Email Sharing allows you to easily manage discussion around emails, using comments, without multiple forwards and replies. It is a hassle-free way to share the information in an email with your colleagues and get their opinion/ feedback/ advice about it.
Email Sharing facilitates easy collaboration around emails, with your team members and colleagues.
Often we receive emails from a customer or other business contacts, which need to be sent around to a bunch of people in the same team or organization, debated upon and discussed over before a tangible response can be sent to that person. Such emails get forwarded and replied upon endlessly, burying the original context of the email. Sometimes, it causes unnecessary delays by days, weeks and even years. There also arises a lot of confusion, owing to which we might miss some critical piece of information shared by someone in one of the emails.
The email sharing feature ensures that the context of the discussion is always centered upon the email. The collaborators share their feedback via comments, which gives contextual clarity on the response and makes sure that there are no unwanted delays or uncertainties in the response.
Every email you receive or send can be shared with anyone in the organization. You need to @mention the relevant people in the email instead of forwarding it to them. You can share it with individual users or even a Streams enabled group. The users or the members of the group will receive a notification, about the shared email. They will be able to view the email conversation and add their feedback as comments on it.
- When you share an email, the entire conversation will get shared with the chosen users.
- Even if you share from Search view, where the emails are listed as individual emails, the entire conversation will be shared to the selected users.
- The original sender of the email or the other recipients will not get notified of your comment or the shared email unless they're included in the comments.
- When you share an email to another user, they will not be able to invite a new person to view the email for security reasons.
- You can click the View all shares link, to view the list of members who are a part of the shared email and the related discussion.
Advantages of Email Sharing:
- The original email content cannot be tampered with or altered.
- The email threads are crispier, as the unwanted junk threads that form due to forwards are avoided.
- The same conversation can be shared with a new person, without having to forward multiple emails.
- Even a new person invited to the thread can easily understand the discussion and the flow of information.
While sharing the email, by default, the permissions to add invitees will be granted to everyone you share the email with. You can also Disallow members from adding invitees to that email.
Before sharing the email with your oragnization members, click the Disallow members from adding invitees icon.
You can also change your preference to Allow members to add invitees after sharing the email, in case you change your mind later.
- This icon indicates that invitees cannot be added by anyone except the one who shared the email.
- This icon indicates that invitees can be added by anyone with whom the email has been shared.
Streams are mainly built to collaborate with a team of users using Status, Notes, Tasks and Comments. Email Sharing is one of the unique features of Streams, which help the users to collaborate around emails.
When you share an email, the relevant members receive a notification about the share. The email can be read from the Streams page and commented upon by the users.
The emails shared by you with other groups or set of users can be viewed from My Posts in the Home tab.
When you share an email, the conversation of emails which are present at the time of sharing alone gets shared with other users. Suppose, the same conversation gets updated with new emails, the invited users will not be able to view those emails automatically.
You may want to review the emails and decide on refreshing the share with the new emails. The emails which are shared and those which have not been shared can be identified using the visual differentiation provided. The shared emails will have a highlighted 'share' icon whereas the emails which are the part of the same conversation, but not shared will be in gray.
To include the newer or unshared emails to the share, you can click the share icon, to update the view of the existing collaborators.
You can share a Draft of an email before you send it across. This simplifies the review process, where another person needs to verify the content before you hit Send. The other user can help you with better facts or verify the provided facts or even correct any mistakes/ typos. You can make changes based on the feedback provided to your draft via comments.
Suppose you make corrections to the draft based on the feedback and want them to review again, click Notify to All to alert the same set of users about the updated draft.