Creating and Editing Forms
- Creating a Form
- Form Link Name
- Customizing a Form
- Form Fields
- Form Field-Lookup
- Usecase-Creating Filters for a Travel Form
- Form Field-Formula
- Adding and Editing a Formula Field
- Usecases-Formula Field
- Adding Drop-down Options in a Bulk
- Editing a Form Name
- Marking a Field Mandatory
- Making a Field Unique
- Audit History of a Field
- Disabling/Deleting Form Fields
- Creating Sections in a Form
- Cloning a Form
- Auto Numbering in Forms
- Reset Auto Numbering in Forms
- From your home page, go to Settings (gear icon)>Forms and Tabs > Forms
- Click Add New Form
- Give a name for the Form and a form link name
- Select the tabs from the drop-down to select where to place this form
- Give a description if needed
- Check the box if you would like to clone an existing form
- Check the box Enable Auto-number if you would like to have autonumbering done for your form
Note: Auto Numbering of forms helps you to automatically assign a unique sequential number, whenever a new record is added in the form. You just have to enable the auto numbering for a form which will create an auto number field and will populate a form number when a new record is added. For example, this functionality can be used for forms like training, travel, reimbursement forms etc.,
- Click Save
The Form Link name which is a unique name associated with each form helps during integration. While integrating with third-party applications, you may have more than one form with the same name. In this case, the system will take the Form Link Name to sync with third-party applications.
You can customize a form based on your needs using dragging and dropping required fields.Follow the steps given below to customize a form.
- From your home page, go to Settings (gear icon) > Forms and Tabs > Forms
You will be able to see all the Forms listed here.
- Click on the respective form which needs to be customized
- Drag and drop the fields as per your need
Changes made in the form will get saved automatically.
- Single Line: It is a one-line input field where the user can enter the text. It can contain any alphabets, number or symbols. Click Form properties to make the required changes.Ex: Employee's name, Nickname etc.,
- Multi Line: It is a multi-line input field where the user can provide multiple texts. Ex: Address, Comments etc., You can add a maximum of ten multi-line fields in one form and each tabular section can contain ten multi-line fields.
- Email: To provide the email address. Ex: Employee's personal email ID, official email ID.
- URL: To provide any web URLs. Ex: Company's website URL, Blog URL etc.,
- Number: It is used to hold the numerical values. Ex: Age, Bank account number etc.
- Decimal: It is used to hold the decimal data. Ex: Salary details like Basic pay, HRA etc.,
- Currency: Currency fields are used to hold decimal values with the currency notation(like USD, INR etc). This currency type can be selected during the customization of forms.
- Drop-down: It is used to hold a set of user defined options, out of which an option can be selected and assigned as a value to the field. Ex. Employee Grade.
- Radio: Radio field is exactly the same as the drop-down field. The only difference is the display type. Drop-down list fields, as the name indicates will be displayed as a list. Radio fields will be displayed as options in the form.
- Date: It can be used to hold date values. The date picker can be used to populate the date fields while adding a record. Ex. Date of Birth, Date of Joining etc.,
- Date-Time: It can be used to hold the time stamp value. The date-time picker can be used to populate the timestamp values for the fields while adding a record. Ex. In-Time, Out-Time etc.,
- Image: It can be used to upload any scanned copies or images. Ex. Photo
- File Upload: It can be used to upload any documents. Eg. Resume, Company policy documents etc., You can either upload the file from your desktop or from the Cloud
Note: The list of supported services are given below.
- Zoho Docs
- One Drive
- Decision box: It can be used to hold Boolean value - True or false.,
- Add Notes: It is used for holding a descriptive help text that can be useful for the users while adding a record.
- Country: It can be used to store the country information. Ex. Citizenship
- Blood group: It can be used to store the blood group information.
- Gender: It can be used to store the gender information.
- Phone: It can be used to hold the phone numbers. Ex. Mobile number, emergency contact number etc.,
- Formula: It can be used to perform some basic calculation with the fields available in the form.
