Import and Export
- Importing data from excel sheet into a form in Zoho People
- Importing data in tabular sections
- Exporting data from a form
- Enabling password protection for exporting files
Importing data from excel sheet into a form in Zoho People
Follow the steps given below to import data into a form:
- From your home page, go to the respective form
- Click the ellipsis icon at the right corner of the page and click Import
- Select the form name and upload the file to be imported. You can download the sample template for import and fill in the details. The file must be in xls, zslx or csv format.
- Click Next.
- Map the details and confirm mapping.
- If the file has any duplicates, select Skip or Overwrite.
Importing data in tabular sections
To import data in the tabular sections of the employee form,
- Select the tabular section you want to import under Import data for: For example, work experience.
- Select the field you want the under Import based on. Import can be done based on the Zoho link id (unique ID of each record), any unique identifiers or no duplicate fields that are enabled in the form. This field should be the first column in the file.
- Upload the file to be imported. You can download the sample template for import and fill in the details. Click Next.
- Map the details, confirm mapping, and handle duplicates if any.
Once the import is complete, an import summary will be sent by mail. If there are any errors, that will be given as an attachment. This file will expire in 7 days. The error file can be downloaded from the import history page as well.
- If unique fields are mapped, they will either be added or updated based on the skip or overwrite option chosen.
- No empty columns or rows should be there in between in the file as that is assumed as the end of the file.
- If the file type is an excel, no macros or formulas must be present in the file.
Exporting data from a form
Follow the steps given below to export data from a form. You can also export files and images if required.
- Go to the respective form. In this case,the Employee form. Navigate to Organization > Employee > Click on the ellipsis icon
- Select the desired view from the drop-down. The export depends on the records and fields that get displayed in the selected view.
- Select Export as either xlsx,xls,csv,tsv format
- Choose either Single File or Multiple Files option to export.
Single file option:
Data is exported as one single file. Within the same file, all tabular sections such as employee view, educational qualifications, work experience, group medical form are included.
Multiple Files option:
Data is exported as one zip file containing separate files for each tabular section such as employee view, educational qualifications, work experience, group medical form
Record identifying data such as Link ID, Employee ID, First Name, and Last Name are presented in all individual files.
- You can also enable the include files & images checkbox if you would like to include files and images along with exported data.
- Click Export
Note: Based on your selection, an individual file of the selected file type, or a .zip file will be exported into your hard-drive, if "include files & images" checkbox is enabled, a download link will be sent to your email address.
Enabling password protection for exporting files
You can protect forms containing sensitive data like salary details, performance appraisal reports, etc, with a password during the export process. The exported file can be opened only with the password and hence ensures secure and private exporting of data. Apart from setting export permissions, (under Form Permissions), setting a password ensures a further level of protection for the data in a form.
Let's say you would like to export the salary details of my employees from Zoho People. How do you export it securely?
You can protect forms containing sensitive data like salary details, performance appraisal reports, etc, with a password during the export process. The exported file can be opened only with the password and hence ensures secure and private exporting of data. Apart from setting export permissions, (Under Form Permissions), setting a password ensures a further level of protection for the data in a form.
Follow the steps given below to do this.
- From your homepage, click on Settings(gear icon) > Customization > Forms
- Select the form, for which you would like to enable password protection, in this case, the 'Salary' form
Tip: Click here to know how to create a form.
- Under Form Properties > General Configuration > Click on Enable password protection
Now any export made from the form will be done in .xlsx format, protected with a password to open the file.
Now, to export salary data,
- From your Home > go to Compensation > Salary
- Click on the ellipsis icon near the filter > Export
Note: Permissions should be configured for users to be able to export data. Click here to know how.
- Click Export
The file will be exported with data. To open this file, you will be asked to type in a password, which will be sent to you via mail.
- Configuring password to open the exported file is available only for files of format .xlsx.
- The password to open the exported file will be sent to the User's mail address, used for his/her Zoho People account.
- It is advised to reset the password, once you open the exported file with it.
- If there are tabular columns in the form, and you have included tabular columns as part of the export, then the export will be done in zip format. For eg., if you have two tabular columns in the form, then the Zip file will have three separate files, one for each tabular column and the third file for the rest of the fields
Now you have exported sensitive data, that can be opened only with a password, sent to the administrator.