest successor task.
- SS dependency: Slack line will be shown from predecessors start date to successors start date.
- SF dependency: Slack line will be shown from predecessors start date to successors end date.
- FS dependency: Slack line will be shown from predecessors end date to successors start date.
- FF dependency: Slack line will be shown from predecessors end date to successors end date.
Holidays will not be considered for charting critical path.