- Lookup fields
A lookup field is used to create a relationship between two different forms. The lookup field will lookup the ID of the record in the source form. It displays a drop-down menu containing items from the source form. For Example, Employee ID look up in other forms like Salary, Performance Appraisal, etc,
There are four different ways to make use of this lookup fields. They are the Drop-down list (Single-select), Radio Button (Single-select), Check Boxes (Multi-select) and Multiple Select List (Multi-select).
Drop-down list (Single-select) and Radio Button (Single-select)lookup fields: Using single-select lookup field, you can able to select a single field from the drop-down list. For example, typically an employee will be assigned to only one department and hence a relationship between the Employee and Department form is created using single-select lookup field. The employee can able to view/edit the records if given permissions
Check Boxes (Multi-select) and Multiple Select List (Multi-select): Using multi-select, you can select multiple fields from the list. For example, most often multiple employees will be travelling abroad for conferences. The travel desk person can create a form using multi-select lookup field and hence he can able to select multiple employees in a single shot. The selected people in the list will be able to view/edit the records if given permissions.
Checkbox list: Using this list, you will be able to able to select more than one option in a list of checkboxes displayed.
Multiple select list: Under Multiple select list, you can select more than one option from a list.
A lookup field is used to create a relationship between two different forms. When there fields that will be repeatedly used in more than one form, the need to replicate all these fields can be eliminated by adding a lookup field. For eg. If you have a leave form where you will need the details of employees that are listed in the Employee form already, you can create a lookup in the leave form and connect it to Employee form. By doing this, you can enable users to pick the fields of the Employee form that they will need in the leave form.
To create a lookup field
- From your home page, go to Forms and Tabs > Forms and go to the form for which you need to add a lookup field
- Drag and drop the lookup field from the left side menu
- Enter details like Display Name etc
- Under Display as select the option as required
- Under Import Data from, select the form from which the fields need to be picked
- Under Field Name, select the Field name based on which the mapping has to be done - for eg, if you would like to have the mapping done based on the Employee ID in the Employee Form, you need to select Employee Id under the Field name
- Under Select Related Fields, select the other Fields that you would like to be displayed
- Check the box if your lookup is a primary look up. Click here to know what a Primary lookup field is
- Click Done
Note: You can have more related fields added to the lookup even after creating the lookup field.
Select the lookup field, go to Field Properties and under Select Related fields from, you can add more related fields to your lookup field.
When there are more than one similar lookup fields in a form, (for eg. in a training form, Employee ID, and Trainer name are two different fields but with the same lookup reference - i.e Employee ID from Employee form), primary lookup option allows the administrator to choose one of the two lookup fields as the base field for setting up permissions for the form. You can have more than one lookup fields in your form. However, the Primary lookup field is the one that will decide the owner of the record. A Primary lookup is done only for the Employee form. Let us take this scenario to under Primary lookup better.
Assume that in your leave form, you have Employee name field in which you have Primary lookup enabled. This will be linked to the Employee form. Let us assume that you have another lookup field added in your form (which also links to the Employee form), in which you want to be able to choose a person-in-charge in the absence of the Employee.
If a manager adds a leave record on behalf of an employee X, then the Employee for whom the leave is added will be the record owner and the leave balance of the particular employee will get reduced.
However, in the other lookup field, 'person in-charge' (linked to Employee form) you can choose another employee who will be in-charge in the absence of Employee X. This is a lookup field too but this lookup is only for providing information.
Look up - filters:
When you are creating a field with the Look-up option, you can also add a filter to this field.
For eg - If Employee wants to submit a request for Travel Expense of the previous month, then filters can be created in the respective lookup field to filter out the requests of the previous month alone.
To set a filter for the lookup field, follow the steps as given below.
- From your home page, go to Settings (Gear icon) > Forms and Tabs > Forms > Travel Expense
- Drag the Lookup field from the left-hand side and drop it in your form
- Enter the details like Name etc - You can give the name as Travel Month here
- Under Import Data From, give Travel Request and under Field Name, select Travel ID
- Click Done
- On the right-hand side, under Field Properties, Check 'Set Filter'
- Under Field Name, select Expected Date of Departure
- Under Condition select Last Month
- Click Done
Now, when a record is added in the Travel Expense form, under Month of Travel, the Travel details of the previous month alone will get displayed.
Let us look at another example of a Training Form where filters can be used. Let us assume that, you need only the training of the following month to be displayed when employees register for a training. In this case, you can use a Filter.
First, a Training Registration form needs to be added and then a lookup field needs to be created to link this form to the Training form in order to extract details like Date of Training etc.
Follow the steps given below to set filter.
- From your home page, go to Settings(gear icon) > Forms and Tabs > Forms > Add Form
- Enter the details and click Save
- Drag and drop the required fields from the left-hand side for Field names like Training Name, Trainer Name, etc
- Drag a lookup field, drop it and name it as Training Date
- Under Import Data from, select Training form and under Field name, select Training ID
- Under Select related fields, select Start Date, and description
- Click Done
- On the right-hand side, click on Field properties and check the box 'Set Filters'
- Under Field Name, select Start Date and Under Condition, select Next Month
- Click Done
Once this is done, when an employee registers for a Training, then he/she will be able to see only the Trainings that are happening in the next month.
Setting filters lets you have a control over the data that is shown in a field. Along with this, filters can also help decide field values based on a selection that is made. In this scenario of a Travel form, there are various options that are possible using filters. The following forms will be used in this scenario.
- Travel Claims Form
- Travel Request Form
- Employee form
The Travel Request form should have the Travel ID along with the other details. It should also have a lookup field linking it to the Employee form.
- Drag and drop a lookup field
- Give the name as Employee ID
- Under 'Import data from', select Employee and under 'Field Name', select, 'Employee ID'
- Click Done
Using this look up, you will be able to select the employee ID. You can also selected related fields like First Name, Last Name etc if you want them displayed while choosing the employee id.
After adding the lookup field, you can add other fields like 'Date of Departure' ' Date of Arrival', 'Mode of Transport' etc to the form.
Next, you can proceed to the Travel Claims form. In this form, you need to have two look up fields.One is the Employee ID look up from the Employee form and the other one is the Travel ID look up from the Travel Request form.
As the next step, you need to set a filter. Using the filter you can address three scenarios as given below.
1. If you have a particular user (like a Travel Desk agent) who does the Travel Claims of everyone, then you can set the filter according as explained below.
- Click on 'Set Filter'
- Under 'Field Name', select 'Employee ID' under User Defined Fields, under 'Condition' select, 'Is', under 'Value', select the list icon and select the User
- Click Done
- Add other fields to the Travel Claim form, like the Conveyance Bills, Food Bills etc
- Drag and drop a formula field to calculate the total claim amount
Now, when the particular agent goes to Travel > Travel Claims, he/she can create claims by clicking on the 'Add Record' icon. Under the Travel ID, all the travel requests that have made under his/her name will be listed. The claims can be submitted one by one.
Note: In this case, when other employees submit their travel request, they should select the Travel Desk agent's name under Employee ID. Only then, the requests will get listed for the agent when he/she wants to do claims for these requests.
2. If you want the travel claims done by the employees/users themselves, then you can make use of this option in the filter
- Click on 'Set Filter'
- Under 'Field Name', select 'Employee ID' under User Defined Fields, under 'Condition' select, 'Logged In User'
- Click Done
Once this is done, when an employee goes to Travel > Travel Claims form and clicks on 'Add Record', he/she will be able to see all the travel reqeusts that he/she has made and the claims can be done for these.
3. If you want the travel claims submitted by someone (the admin or travel desk agent) for requests that are created by other user/employees in their corresponding names, then you can make use of this option in the filter.
- Click on 'Set Filter'
- Under 'Field Name', select 'Employee ID' under User Defined Fields, select 'Is' under 'Condition' and under 'Value', click on 'Select Value' and select 'Employee ID'
- Click Done
Once this is done, when a travel agent/administrator goes to Travel > Travel Claims form and clicks on 'Add Record', he/she will be able to see all the travel requests of the particular employee whom they select in the Employee ID field of the Claims form. They can select a request from the list and do the claims for that request.
Formula fields are used for Formula calculations.
Zoho People's formula fields are like any other advanced custom fields. Using our function type, field type, and an operator type, you can build a formula as per your requirement. You also have the option to view all of the function's description, usage and examples for the complete understanding and moreover to make use of these in a right scenario. The administrators can create and make use of these formula expressions for multiple use cases like updating salary details, calculating reimbursements, work experience, etc.,
Operators supported in Formula Field
Listed below are supported field types for formula calculation:
List of operators
Given below is the list of all the supported operators.
- !=Not equal
- >Greater than
- >=Greater than or equal
There are four types of built-in functions: Numeric functions, Date and Time Functions, String Functions and Boolean Functions.
Numeric functions: These are used primarily for numeric calculations.
Date and Time Functions: These functions are used for date and time manipulations.
String Functions: These functions are used for string manipulations.
Boolean Functions: This function describes how to determine a Boolean value output based on some logical calculation from Boolean inputs.
To add a formula field:
- From your home page, go to Settings (gear icon)> Forms and Tabs > Forms
- Add new form or select an existing form from the forms list
- Drag and drop the Formula field into the section
- Provide Display Name and Label Name
- Click Select Function drop-down list and select the respective type of function according to your need and click Insert
- Click the required field in Select Field and click Insert
- Click respective operator in Select Operator and click Insert
- Click Check Syntax > Done. The formula will get calculated automatically based on the inserted functions, fields, and operators
To edit formula fields:
- From Home, go to Settings (gear icon) > Forms and Tabs > Forms
- Select an existing form from the list
- Hover your mouse over the specific formula field
- On the right section, you will see that you will be able to edit the field properties
To calculate employee's pay:
Using formula fields, you can easily calculate your employee's pay automatically without doing any manual calculations, using the below formula expression.
To calculate employee's project deadline:
You can send reminders when the employees' project deadline is near the end date of the Project. You can make employees aware of the deadline automatically using this following formula expression.
Apart from this, there are two system fields, 'Age' and 'Experience', which have the age and the experience of the employee automatically calculated with the help of the fields like 'Date of Birth' and 'Date of Joining'. There is no need for the formula field to be added separately for calculating these two.
Yes, it is possible to add multiple drop downs with multiple options in each drop-down.
- From your home page, go to Settings (Gear icon) > Forms and Tabs > Forms
- Click Add New form
- Enter name of the form and other details
- Click Save
- Drag and drop a drop down field
- Under Field Properties, go to 'Choices' and enter the options that you would like to be added in the drop down
- Use the + icon to keep adding to the list of options
You can also have pre-defined options populated in the drop-down. Follow the steps given below to do this.
- Drag and drop a drop down field from the editor
- Give a name
- Under 'Field Properties', click on 'Pre-defined options'
You will be able to see pre-defined options under different sections like Age, Education etc. Apart from the available options, you can also Add a new option by clicking on 'Add Options'
- Click on 'Add options'
- Enter the options one below the other and click 'Import' to have the options populated as part of the drop down
Note: If you have the list of options saved, you can simple copy and paste it here.
- Click on 'Save Template' and give a name for the template if you wish to use this template again later
Once this is done, you will be able to use the pre-defined options as part of the drop down.
- From your home page, go toSettings (gear icon) >Forms and Tabs > Forms to go to the form whose name needs to be edited and click on the form name
- On the right-hand side section, you will see the tab called Form properties
- Change the Form name
- From your home page go toSettings (Gear icon) > Forms and Tabs > Forms and click on the form in which you want to mark a field as mandatory
- Click on the Field that needs to be marked on the form
- Under Field properties, go to Validation and check the box 'Mandatory Field'
By doing so, that particular field becomes a mandatory field.
You can make a field as the mandatory field while creating a form by following the same steps.
Once you have added a field, you can enable the option 'No duplicate' for the field if you would like to retain the field as the unique field. Let us take an example. Let us consider that, you would like to restrict the number of travel requests logged for a particular event to 1 for an organization. In this case, you can create a field called 'Event name' and define this field as the unique field as a result of which, there can be only one travel request raised for this event in the organization.
To make a field as unique id,
- From your home page, go to Settings (Gear icon) > Forms and Tabs > Forms
- Go to the respective form
- Select the field that should be made unique and under 'Field Properties', check the 'No Duplicate' option
The selected field becomes the unique field.
Enable audit helps you see the history of the field. When there are changes made to the particular field, it can be easily tracked using this option.
To enable audit history:
- Go to the field name for which audit history needs to be enabled
- Under Field properties, go to Audit and check the box 'Enable audit'
While you have the option to delete custom forms (the ones that you have created), you will not be able to delete system forms. You can disable them if you do not want to use them. Under Forms and Tabs > Forms, you will see all the forms listed. You can enable or disable the forms using the icon next to the form name.
Yes. You can add more than one section in a form depending on the length of your form.
- From your home page, go to Settings (gear icon)> Form for which you need to add more sections
- Under Manager Sections, select Linear if you want a Linear section and select Tabular if you would like to select a Tabular section
- For Linear section, give section name and Description (if needed) and click Done
- For Tabular section, give the section name, select Grid or Inline, give a description if needed and click Done
However there is a limitation on the number of fields that can be added to a Tabular section.You can add only up to 10 fields in a tabular Section.
Once you have added a tabular section, hover the mouse over the tabular section.You will see a plus icon, clicking which you can add fields in the tabular section. When you click on the plus icon, you will see a drop-down from which you can select the fields. Fields other than the ones listed in this drop down cannot be added in a tabular section.
The fields that can be added in a Tabular section are listed below.
- Single Line
- Multi Line
- Email ID
- Blood Group
Sometimes, in a new form, you may need to use many of the fields of an existing form. In this case, instead of creating all the fields again, you can clone an existing form.
- From your home page, go to Settings (Gear icon)> Forms and Tabs > Forms > Add Form
- Enter the details and check the Clone Form option
You can select which form you would like to clone.
- Click Save
Auto Numbering of forms helps you to automatically assign a unique sequential number, whenever a new record is added in the form. Enabling the auto numbering for a form will create an auto number field and will populate a form number when a new record is added. This functionality can be used for forms like training, travel, reimbursement forms etc.
To auto number a form:
- From your home page, go toSettings (gear icon) > Forms and Tabs > Forms >Add New form
- Enter details like Name of the form, Placed it under etc
- Check the Enable auto-number under Auto-numbering
- Give a name, prefix and Starts from and click Save
Assume you are adding a set of records in a form with auto number enabled. As you add records, they will be auto-numbered in a sequence. However, if you would like to edit the series with a different auto-numbering, then you can make use of the 'Reset' option.
This option, lets you give a different Name and prefix to ensure that the auto-numbering is carried out right for the ensuing records.
To enable the reset option:
- Go to Settings > Forms and Tabs > Forms and go to the respective form
- Under 'Auto-numbering' click on 'Reset'
- Delete all previous records if any
- Under 'Name' and 'Prefix', enter the value that you need
Note: Deleting all previous records of the form ensures that you start with a clean slate when you add the next set of records after the auto-numbering is reset.
Once this is done, when you go to the respective form and click on'Add Record', you will be able to see that the auto-numbering is done as per what you have edited during the reset.